The Parameter is Incorrect

Mudd

When I get a WMP file in email I save it to a folder I made under Mudd, along with Pictures, Documents, etc. AVI's will not open in WMP. MP3s will, Power Points will open in Power Point, just AVI's won't.

Forget about this. There have been so many that have wasted time with me on this.

Not wasted time. I am learning as I go. Plus, microsoft is sooo aggravating, making it complicated...why you need to know so much just to play a movie on a computer, eh?

When your brain rests, try this:

Navigate to the folder where the actual movies are stored.

Right click on one of the titles.

The menu that pops open should have an "Open With" choice somewhere, at least it does here on XP.

Here it looks like this: th_openw-1.jpg

"Open With" should take you to a choice of programs. Here it looks like this: th_openw-2.jpg

Click on the Browse button and it should take you to program files, looks like this: th_openw-3.jpg

Click on the Windows Media Player folder and it opens, looks like this: th_openw-4.jpg

Then double click on the exe file for Windows Media Player, here it is "wmplayer.exe".

Then don't forget to click the box that says "Always use the selected program to open this type of file".

That resets things so that kind of file always opens with Windows Media Player. The screens might be a bit different for vista, but I guess the procedure is the same. Maybe some vista user would know, if so jump right in. :P

Post back if it works. I would like to know, others might also.

Also, there might be a different problem with the avi files, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't work for them.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Not wasted time. I am learning as I go. Plus, microsoft is sooo aggravating, making it complicated...why you need to know so much just to play a movie on a computer, eh?

When your brain rests, try this:

Navigate to the folder where the actual movies are stored.

Right click on one of the titles.

The menu that pops open should have an "Open With" choice somewhere, at least it does here on XP.

Here it looks like this: th_openw-1.jpg

"Open With" should take you to a choice of programs. Here it looks like this: th_openw-2.jpg

Click on the Browse button and it should take you to program files, looks like this: th_openw-3.jpg

Click on the Windows Media Player folder and it opens, looks like this: th_openw-4.jpg

Then double click on the exe file for Windows Media Player, here it is "wmplayer.exe".

Then don't forget to click the box that says "Always use the selected program to open this type of file".

That resets things so that kind of file always opens with Windows Media Player. The screens might be a bit different for vista, but I guess the procedure is the same. Maybe some vista user would know, if so jump right in. :P

Post back if it works. I would like to know, others might also.

Also, there might be a different problem with the avi files, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't work for them.

I'm concerned that I'm not getting through to you and others and that's my fault. I'll try to make this simple, like I am, so you will understand.

l. I have some 351 AVI files stored on a removable hard drive. After I've had my laughs, that's where I store them. Pending a forward to friends I keep them in a file named "AVI" in the Mudd Folder.

2 Sometime early this year the received, and stored WMP files, quit working after a double click. About that time my Graphics crapped out. Read another post somewhere and a guy had the same problem as I do and he claimed to trace it down to the graphics board. He got a new Graphics Board and all was well. I assumed that may be my problem, that is until I got a 1GB ATI 5570 Card. Nothing changed.

In a nutshell, here it is. I can single click, double click, right click and open with, and any of the other selections and nothing happens, Nothing. If I select open with and use the WMP I get the Parameter Incorrect window. The AVI click double should open the file in WMP. It doesn't. Used Hazelnut's idea of making shortcut from Program Files/Windows Media Play, and made on from the list under Start Programs. The files, WMP, just will not open in WMP unless I open the Media Player first, the File/Open and select a file in my group or external hard drive and all is well, plays just fine.

What you have suggested I have done over and over. It's just like the file isn't there if I want to open it in WMP. WMP can find It but It can't find WMP!

Am I making any sense at all? I've searched every where I know for a solution. Maybe I could go to Microsoft for an answer. Vista is still supported I guess. I went there once with a problem and I decided a man from Mexico speaking Spanish to a German speaking German would be the most complex thing to happen. Not so.!

I give up for the time being. Thank you for your efforts with the post. My windows look a little different from what you posted but it was the same subject.

I'm guessing I could reformat and get it right. Had to do that on my Laptop yesterday and until about 4Am this morning. Had 109 Updates for Vista. After that had to install Service Pack 1 and 2. That was another hour and a half.

I'm ready to quit. Sure would like to fix it before I get to 80. Way thing are going it's going to be close!!!

Thanks again,

Mudd

I'm ready to quit. Sure would like to fix it before I get to 80. Way thing are going it's going to be close!!!

Thanks again,

:lol: I'm bettin' you will. :)

I just posted that stuff up because I wasn't sure if you had tried it like that yet. Couldn't tell for sure from the wording of the various posts ... my misunderstanding. I'm not sure what else to do, so will just watch a while.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Try forcing Windows to reassign *.AVI files by doing Start, Run, (exactly as shown below)

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe" C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL .avi

Tick "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file", click "Browse" and select the location of WMP which should be "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe"

Richard S.

Try forcing Windows to reassign *.AVI files by doing Start, Run, (exactly as shown below)

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe" C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL .avi

Tick "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file", click "Browse" and select the location of WMP which should be "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe"

Richard S.

Did exactly as you said Richard. Copied the line from your post, followed the rest of the instruction and in the end this is what I got."The Parameter is Incorrect." This came after I click Open With as a double click doesn't do anything, nor does PLAY.

Thank you, you post looked like it might get a different result but didn't. I quit, don't have enough time left to worry about something like this.

Mudd

By now I would've tried dropping the PC down the stairs & see if it worked then.

This may be the best suggestion I received. I would have sent it DOA to the Junk long ago but it otherwise is a good PC. This is the only problem I've had with it. I have a slot just below the DVD for a USB removable hard hard drive, 120GB. That makes it so easy for storage. Has 8 USB plugs, Fire-ware connections, all so handy in front. Only has 2GB Memory but two extra slots and was thinking of upgrading to 4GB.

Well, maybe next winter if I survive it will come a very cold spell here and I'll have time to stay inside to reformat. Maybe, just maybe, it will come back then.

If it doesn't come back, give me an address and I'll send a part that is left to you!

Mudd

By now I would've tried dropping the PC down the stairs & see if it worked then.

:lol: There is an old incantation that sometimes works: you get down right next to its little microphone and whisper "Junkyard...Recycle...Junkyard...Recycle." Helps if you have an evil grin. :-)

:lol: There is an old incantation that sometimes works: you get down right next to its little microphone and whisper "Junkyard...Recycle...Junkyard...Recycle." Helps if you have an evil grin. :-)

Corona and you have some great ideas. What would I do then. I can' twiddle my thumbs, one is missing! Grouch would run me out of the house gabbing with her.

I have an old adding machine that is all manual. If you want 10X346 you have to put 346 and pull the handle 10 times. Not bad until you want 122X586! I could use it instead of a PC. Think that would get old after a while.

I'll make it with this one. Someday when it's fixed I'm going to post, all in caps, with the largest font I can find to say, "I got it."

Mudd

• Moderators

Mudd, I'm just fishing here, I'm not asking you to do anything in the registry, just have a look at the "Open With..." settings.

Go to "Start\Run" and enter "regedit" (no quotes), and then navigate to the following address. This is based upon my XP which I'm hoping is the same in Vista.

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.avi"

With "avi" highlighted, you should then be seeing this ...

With "OpenWithList" highlighted you should see something similar to this ...

In the first screenshot, with "avi" highlighted, to the right you can see the second entry says "Application ... "wmplayer.exe". This is the way it should look if WMP has been correctly configured to open "avi" files by double clicking on them.

In the second screenshot, with "OpenWithList" highlighted, you should see the programs capable of opening or recognizing "avi" files although I only mention that as an aside. The "avi" is the relevant one.

What shows on the right when you highlight "avi"?

Mine actually looks like this ...

... as I have MPlayer configured to open "avi" files, but I changed it for the first screenshot, and double clicking an "avi" opened it in WMP. I changed it back and they open in MPlayer again.

If the registry address is different in Vista, one of the guys will put us right.

I'm not certain this will get us anywhere, but I'm thinking along the lines of a screwed up reg entry. Worth a look.

I'm not afraid to get into the Registry. Learned the hard way. Now I always make a full backup before I mess with anything.

O.K., I'm posting what I saw using your instructions. With AVI highlighted, it sure doesn't look like your picture.

Mudd

• Moderators

Hopefully, what your first screenshot shows could be a good thing, and at least WMP is in the "OpenWithList" although it doesn't work for you.

Can't do any harm to create a new entry under "avi" for WMP, and I'll stick with my "Confucius" method.

Right click "avi" and select "New > String Value" as shown here ...

You will then have this ...

In the box enter "Application" (no quotes),and press enter, You'll have this ...

Right click on the word "Application", not anywhere else, and select "Modify" ...

Then enter "wmplayer.exe" (no quotes).

Press "OK", and it should now look like this ...

And with any luck at all, "avi" files should open with WMP when you double click them. I can't see why a Vista registry file would be different from an XP one, so fingers crossed there isn't another glitch somewhere besides that registry key being missing.

If it doesn't work, we'll try "plan B".

An afterthought. Changing that reg entry works straight away with my XP, in other words I didn't need to reboot.

Fingers crossed here Mudd that Vista doesn't work in a completely different way to XP.

Dennis. That all look good, but that's all. Progress is present as the click now on an AVI will hightlight the icon. Before, nothing when I clicked. I double checked what I did from your post and was just as you said.

You mentioned the difference in XP and Vista. The only difference I'v heard of is that Vista is part of the OS rather than an add on like XP.

Mudd

• Moderators

I have to say Mudd, that after the other guys went through just about every other possibility, I had a little hope for this one, but unfortunately it didn't quite hit the button either.

A couple of other things to hopefully make a little more progress.

Firstly, we need one of the other guys running Vista to have a look at that area of the registry, and to confirm as to whether they have a particular program configured to open a particular file type when double clicking that file.

I need to confirm as to whether that new string value you entered was in fact missing, or does it not work like that in Vista's registry. Is that particular setting different in any way to XP?

Secondly, I understand from reading the topic that all your avi files are stored on an external drive. If that's correct, move one of them onto your System Drive. It doesn't matter where you put it, maybe somewhere in "My Documents".

And then try opening it with a double click,or using the "Open With ..." menu.

I think we need to eliminate as to whether the external drive location figures in this at all. Probably not, but it would be a bugger if it did and we missed that.

Also, do you still get the "Parameter is incorrect" message?

And don't give up Mudd. There's a fix somewhere, it's just a case of hitting on it.

I have to say Mudd, that after the other guys went through just about every other possibility, I had a little hope for this one, but unfortunately it didn't quite hit the button either.

A couple of other things to hopefully make a little more progress.

Firstly, we need one of the other guys running Vista to have a look at that area of the registry, and to confirm as to whether they have a particular program configured to open a particular file type when double clicking that file.

I need to confirm as to whether that new string value you entered was in fact missing, or does it not work like that in Vista's registry. Is that particular setting different in any way to XP?

Secondly, I understand from reading the topic that all your avi files are stored on an external drive. If that's correct, move one of them onto your System Drive. It doesn't matter where you put it, maybe somewhere in "My Documents".

And then try opening it with a double click,or using the "Open With ..." menu.

I think we need to eliminate as to whether the external drive location figures in this at all. Probably not, but it would be a bugger if it did and we missed that.

Also, do you still get the "Parameter is incorrect" message?

And don't give up Mudd. There's a fix somewhere, it's just a case of hitting on it.

The AVI's on the removeable harddrive do the same as the one on my PC that has not been put on the harddrive yet. I even moved one from it to the PC and no help.

Nothing has changed Dennis, well almost nothing. I'll show in the the attachment. "Open With" and selection of WMP always gets "Parameter is incorrect." Anything else, like VLC, Irfan Viewer, will open th file. The only thing that has change since day 1 is the highlighted Icon when I double click it and the data below on the window. You will see this on the pictures, hopefully.

I have Vista Home Premimum on a Laptop. I checked the same registry entries you suggested earlier. See the pictures.

I still think you need to give up on me. It a shame that Vista is part of the OS in Vista. Check this funny: I can go the the WMP in Program Files and find all the WMP goodies. There is an Icon named "Install." I click it hopeing to reinstall WMP. I get a message that states, "Your Current Program is a Later Version than the one you are trying to install" or something similar. I'm getting that from the current WMP file!!!

Hope you can figure out the pictures. Can't do as you do with pictures, don't know how. The Registry pictures are from my Vista Laptop.

Mudd

Mudd

Mudd, the last thing this site will do is give up on you. They'll hunt down your corrupt Reg without mercy. Like the Terminator, they will never, ever stop until you or your PC is DEAD! :lol: j/k

This is a Hive site. I'm not a part of it, I'm just a witness. Even those who aren't an integral part of Spyware Hell are incredibly adept at all things Windows.

I'm finding this out. But people with skills like most here, it's a challenge. I sometime wish I had not posted this in the Forum. A lot of time is being wasted on this. But as you said, they won't give up. I believe it is a challenge to most that have posted.

Take care and thanks for the post.

Mudd

The only difference I'v heard of is that Vista is part of the OS rather than an add on like XP.

I suspect that is false.

A related fact that I do believe is that Windows 98 was the last common version of Windows under which the Operating System Boots up into DOS under Command.com,

and Windows was always a glossy GUI between the user and Command.com which drove the hardware.

Windows XP is the transition where the Operating System Boots up into Windows without any involvement with DOS,

and if you launch a BAT file then Windows launches CMD.EXE to do the DOS donkey work.

Vista and Windows 7 follow in the XP footsteps.

File/Open and select a file in my group or external hard drive and all is well, plays just fine.

If the external hard drive should ever be inaccessible that may cause major grief.

My 30 GB Laptop had 6 extra partitions on a 300 GB external USB connected HDD with independent mains power supply.

If the external drive was not powered up before the Laptop, and powered down after shutting down the Laptop,

the next time XP saw the drive it would allocate different drive letters.

Other times I was sure that the drive had been correctly powered but it still got different letters.

With new drive letters (regardless of my registry hacks) links and short-cuts to programs and data files on the External would miss the mark.

If your external drive has a little glitch in availability that could have a long term affect.

I suspect that is false.

A related fact that I do believe is that Windows 98 was the last common version of Windows under which the Operating System Boots up into DOS under Command.com,

and Windows was always a glossy GUI between the user and Command.com which drove the hardware.

WiPXows XP is the transition where the Operating System Boots up into Windows without any involvement with DOS,

and if you launch a BAT file then Windows laCMDRhes CMD.EXE to do the DOS donkey work.

Vista and Windows 7 follow in the XP footsteps.

If the external hard drive should ever be inaccessible that may cause major grief.

My 30 GB Laptop had 6 extra partitions on a 300 GB external USB connected HDD with independent mains power supply.

If the external drive was not powered up before the Laptop, and powered down after shutting down the Laptop,

the next time XP saw the drive it would allocate different drive letters.

Other times I was sure that the drive had been correctly powered but it still got different letters.

With new drive letters (regardless of my registry hacks) links and short-cuts to programs and data files on the External would miss the mark.

If your external drive has a little glitch in availability that could have a long term affect.

The USB External Hard Drive is 120GB. It plugs into a slot on the front below the DVD. I have backups of backup! Everything on the External Drive is also on a Flash Drives. Have two 10GB Flash Drives that contain everything the External has so far. It now has 18GBs, so soon I'll need another Flash Drive.

About WMP on Vista. There is no way to uninstall WMP on Vista. You cannot install a later Version. Try it and you will get "Your Version is Later than the One you are trying to install." I based my remark on people more knowlegable people than I.

I could put it all on the PC as it has a 500GB Drive with only about 40GBs on it. That way I'd have 3 way copies. If all that happens to go at one time, I don't need all the crap I've stored.

Thanks for the interesting Post.

Mudd

• Moderators

I think a slight misunderstanding here.

I'm pretty sure Mudd originally meant to say that "Windows Media Player" is more tightly integrated into the Vista Operating System than it is in XP, which makes it very difficult if not impossible to reinstall or change in any way.

I also came across that info while looking for a way to reinstall WMP in Vista. That might have fixed things in one fell swoop. If anyone can find a reinstall option somewhere, I'm sure a heads up would be appreciated.

-----------

Mudd, I'm really not wasting my time. Like most of the guys on here I find it a challenge to find a fix which although proving elusive, will be out there somewhere. I'm sure if the other guys come across anything they'll be back to the thread.

If you get tired of this, I'll by all means call it a day, but I'm enjoying myself so hang in there. I use WMP to look after my Walkman music as nothing does it better for me, and I would move heaven and earth to find a fix if it stopped working for me.

------------

So with that out of the way, I've got a couple of promising options for you.

I eventually remembered that I have a standalone exe file utility (no installer) I got sometime in the past, which I've never had to use. It's called "OpenWithAdd". It's for adding programs to the "Open With" list.

It was updated to include Vista in 2007, and it may be worth giving it a try with Windows Media Player. Although it's already in the "Open With" list, it wouldn't hurt to redo it in case the entry is glitched in any way.

"OpenWithAdd":

This little utility properly registers any program into the "Open With" list.

The other option is a file association fix which does a lot more than adding that word string I tried the other day. I searched around for more info on how these "Open With" dialogues were integrated into the registry, and I found out pretty quickly that there's more to them than I thought.

This is a simple registry file to merge into your registry to fix any problems with "avi" file association settings, including entries to associate "avi" files with Windows Media Player.

For the techie guys, or anyone else who may have an interest, this is the reg file contents ...

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi]

@="WMP11.AssocFile.AVI"

"PerceivedType"="video"

"Content Type"="video/avi"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\OpenWithProgIds]

"avifile"=hex(0):

"WMP11.AssocFile.AVI"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\PersistentHandler]

@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\ShellEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11D1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]

@="{9DBD2C50-62AD-11D0-B806-00C04FD706EC}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\ShellEx\{e357fccd-a995-4576-b01f-234630154e96}]

@="{9DBD2C50-62AD-11D0-B806-00C04FD706EC}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI]

@="Video Clip"

"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,01,00

"FriendlyTypeName"=hex(2):40,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,\

00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,\

32,00,5c,00,75,00,6e,00,72,00,65,00,67,00,6d,00,70,00,32,00,2e,00,65,00,78,\

00,65,00,2c,00,2d,00,39,00,39,00,30,00,35,00,00,00

"PreferExecuteOnMismatch"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\DefaultIcon]

@="C:\\Windows\\system32\\wmploc.dll,-731"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shell]

@="play"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shell\open]

"LegacyDisable"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shell\open\command]

@=hex(2):22,00,25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,\

00,65,00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,73,00,20,00,\

4d,00,65,00,64,00,69,00,61,00,20,00,50,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,65,00,72,00,5c,\

00,77,00,6d,00,70,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,65,00,72,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,\

22,00,20,00,2f,00,70,00,72,00,65,00,66,00,65,00,74,00,63,00,68,00,3a,00,38,\

00,20,00,2f,00,4f,00,70,00,65,00,6e,00,20,00,22,00,25,00,4c,00,22,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shell\open\DropTarget]

"CLSID"="{CE3FB1D1-02AE-4a5f-A6E9-D9F1B4073E6C}"

"MPlayer2.Bak"="{CE3FB1D1-02AE-4A5F-A6E9- D9F1B4073E6C}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shell\play]

@="&Play"

"MUIVerb"=hex(2):40,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,\

6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,\

00,75,00,6e,00,72,00,65,00,67,00,6d,00,70,00,32,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,\

2c,00,2d,00,39,00,39,00,39,00,31,00,00,00

"LegacyDisable"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shell\play\command]

@=hex(2):22,00,25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,\

00,65,00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,73,00,20,00,\

4d,00,65,00,64,00,69,00,61,00,20,00,50,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,65,00,72,00,5c,\

00,77,00,6d,00,70,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,65,00,72,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,\

22,00,20,00,2f,00,70,00,72,00,65,00,66,00,65,00,74,00,63,00,68,00,3a,00,38,\

00,20,00,2f,00,50,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,20,00,22,00,25,00,4c,00,22,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shell\play\DropTarget]

"CLSID"="{CE3FB1D1-02AE-4a5f-A6E9-D9F1B4073E6C}"

"MPlayer2.Bak"="{CE3FB1D1-02AE-4A5F-A6E9- D9F1B4073E6C}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WMPAddToPlaylist]

@="{F1B9284F-E9DC-4e68-9D7E-42362A59F0FD}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WMPPlayAsPlaylist]

@="{CE3FB1D1-02AE-4a5f-A6E9-D9F1B4073E6C}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shellex\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f}]

@="{031EE060-67BC-460d-8847-E4A7C5E45A27}"

Winhelponline File Association Fixes:

In fact if needed I'm sure one of the guys could write a reg file to remove all those entries, but probably not needed if you can restore a registry backup.

If you hadn't said earlier that you back up the registry I would have bypassed it, but as you do, and as it could possibly help, I thought it OK to offer it to you. If it doesn't help then just restore your registry. I'm guessing you use ERUNT?

Both that "Register A Program With The Open With Dialogue" utility, and this reg fix are written by the same Microsoft MVP, and you'll see from the links that they aren't from some shady source.

Finally, don't be afraid to pass on any suggestion Mudd as refusal doesn't offend, but it seems pretty obvious that this is more than likely a registry problem. If you pass, no worries, I'll keep looking.

A lot of info Mudd, so no hurry in replying or making your mind up. Come back when you do.

:)

EDIT: Although I already have WMP in my "Open With" list, I ran it through "OpenWithAdd", and it didn't do any harm. Just registered it again.

When I say I'm tired, I'm tired fearing I'm pestering people on the Forum. You're the second one that has friendly "Chastised" me for saying such. O.K. not tired, just disgusted.

Went to your program suggestion of Add On and avifix. Downloaded and ran both of them. Nothing has changed, just exactly like it was. I was so sure this time as it all looked good.

I don't use ERUNT. I've seen it mentioned but really don't know what it it. I use the Export to send the full registry to My Documents. The IMPORT to get it back. Maybe that's wrong, don't know.

This sure is a short reply for such a lot of information you sent. Thanks many time for your efforts.

Mudd

... I use the Export to send the full registry to My Documents. The IMPORT to get it back. Maybe that's wrong, don't know.

ERUNT is good, and the way you did works too.

THIS LINK has a lot of cranky vista users trying to fix the same problem you seem to have. One poster named "International Klein Blue" said that turning off the User Account control fixed it. Don't think you would want to leave it off, though.

Question: Are you loged in as an administrator? If not, log in using an administrator account and try again the fix Rridgely suggested HERE and DennisD's file association fix, the one for AVIs, from HERE, then restart and see if it works.

As far as time spent, its no big deal for me. I really want to know what finally fixes this aggravating (for you) problem. :)

ERUNT is good, and the way you did works too.

THIS LINK has a lot of cranky vista users trying to fix the same problem you seem to have. One poster named "International Klein Blue" said that turning off the User Account control fixed it. Don't think you would want to leave it off, though.

Question: Are you loged in as an administrator? If not, log in using an administrator account and try again the fix Rridgely suggested HERE and DennisD's file association fix, the one for AVIs, from HERE, then restart and see if it works.

As far as time spent, its no big deal for me. I really want to know what finally fixes this aggravating (for you) problem. :)

I've looked at the link with the problems. Glad some are happy. Most are still lost in the woods along with me. Did all the things I could find that someone said worked. Mine didn't! Did you notice that the posts go all the way back to 2007?

You mentioned Registry backup. Mine didn't back up for the first time ever, see picture. I've used Ex and Import without a flaw until today. So far the PC doesn't seem to care so I don't sweat it.

I run with User Account Off. So I shouldn't, get tired of having an extra click to get somewhere. Couldn't find the picture of the windows, must have deleted. It went something like, Can't do the import because some of the file you are wanting to restore are being used, etc.

Thanks, bedtime here.

Mudd