The Parameter is Incorrect

Mudd

There is an old thread from me about WMP not opening but I think a new one will be more appropriate. When I double click WMP icon from a file I have, nothing happens. When I select Open With WMP I get "The Parameter is Incorrect." I thought it because my Graphics Card had bit the dust as was suggested on another forum from some guy. That was his problem with it. Sounded reasonable to me so I waited until I got a new Card from recommendation on this forum. Got the ATI Radon 5570. Still have the exact problem after the new Graphics Card

I can open WMP and go to Open, select the file and it will open. Seems it's just the shortcut that is not working but Open With also will not go.

Several on the this forum recommended that I use VLC which I did but still miss the WMP as I can adjust the color, contrast, brightness, etc.

Went to Default Programs and associated all the files with WMP to no avail. Am I clear enough with information to understand my problem? Sometime I write and after reading I don't understand...!

Mudd

Could you post more details, i.e. OS version and WMP version.

Have you tried running chkdsk using "chkdsk.exe /f" (without quotes)??

Have you installed/uninstalled any 3rd party codec packs??

Richard S.

Could you post more details, i.e. OS version and WMP version.

Have you tried running chkdsk using "chkdsk.exe /f" (without quotes)??

Have you installed/uninstalled any 3rd party codec packs??

Richard S.

Richard I knew better to post details, just gray matter got behind.

Vista Home Premium

WMP 11.6002

Memory 2GB

And no I haven't ran Chkdsk, and yes I did install 3rd party codec pack, trying to help myself.

I've never ran a Chkdsk, so I'll try it now.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Mudd

Just finished the Chkdsk.exe and saw nothing that was fixed or changed on the screen. Tried to run WMP, no luck. Seems as if something is the matter with the shortcut, but I can change the properties and let it be VLC and it open just fine.

I'll wait until I hear from you or someone before trying anything else. Just for your information, this started long ago and I don't remember when. That's why I downloaded the third party Codex. Maybe I should get rid of them??

Mudd

• Moderators

Some codec packs can cause serious problems on a system, hence the reason self contained packages like VLC Media Player are so good since they won't mess with the installed system codecs. I don't know if it will help or not however I'd start by removing the 3rd party codec pack, then run a registry cleaner because it will likely leave stuff behind, and then finally open Windows Media Player and re-associate all file types in it.

Some codec packs can cause serious problems on a system, hence the reason self contained packages like VLC Media Player are so good since they won't mess with the installed system codecs. I don't know if it will help or not however I'd start by removing the 3rd party codec pack, then run a registry cleaner because it will likely leave stuff behind, and then finally open Windows Media Player and re-associate all file types in it.

Thank you Sir, I will do that now. If all goes well I'll reply. If not, I'll be quiet and pout.

******************************************************************************************************

I'll not pout after all. Still no help. After uninstallation, found 7 entries in the Registry that were left behind. They are gone now. It appears that I'm going to have to go the long way to use WMP or settle for VLC. VLC is great but I was so used to WMP because of what I mentioned earlier, brightness, color, contrast, etc., and maybe VLC has all that also. Just haven't settled in to that program. Thanks a lot for the help.

Mudd

• Moderators

Thank you Sir, I will do that now. If all goes well I'll reply. If not, I'll be quiet and pout.

Sounds like a registry issue to me, however that's a guess on my behalf. Depending upon what version of Windows you have reinstalling Windows Media Player may help.

Sounds like a registry issue to me, however that's a guess on my behalf. Depending upon what version of Windows you have reinstalling Windows Media Player may help.

I'm using WMP 11. Isn't that a part of Vista Home Preimum? I'll try to find it somewhere and install over what I have. It's not list on the Control Panel for uninstall.

Mudd

I was so used to WMP because of what I mentioned earlier, brightness, color, contrast, etc., and maybe VLC has all that also

VLC does colour tweaking just press the icon at the bottom with the 3 vertical sliders, then "Video Effects" tab, enable "Image adjust" and slide.

Unfortunately VLC doesn't remember your settings when you close it so you have to keep applying the colour corrections.

For a more permanent solution go to your graphics card display properties most have the ability to tweak "Overlay" colours which is independent to your desktop colours.

Richard S.

LCC doescolorr tweaking just press the icon at the bottom with the 3 vertical sliders, then "Video Effects" tab, enable "Image adjust" and slide.

UnfortunatelLCLC doesn't remember your settings when you close it so you have to keep applying thcolorur corrections.

For a more permanent solution go to your graphics card display properties most have the ability to tweak "Overlacolorsurs which is independent to your desktop colours.

Richard S.

I have found what you mention above. I'm not an expert at changing things but I see what you mean. I'm trying it now. I believe it's where it indicates "Let applications" do so and do or set it to my preference.

Thanks for the two posts you gave me. Own you a lot of thanks.

Mudd

Hi, Mudd. I found these links. Please excuse if you have already tried them. I've never used vista, so am swinging in the dark here.

For Vista: Microsoft ... ASK LEO ... winvistaclub

That third link suggests a utility called "Types". It is for vista and xp and is free. I installed it and used it here (xp) and it worked but it isn't very straightforward.

It makes registry changes, and I would never have tried it except under powershadow.

Edit: Don't use it. I think it messed something up here, was unable to open links after installing it. ???

Maybe some other member can say more about it.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Hi, Mudd. I found these links. Please excuse if you have already tried them. I've never used vista, so am swinging in the dark here.

That third link suggests a utility called "Types". It is for vista and xp and is free. I installed it and used it here (xp) and it worked but it isn't very straightforward.

It makes registry changes, and I would never have tried it except under powershadow.

Edit: Don't use it. I think it messed something up here, was unable to open links after installing it. ???

Thanks for the info. I"m going to try any/everything that is available from you folks on the Forum. Don't think anyone would purposely steer me wrong.

Mudd

I've been to first two you sent. Looked but didn't fool with the third link on your advice. Thank to you

Mudd

Just checked that third link again, and sure enough that "Types" application messes something up. Now the links work, but every movie I try to play opens in Sandboxie.

Not worried about it, will be gone after a restart. No idea why, just an FYI in case anyone else tries it.

Hey Mudd, you having any luck?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

Try this:

Go to Start - > Type Run in the Search Box and press enter - > type regsvr32 wmp.dll (or copy/paste in) and press ok/enter.

You should get a message saying it was successful.

Let me know if this works, I found it on another site and people claim it was working, it just re-registers WMP.

Did as you ins truced. It was a success window appeared. But that was the only success. Still the same. Icon is a dead one.Nothing happens when trying to click it. Right click and OPEN WITH and "The Parameter is incorrect." I'm still using VLC but I like WMP better. Maybe after a while I will get used to it.

Thanks for the try.

Mudd

Mudd

• Moderators

When you right-click on the WMP desktop shortcut and select properties, is the target pointing to where WMP is installed?

If it's wrong see here how to change it.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/94305-shortcut-target-path-location.html

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

When I right click I don't get the properties shown in your link. I get GENERAL SECURIY and DETAILS. No shortcut listed. Could it be that the link mentions Vista64 when I have Vista32?

Mudd

I can open WMP and go to Open, select the file and it will open. Seems it's just the shortcut that is not working but Open With also will not go.

Hi, Mudd. As you have said, you can open WMP then select a file and it will open. That means the file plays, right?

How do you "open WMP"? In other words, what do you click on to get WMP to open, so that from there you can play a file?

I don't have Vista so can't offer much help, but that question may help others understand whats wrong.

• Moderators

When I right click I don't get the properties shown in your link. I get GENERAL SECURIY and DETAILS. No shortcut listed. Could it be that the link mentions Vista64 when I have Vista32?

When you right-click on any desktop shortcut and select properties there should be a box which says target. This tells the shortcut where to look for the program. Do any of your desktop shortcuts show a target?

If they do, what is different about the WMP shortcut?

Have you tried deleting the shortcut and making another shortcut to the WMP?

You could do this by doing start-programs, finding WMP in list, highlight it, select send to desktop (create shortcut) option, or something very similar in Vista.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi, Mudd. As you have said, you can open WMP then select a file and it will open. That means the file plays, right?

How do you "open WMP"? In other words, what do you click on to get WMP to open, so that from there you can play a file?

I don't have Vista so can't offer much help, but that question may help others understand whats wrong.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I go to the Program List from the Start Menu and then to Programs. Click it there, it opens. From there I click OPEN on the WMP and my file open that has my WMPs on it. Select the one I want and it plays. Again, what's haywire is clicking on a WMP from a location expecting it to open. It's like clicking thin air, as if it's not there. No busy icon, no blink, no anything. Change that same icon to open with VLC and it work like a charm.

Mudd

When you right-click on any desktop shortcut and select properties there should be a box which says target. This tells the shortcut where to look for the program. Do any of your desktop shortcuts show a target?

If they do, what is different about the WMP shortcut?

Have you tried deleting the shortcut and making another shortcut to the WMP?

You could do this by doing start-programs, finding WMP in list, highlight it, select send to desktop (create shortcut) option, or something very similar in Vista.

Odd that your post wasn't send to me my email. I noticed it while reading one from another.

So I did what you suggested and here is what I have. I put a shortcut to WMP on the desktop hoping it would work. I moved the WMP file I'm trying to open from it location to the desktop hoping it might open from there. No it won't, and yes all the desktop icons show the shortcut item. In an earlier post I said it didn't. I was using the Icon File itself looking for the shortcut. Please overlook that mistake. It's been a very long night for me

I really don't want to reformat just to get this thing to work. I did that on my Laptop through the night just yesterday and this morning. Hope I'm making sense as my Brain is tired and sleepy!

Mudd

• Moderators

When you make a shortcut on the desktop for a program you must leave the program itself in its original location or the shortcut will not know where to find it.

When you feel less tired Mudd, and after making sure WMP is in Program Files (original location), make a desktop shortcut and check via right-click properties what the target says (in other words, where is it looking for the program)

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

When you make a shortcut on the desktop for a program you must leave the program itself in its original location or the shortcut will not know where to find it.

When you feel less tired Mudd, and after making sure WMP is in Program Files (original location), make a desktop shortcut and check via right-click properties what the target says (in other words, where is it looking for the program)

Made a shortcut from the WMP on the Programs off Start. Also went to Program Files, found Windows Media Player, made a shortcut there and moved it to desktop. So now I have two shortcuts for WMP, one made from Start Programs and the other from Program Files and WMP. A little progress is being made. Now when I click the WMP file I want to see, the icon blinks once! That's new but still all else is the same. It will not open. Right click and open with gives me the Parameter is Incorrect. From both shortcuts, I can open WMP and then Open again to the file I want to play and it plays in WMP>

When I get a WMP file in email I save it to a folder I made under Mudd, along with Pictures, Documents, etc. AVI's will not open in WMP. MP3s will, Power Points will open in Power Point, just AVI's won't.

Forget about this. There have been so many that have wasted time with me on this.

I'll just Pi** and moan about it and maybe someday I'm forget it.

Thank you and all the others.

Mudd