$LogFile (NTFS Volume Log)!

SMalik

• Moderators

Now that would be crazy. The $LogFile is a log of system metafile changes, is referenced at bootup to validate the state of the metafiles, is required for the recycler and other sys components, and doesn't hold user data anyway.

East -Tec Eraser 2011 has this option. I am using this program for the last 4 years without any problem.

The $LogFile is called the 'transaction logging file' and it does contain sensitive data.

Information on $LogFile (NTFS Volume Log)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/101670

Edited by Nergal
Removed link, if people want that software they will find it themselves

• Moderators

Of course I should put 'as far as I know, or can find out' before every statement, but that gets a drag. So, as far as I know the $LogFile records changes to metafiles, particularly, or maybe exclusively depending on what source you're reading, the MFT. The $UsnJrnl, disabled in XP and enabled in Vista, records changes to user files, even if the changes are to the file's metadata. According to Wikipedia $UsnJrnal does not include 'all' changes to data, so cannot be used to reinstate user data changes. And if the $LogFile holds metadata info, neither can that.

$UsnJrnl is application based and can be deleted and recreated. I don't use it and I have survived many a power outage. I would say that $LogFile is absolutely critical to NTFS and you would mess with it at your peril.

Your Microsoft link describes File System recovery, not user data. I can't find any reference to LogFile, or log, or journal, or transaction on the East-Tec site.