Bugs in Defraggler

• Moderators

with the aim of keeping on topic.

I don't think @bert07 that your situation is a bug - at least not enforced by the fact that anyone else has voiced a concern that DF is killing hard drives - yet.

yes, there are some threads currently opended on the discussion of the speed of DF.

I still think you would be wise to check out some stats on the SMART data of your drive.

Also running a CHKDSK with the /r switch would shed some light on the drive's health.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

. . . 

And as I said: I had this problem before with another defrag program (I do not know anymore which program that was; I will never use it anymore).

. . . 

Years before, I stopped using that other program, and I never had that problem again, till lost week with the latest update of Priform Defraggler.2.20.

. . . 

I make new image-back-ups every week (I have 9 systems on my computer) but only 1 Windows. as Drive-C.

. . . 

Mind you: I run Defragler at least once a day for years. Without any problems. So I know the program.

. . . 

I solved it at the end by competely format the C-drive, and after that put my back-up back (Acronis).

I had put THE SAME back-up back without formating, and the problem just got worse.

Even Chkdsk crashed on the drive.

. . .

The first thought I had is that there is a LOT of defragging and image restoring going on with this drive, and has been for years.  

I don't know if the problem is caused by a bug in Defraggler, especially considering that other defraggers have caused it.

And I'm not trying to defend Defraggler.  

But, if it was my computer, I would immediately get a new drive and use Acronis to clone this one onto it. This one may be wearing out.  

Just saying . . . its something to think about.  

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Made 2 screenshots of 2 things that need to be improved in the next version of Defraggler:

- DF still lists/moves files/folders that start with a "$". See 1st picture.

- I checked the box called "Move large files to the end of the drive" but when I put DF to work then it looks like this option hasn't been selected at all (see inside the red box). Then the check box inside the red box should be like the check box inside the blue box. See 2nd picture.

Edited by Willy2

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

But, if it was my computer, I would immediately get a new drive and use Acronis to clone this one onto it. This one may be wearing out.  

Just saying

True, and I plan to indeed buy a new drive (I have 3 drives in my sistem) but I can not do that at this moment. I'm having severe money problems. But if possible, I'll buy a new drive in March.

bert07, please forgive my impertinence.  The old cash flow problem affects all of us from time to time.   :(  

I just wasn't sure if you had thought of just plain old wear and tear as a cause for the problem.  

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

A follow up on post/reply #78:

- I ticked the box called "Move large files to end .................." in the "Defrag" screen. See screenshot #2.

- I made DF analyze the C: drive, and while it was analyzing that drive I clicked on "Settings", "Defrag" and made a screenshot of the "Defrag" menu. (Note that the check box called "Move large files to end ................. " got grayed out/unchecked.) See screenshot #1

- As soon as DF had finished analyzing the entire menu/pane gets un-"grayed out" but the big surprise is that the option/box "Move large files to end .................... " gets checked (!!!!!!!), reflecting the TRUE state of the option "Move large files to end ................ " !!!! (See screenshot #2).

Hey everybody, newbie here just wanted to know if a full day doing a defrag is acceptable, only says 10gig of fragmented files over 500 gig but taking for ages, 

Any idea, clues or steps I shoul dtake or just find some patience!!

Thanks kiwiforce

- Here's another bug that keep "bugging" me and that hasn't been fixed in the latest version. I installed 4 different instances of DF. Each installed program has its own (and different) settings in the file "Defraggler.ini". I told each instance of DF to store the settings in that *.ini file, instead of storing them in the registry, because otherwise each instance of DF would use the same settings. And then an annoying bug shows up. DF doesn't manage the folders well that are supposed to be excluded.

Recently I deleted 3 (or was it 4 ?) folders from the "Exclude" screen. But when I close DF and re-open the program again then surprisingly one folder showed up twice and one folder even showed up 4 times. See the picture attached.

Recently one of the Piriform developers wanted to have "Feedback". Well, if Pirifrom would fix a number of bugs in DF (as reported in this thread) then - at least - the DF GUI would be much less confusing and much less annoying. It would be - at least - for me much less frustrating to use the DF option(s) (screen(s)).

Edited by Willy2

A follow up on the previous post:

- Even when I add one or more folders to the "Exclude" list then DF doesn't remove the folder(s) that are listed more than once. Odd, very odd.

- The "Move files to end of the drive" option in DF v2.20 still has some SERIOUS problems. I have one folder with some 2.680 audio files. I told DF to move those files (in total 59 GB) to the end of the drive. First DF told me that the amount of time needed would be more than one day. Then DF told me that the "Remaining time" would be 12 hours and then after say 20 minutes DF told me that DF had completed the task. But when I used the "Search" feature of DF then it revealed that only a minor amount of files were moved towards the end of the drive. Odd, VERY odd.

- However, I noticed something peculiar. I think DF could be running into some (weird) "brick wall". I noticed that when Windows makes a System Restore Point (SRP) then Windows places all the files needed for that SRP in the 2nd half of my HD (towards the end of the drive). I could image that there's a clash/conflict between DF on the one hand and System Restore on the other hand. And I DO know that System Restore use the VSS Service. (What do you mean: Windows is complicated ?).

Edited by Willy2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the Move Large Files thing has been very disappointing. I just updated because this fuction is stated as having been optomized in this version. Yes, first thing a defrag seems to do is take items that were at the end of the drive and write them, hugely fragmented, up to the front of the drive where i would expect, say, core OS files to stay. But it seems to unnecessarily move files (and differently with every defrag) which should be perfectly happy where they were in the first place.  At least i can poke things around a bit manually.

Still a better defrag than many, including some fairly pricey ones. But i kind of long for somethhing like the Symantec defrag of the mid 90s.

I installed Defraggler 2.20 on my other computer (a laptop running Windows 7 SP1 with all updates).

The installer crashed, and I got the message that Windows was looking for a sollution for the problem.

The next time around it DID install Defraggler without any errors displayed.

When I ran it, it went very slow (as it did on my desktop) and I did NOT trust it anymore, so I went back to version 2.19, which installed fine and ran fluidly.

I really do not trust Defraggler 2.20 anymore..

There is really something wrong with it..

You say that it is not possible that Defraggler can cause bad sectors. But when I ran 2.19 I had no problem what so ever.

It ran smoothly.

Installed 2.20 on my desktop (and laptop 2 days ago) and it ran very slow. and I got bad sectors.

There IS something wrong with this version.

I await version 2.21, and see how goed that one installs, and how fast or slow that program runs.

If it is really slow, there is really something wrong with it.

---+---

I ALWAYS deactivate my virusscanner (Avira free) before running Defraggler.

So that can not be the cause of Defraggler 2.20 running way out slower than version 2.19.

And really, as my laptop (the other computer) gets error messages because it can not install correctly, than there is something wrong with the program.

• Moderators

The above is the reason I dislike this thread. To even possibly begin aiding @bert07 they need their own thread. A thread, which stays near the top, called "bugs in..." is a magnet for everyone to post there.

@bert07 if you do wish help can you please return and open a new thread so your particulars can be catered to.

@Willy2 can we speak, maybe, of differentiating your bug lists (on various boards) by allowing a mod staff member change the titles of the various threads to a less generic title

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

- Well. You can start with closing this thread and moving Bert's to a separate new thread. I'll try (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) to come up with a solution for this "generic title" problem. Perhaps opening a new thread when a new version of a Piriform program has been reelased would be more to the liking of the moderators ??

• Moderators

None of that is needed, just a better title to not magnet, I meant no offence (dislike may have been to strong, and it's solely my opinion and I've no idea if it is shared by other mods).

Just to be clear I think you @Willy2 provide a great service to the developers with your reporting, I just think something like "willy2's observed defraggler bugs" or something that rolls off the tongue better might make less people drop their bugs into it.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

I've got nothing against this topic, and have always looked at what Willy2 posts about the bugs he's found.

"willy2's observed defraggler bugs" or something that rolls off the tongue better might make less people drop their bugs into it.

I think changing the title will make little difference, as long as the wording "defraggler and bug" is anywhere in the title.

Perhaps just "Willy2's Observations" would help -- then again maybe it would also make little difference. Reason being if people search via Google, Bink or whatever search engine from outside of the forum to hunt down issues they've encountered the topic could possibly be one of the links provided.

• Moderators

I'm fine ok with "me too's" (the phenomena that andavari describes where a similar bug is linked via search engine) but berts bug (which was quite long and I'm not even sure I understood the post) might have gotten attention if it were it's own thread (btw i'd move it, but can't in the current mode I visit the site (mobile app))

• Moderators

Also perhaps consider that the defraggler bug forum section, by default, only shows last 30 days so it could seem to a new poster that 'bugs in defraggler'' is where bugs are supposed to be reported.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com