Unremovable Registry Entires

war59312

Hey,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or what. But boy is it annoying as heck.

Well, first see this screen shot please:

cc6oo.th.png

Well, Crap Cleaner is unable to fix all of them. However, I soon realized that this is because Administrator does not have full registry permissions.

So in order to remove entries like these you have to manually for every single one of them, one at a time, set the correct full permission using regedit. And then remove them via CC.

Like So:

cc9df.th.png

This is annoying and takes forever when you have lots of them.

So I'm wondering if it's a bug?

And if not can you in some way work around this issue. For instance by changing the registry entry permission to full automatically when removing such registry entries?

Well thanks!

Take Care,

Will

Hey,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or what. But boy is it annoying as heck.

Well, first see this screen shot please:

cc6oo.th.png

Well, Crap Cleaner is unable to fix all of them. However, I soon realized that this is because Administrator does not have full registry permissions.

So in order to remove entries like these you have to manually for every single one of them, one at a time, set the correct full permission using regedit. And then remove them via CC.

Like So:

cc9df.th.png

This is annoying and takes forever when you have lots of them.

So I'm wondering if it's a bug?

And if not can you in some way work around this issue. For instance by changing the registry entry permission to full automatically when removing such registry entries?

Well thanks!

Take Care,

Will

22672[/snapback]

Hello Will,

I cannot help you with your XP problem but I can recommend your use a half decent registry cleaner. This one does not aspire to much, and, if you have MSWord, well, do be careful.

See my post in this forum:

http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showto...id=22742&st=0

Cheers.

Ben.

• Moderators

aarhus 2004,

You are intitled to your opinion even if it is wrong!!

10 million downloads of ccleaner is as good a recommendation as you are going to get.

War 59312,

Please wait until one of the qualified advisors is able to help you. Shouldn't be too long.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hello all,

I've got the same kind of problem.

I'm logged as administrator and I've 178 keys which are listed to be fixed.

CCleaner seems to do its job and says it has fixed everything, but if I check once again, everything is as it was previously : still 178 keys to fix :(

What's wrong ?

First, why CC says the job is done as it is not done ? If it is unable to do, it should say "unable" instead of "done", no ?

Second, I did use CC in safe mode and Admin account : same problem :(

Most of the files (but not all) with which CC has a problem deal wtih Norton Ghost (never use Norton :lol: )which has been uninstalled a while ago (see screenshot below):

ccleaner3gr.th.png

An other idea ?

Thanks Andavari and rridgely for your help.

Limerick click fix and then click the fix all button. Do any of the entries go away?

23043[/snapback]

As far as I understand you, it is the normal use of CC, isn't it ?

I click on the "Fix the selected errors" button (translated from french) and then I click on the "Fix all the selected errors". CC seems to do its job, finishes by a box saying everything has been done and if I check later, all keys are all still here.

I've already try the fix "one by one" button : same :(

Google SymNRT and use it to remove the old Norton junk.? ;)

23053[/snapback]

Thank you Tarun,

I'll try it, but I don't understand why CC can't manage to succeed ? :(

EDIT : I ran all Norton utilities to remove everything concerning Norton and I still my 178 keys left :angry: Never, never use (or try) any kind of Norton software :angry:

Ok I tried TuneUp Utilities 2006 just after CC failed to fixe the 178 damaged keys it found.

TU 2006 found 461 problems. Som of them seemed to the same as CC found.

Tu 2006 stated it fixed all these problems. It did not find any of them anymore after a re-check.

Then I ran CC which found 6 problems (instead of the 178 it was unable to fix, even if it stated the opposit).

CC was able to fix 3 of these 6 problems (really fix because it did not find anymore 3 of them).

Then now from the 178 problems found by CC (and the 461 found by TU), I still have 3 problems left... dealing with a Norton folder located in C:\Program Files which WIN XP refuses me to delete because it's in use... And I haven't been running a Norton software for a long time :blink:

So I'm a bit disappointed by CCleaner which I wished to keep :huh:

Any Idea for my Norton folder to remove ?

I'm not. Crappy programs will leave crappy reg-keys with you having to change their permissions. Its not CCleaner's fault, its the crappy programs.

23098[/snapback]

:D I agree with you about Norton Crappy programs, but I thought I was using a CrapCleaner ;)

In order to properly clean the registry (with any registry cleaning program) you need to logon with the Administrator account for your system, if you haven't done so already.

22790[/snapback]

I am logged into Admin account when this happens.

See I I was just wondering if it's a bug or not and if it can be fixed if it is. I already have the working workaround. It's just a pain in the butt, just like if you where to have to use other software to "clean up" CC's current issue.

So I am looking for a developer to answer my question if at all possible.

Well thanks,

Will

• 2 weeks later...
So is no one else having this issue?

Will not bump again. ;) Hey it's been two weeks so. :P

23826[/snapback]

cheer up you are not alone i have the same problem 82 issues -unused file extensions and Activex. Have tried to remove manuallly using reg edit but get error message

cannot open-------- error while opening key

can anyone tell me what this is and how to fix it .

an iodiot's guide please as i am not to familiar with registry workings.

yours in hope

Norm

Some registry keys are protected/locked. For an example ZoneAlarm does that with some registry keys to protect itself.

23978[/snapback]

Yes you're right and it's the same for all Norton's stuff... :angry: Never use Symantec products !!!

But could it exist a way to unlock all this keys with a fast and easy way ? A feature inside CC or before using CC... ?

Yes you're right and it's the same for all Norton's stuff...  :angry:  Never use Symantec products !!!

But could it exist a way to unlock all this keys with a fast and easy way ? A feature inside CC or before using CC... ?

23982[/snapback]

You can try:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RegDelNull.html