Need a little MS Office installation help

Tom AZ

I could use a little help. Actually, I'm rather embarrassed that I can't seem to figure this out.

I have several components of MS Office 2000 currently installed (Word, Excel, etc). I know this is antique software, but it still serves my needs very adequately. However, for some reason, Publisher won't function without the original installation CD loaded in the CD drive ? then it works just fine. Every time I click on the Publisher icon, it asks me to insert Disk 2. I've tried over and over to re-install it and it always looks as if the install is going just fine, but once the CD is removed, it won't work and I can't even access it. It always wants to read/access everything exclusively from the CD ? not from my HDD. (By the way, the other Office modules work just fine directly from my HDD).

I must be doing something wrong. How do I get this module (Publisher) to install completely on my HDD?

• Moderators

Uninstall Clip Art, or move it to the Hard drive, Disc Two is The Clip Art and iirc it's defaulted to "installed on first use". I think you can choose to change you Office product in Add/remove programs and can set it to either installed on drive or not installed. If I remember correctly (I just finally dumped my last Office 2K last year) That should fix your problem.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hopefully, you're on to something. However, I was sure what you meant by "uninstall clip-art." Can you elaborate?

Also, what exactly is meant by "installed on first use?"

• Moderators

I don't know about Office 2000, however in Office 2003 if the file opa11.bak is deleted it will force a repair/reinstall, many cleaning tools that go by "junk" file extensions will offer to delete it, however it must be excluded.

To make sure Office (any version) doesn't constantly ask for the install CD allow it to copy the most data possible to the hard disk during installation, then even during Microsoft Updates you won't be asked to insert the install CD since all of the *.CAB files will be located on the hard disk. In Office 2003 it's stored in a hidden MSOCache folder in the root of the hard disk or partition with the most free space available, i.e.; C:\MSOCache

Nergal... I owe you a HUGE apology! I'm not sure what I did on my first try, but I just went back through your suggestions again, and it now appears that everything is working perfectly. THANK YOU so much.