What happened the "slim" build of CCleaner?

Bruce McDonald

When a new build of ccleaner is released it is always a few days later that a slim build appears.

Just hang on, it'll not be long!

I just wanted to jump in here and point out a few things.

Your statement is technically incorrect and REALLY gives false hope!

Once upon a time (a year~ ago) it was only a few days later, months ago the norm was only one or 2 weeks (and 2 weeks was uncommon but not rare), however in the past 2~ months the time has drastically increased (compared to "a few days"), an example in progress (aka so you can see for yourself that the statement is incorrect) is Defraggler! its already passed the 2 week mark since Defraggler's latest release (April 14th) and I get the feeling its going to keep increasing (and on a side note, this is the LONGEST I have seen between a release and a "wheres the slim" forum topic since i normally check out the bug reports section of the forum on BLOAT release day visits).

So just to put it bluntly, im not trying to be rude (comes out like that anyway, dont really care, face to face gives a totally different feeling then reading plain text), but heres your reply, fixed:

"When a new build of any freeware by piriform is released it is always about a month or so later that a slim build appears."

* as a side note, due to the fact i normally check every day, this is pretty accurate, however there might have been times that i was away for a good 4-7 days on the rare occasion and you can of course adjust for variances if you wish and of course if you have exacts for the last year~ on BLOAT and SLIM release dates then I would appreciate seeing this detailed information as well as a fancy graph showing the increase in time between BLOAT and SLIM build release dates

• Moderators

You posted in the ccleaner forum and asked where the 'slim' version was. Now you seem to be talking about Defraggler.

I gave you the same answer that has been given for the last few ccleaner builds, just be patient and it will appear.

Perhaps be glad that it appears at all, as it is the full versions which generates income to keep users such as yourself supplied with the slim version as a free download.

If you don't want to wait for the free slim version, why don't you just download the free full version making sure that the offer of downloading chrome remains unticked.

It does not take a month for a slim version of ccleaner to appear, do not attempt put words in my mouth.

As for the suggestion that you be provided with detailed graphs......

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

At the risk of being rude, which I don't intend to be, it never ceases to amaze me when people talk about the normal build of CCleaner as "bloat", and the option of installing "Google crap".

If I was Piriform I wouldn't even provide a "slim" version after reading comments like the ones here, as you really don't deserve a free program with no options to click out of.

I use all free software on my computer, and I haven't yet come across a software house which provides a "slim" version of their free software, and I've never considered it as sneaky to see a toolbar or browser option.

To me, it is absolutely no problem at all to uncheck a couple of boxes to obtain a free version of something someone has actually spent a lot of time putting together, probably at some cost.

In the almost 6 years I've been on this forum, I have never downloaded the "slim" version of any of Piriforms software, and I have never looked at is as "bloat" or accidently installed "Google Crap".

If it did happen because of some glitch, I would simply remove it and get on with my life.

If I was Piriform I would scrap all the "slim" builds tomorrow.

I agree Dennis.. People take entirely too much for granted, and, it if REALLY means that much to them to download ~300kb less than 2,991, they can simply download the portable version and paste the files into the install directory. If you use IE as your browser, you get the Google Toolbar offered to you, not something most people want, but is it honestly worth waiting an indefinate amount of time for an installer that is almost identical to the normal one, except instead of having a box to ignore the offer, it has it removed?

If you have Google Chome on your computer and use Firefox as your browser, you don't get offered anything and if you decline the offer in the installer, it writes to the registry not to offer it again for a certain period of time... so really there is no excuse for whining about a slim version of an application that is already free.

I don't mean to sound rude either, but really guys?

So just to put it bluntly, im (sic) not trying to be rude (comes out like that anyway, dont (sic) really care, face to face gives a totally different feeling then (sic) reading plain text

I agree. Face to face does tend to be a bit more polite. :D

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

At the risk of being rude, which I don't intend to be, it never ceases to amaze me when people talk about the normal build of CCleaner as "bloat", and the option of installing "Google crap".

If I was Piriform I wouldn't even provide a "slim" version after reading comments like the ones here, as you really don't deserve a free program with no options to click out of.

I use all free software on my computer, and I haven't yet come across a software house which provides a "slim" version of their free software, and I've never considered it as sneaky to see a toolbar or browser option.

To me, it is absolutely no problem at all to uncheck a couple of boxes to obtain a free version of something someone has actually spent a lot of time putting together, probably at some cost.

In the almost 6 years I've been on this forum, I have never downloaded the "slim" version of any of Piriforms software, and I have never looked at is as "bloat" or accidently installed "Google Crap".

If it did happen because of some glitch, I would simply remove it and get on with my life.

If I was Piriform I would scrap all the "slim" builds tomorrow.

To make things simple, I have often said that when I am capable (happens now and again) I would pay/donate to get the Slim version, as it stands, I HAVE donated before hoping to maybe see something change/come out faster.

For me, I redo my pc every other month (sometimes theres a month or 2 lapse), AND I deal with VM's alot I setup then destroy then setup again.

I have many a times accidentally skipped passed the bloatware options and installed them, its VERY annoying, its also a pain to have to manually find reg entrys and file/folder left behind because over 90% (remember percentages are pulled from peoples ass's) of the software I use/deal with cant make an uninstaller that actually "totally" uninstalls (mountainous software that "advertises" this ability aside)

As for "if you where Piriform you would scrap "slim" builds", thats fine, then the untold amounts of people with my mentality (wont lie, most of them are software pirates) on dealing with BLOAT infested software would strip it out and it would appear on 0Day and AppADay sites on the SAME day that Piriform releases an actual software update. I am sure they don't do that CURRENTLY due to the fact that Piriform DOES provide this "slim" build and respects that they do. A saying like "if you cant go through them, go around them" fits perfectly here, except the "around" part would risk severe exploits, infections, and overall disrespect for the current state of said software (to include possible reverse engineering and theft of code). EDIT: since some will mistake it, BLOATWARE is normally associated with OEM systems with loads of preloaded software that the user normally doesn't WANT/NEED, saying an installer contains BLOAT means that besides the DESIRED program, some OTHER program is bundled with it and will ask you to install it as well (annoying to the VAST majority of users)

@Hazelnut

"You posted in the ccleaner forum and asked where the 'slim' version was. Now you seem to be talking about Defraggler."

your talking as if I where the OP, which I am not, I was merely pointing out the mistake in your statement and trying to give anyone else reading it understanding and backing as to WHY i say its a mistake, I am not putting words in your mouth, im saying those are the words that SHOULD be coming from your mouth (in this situation your hands typing on a keyboard), but in the interest of a compromise, instead of "month" how about "almost 1/2 to 3/4 of a month"? or, even more acceptable for your side is to just not say "a few days" (which did come from your "mouth") since it has been proven time and time again recently, that "a few days" is definitely NOT the truth

EDIT2: I have said it a few times before as well, but a neat little countdown timer would be cool/prevent these posts on the forums if it where placed on the "builds" page, but since this has been basically ignored and the difference in post dates for the slim build, that its posted more of "on a whim" and not 'on a schedule" so to speak

Hi, Tr3bg0D. :D AFAIK, the main difference is that the slim version doesn't install any extra stuff like Yahoo or Google.

If you use the full installer, you have the choice to install the toolbar or not. If you do NOT have that choice, there is an existing registry entry that skips it. I'll see if I can find the reference for that, but don't wait up. :P

Shazam, found it. This thread.

You shouldn't mess around with your registry unless you are really sure what you are doing. Forgive me if you already knew that, just saying...

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

Exactly. With all the "free" software I use I always hate having extra 3rd party stuff included however I've come to expect I'll just have to very carefully watch all of the install screens and untick any 3rd party offers I'll never want.

It's just the norm of how things have been for years now, and it can only increase as more freeware developers need money to continue offering their software for free. Lets not forget they also have to pay for websites, and any employees they have, etc., so it isn't just a thing for keeping the software free.

Folks - just be happy Piriform even offer a Slim installer!!!

Hi Kane3162.

Be nice, if you can.

The moderators here are all volunteers, pretty nice folks.

There is the option to skip installing any toolbars and such.

All the Piriform apps are free; you may donate or not as you wish.

You may use them or not, as you wish.

Hi, Tr3bg0D. :D AFAIK, the main difference is that the slim version doesn't install any extra stuff like Yahoo or Google.

If you use the full installer, you have the choice to install the toolbar or not. If you do NOT have that choice, there is an existing registry entry that skips it. I'll see if I can find the reference for that, but don't wait up. :P

Yes but my point is that the portable version does not install anything other then the program and an INI file. So why the big deal with the Slim version? If you have CCleaner installed and the Slim s not available, just overwrite the exe from the Portable version. So sorry, I don't see the big deal if no Slim version.

25qd6wl.jpg

• Moderators

So why the big deal with the Slim version? If you have CCleaner installed and the Slim s not available, just overwrite the exe from the Portable version.

That's exactly what I've did instead of waiting!

Yes but my point is that the portable version does not install anything other then the program and an INI file. So why the big deal with the Slim version? If you have CCleaner installed and the Slim s not available, just overwrite the exe from the Portable version. So sorry, I don't see the big deal if no Slim version.

Didn't even know you could do that. Just tried it, worked fine. Thanks for the heads up.

@ Winapp, I hope Bruce McDonald the OP doesn't think we (I) jumped on him...

I did sort of fire on Kane3162, cause he was rude, imo, but nothing meant for the OP.

• Moderators

Didn't even know you could do that. Just tried it, worked fine. Thanks for the heads up.

It's always been possible and is one of the solutions I'd tell people when the regular installers for some unknown reason wouldn't work on their computer. You can however delete the "portable.dat" unless you truly want to use it as an installed portable version.

• Moderators

Your point is spot on.

There is already a simple straightforward version of CCleaner available to download which IMHO makes it very unlikely that anyone would want to bother jumping through the hoops outlined in post #9 above, or even take the risk of downloading something which could contain "extras" alongside the usual contents.

The sooner Piriform provides only the "Installer" and the "Portable" versions the better. All of course JMHO.

• Moderators

If you watch the install, you get the opportunity to uncheck the "extras", and because of a timer "flag" (for want of a better description) CCleaner sets on install, you don't get offered it again for quite some time.

I can't remember the last time I was offered the extra options and check boxes, and I always just download the normal CCleaner as soon as it's avaialble, and I've never had anything installed I didn't want.

For one more time, some point the finger at the users,

who prefer the SLIM version over the other versions.

I'm Not surprised at all...

I'm grateful that CCleaner offers a SLIM version.

I have No Problem waiting for it; no Problem at all.

I have never used the full blown installer. Dos it prompt you to install the "extra goodies" or just install it?

If you follow the link in post number 10, you should be able to see a picture of what the normal installer shows UNLESS the little entry is already present in the registry.