Winapp2.ini additions

Winapp2.ini

1 hour ago, siliconman01 said:

ISSUE 1 with ccinidebug:

In running the new ccinidebug, it falsely displays that every entry in the ccleaner.ini is a stale entry and will be pruned.  If I continue to the second step to let it prune and organize ccleaner.ini, it does not actually prune these entries.

1 hour ago, siliconman01 said:

I installed the new winapp2ool.exe and performed a TRIM.  The new TRIM removed 7 cleaning modules that should not have been removed.  In examining the ones falsely trimmed (see attached file), the "Detect" checks are all located in the HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node hive area of the registry.  So it looks like the new TRIM is not testing this area or is testing it incorrectly.

TrimmedIncorrectly.txt

I have uploaded a new version that should address these issues: https://github.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2/blob/master/Tools/beta/winapp2ool.exe

TRIM worked properly except for the count discrepancy (see attached pic)

CCINIDEBUG worked properly

WINAPPDEBUG worked properly except for the count discrepancy with TRIM

DIFF worked properly.

Great progress!!! ;)

Update:  Examining CCleaner.ini file, it looks as though the count issue is in Winappdebug.exe.  This module looks like it is counting all the lines in ccleaner.ini insteard of just the (App) lines.

CountDiscrepancy.png

Edited by siliconman01
Added CCleaner.ini findings

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

Suggested wording changes for consistency

WordingChanges.png

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

20 hours ago, siliconman01 said:

Suggested wording changes for consistency

WordingChanges.png

I've uploaded a new version of winapp2ool that fixes both this and the numbering issue (which was in the trim module as a result of some refactoring)

All modules have had their behavior modified, and the menus have all been tweaked to be more consistent as well :)

When the new update, TRIM no longer works on Windows 10x64 Pro.  I get the following.

*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
*                                             Trim                                                 *
*                                                                                                  *
*                       This tool will trim winapp2.ini down to contain only                       *
*                       entries relevant to your machine, greatly reducing both                    *
*                       application load time and the winapp2.ini filesize.                        *
*                                             Menu:                                                *
*0. Exit                - Return to the winapp2ool menu                                            *
*1. Trim (default)      - Trim winapp2.ini and save the output to a new file                       *
*2. Trim (overwrite)    - Trim winapp2.ini and overwrite the existing file                         *
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
Enter a number: 2
Trimming...
Trimming complete.
Initial number Of entries: 2247
Number of entries after trimming: 233
System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
   at winapp2ool.trim.trim(String name)
Finished trimming winapp2.ini, press any key to return to the winapp2ool menu.

In TRIM, I personally feel that the (default) and (overwrite) options should be swapped/changed.

1.  Trim (default)        - Trim winapp2.ini and replace the old winapp2.ini
2.  Trim (new file)       - Trim winapp2.ini and save the output to a new file

TRIM is working now with the update that you just updated ~ 20 minutes ago. 

Thanks for the TRIM default changes.

Do LIKE the new Download file option 5.  :)

1 minute ago, siliconman01 said:

TRIM is working now with the update that you just updated ~ 20 minutes ago. 

Thanks for the TRIM default changes.

Do LIKE the new Download file option 5.  :)

A new version uploaded only just a few minutes ago is available. It now checks for updates against the GitHub version and notifies the user in the menu when an updated winapp2ool is available. Enjoy!

18 minutes ago, Winapp2.ini said:

A new version uploaded only just a few minutes ago is available. It now checks for updates against the GitHub version and notifies the user in the menu when an updated winapp2ool is available. Enjoy!

When I use Option 5 to download winapp2ool.exe, the download is corrupted.  See Pics

CorruptedDownload.png

ManualDownload.png

7 minutes ago, Winapp2.ini said:

Thanks! This has been fixed, which winapp2ool will probably inform you of, but will require a manual redownload :P

Fix confirmed !  :rolleyes:

Suggestion:  An enhancement step to the Download feature 5.

Add a step that Downloads the latest winapp2.ini and Merges it with a user's file such as "Custom.ini".  Custom.ini could/would be maintained/stored in C:\Program Files\CCleaner by the user....or if it is more convenient in coding, the user could store Custom.ini in the C:\Program Files\CCleaner\winapp2ool downloads folder.

I know, I know....always wanting more :wacko::unsure::angry:...:lol:

On 15.1.2018 at 23:24, SMalik said:

Thanks for checking the entries. But this would be very much work for ROCKNROLL. If the changes are important for you, I would recommend that you create your own pull request on GitHub. And as you mentioned already, you possibly overlooked a few good entries (like AMD/ATI or AVG). And I'm not sure if those changes won't start a debate if empty folder should be removed or not. :)

1 hour ago, APMichael said:

Thanks for checking the entries. But this would be very much work for ROCKNROLL. If the changes are important for you, I would recommend that you create your own pull request on GitHub. And as you mentioned already, you possibly overlooked a few good entries (like AMD/ATI or AVG). And I'm not sure if those changes won't start a debate if empty folder should be removed or not. :)

These changes are not only important for me, these are VERY important for anyone who uses Winapp2.ini file.

3 hours ago, SMalik said:

These changes are not only important for me, these are VERY important for anyone who uses Winapp2.ini file.

I fully understand your concerns. But to be honest, removing an empty folder usually doesn't break anything. There are no reports here that one of those (partially very old) entries causing trouble. If you create a pull request on GitHub I'm sure they will merge it.

1 hour ago, APMichael said:
5 hours ago, SMalik said:

I fully understand your concerns. But to be honest, removing an empty folder usually doesn't break anything. There are no reports here that one of those (partially very old) entries causing trouble. If you create a pull request on GitHub I'm sure they will merge it.

I thank you for your concerned about keeping users safe with Winapp2. Some of the entries you have pointed out have been in Winapp2 for a long time now, and so far no one has been reporting any issues with them. If a program is breaking due to this, I will gladly fix it for you. Ultimately, both the software and Windows are very good at restoring folders needed, since they are designed to restore the lost folder if needed, and this has been the case since XP came out.

If it makes you feel any better, during the 2nd overhaul, we did already remove dangerous REMOVESELFs from Winapp2 entries and kept the ones that don't put anyone at risk.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

12 hours ago, ROCKNROLL said:

I thank you for your concerned about keeping users safe with Winapp2. Some of the entries you have pointed out have been in Winapp2 for a long time now, and so far no one has been reporting any issues with them. If a program is breaking due to this, I will gladly fix it for you. Ultimately, both the software and Windows are very good at restoring folders needed, since they are designed to restore the lost folder if needed, and this has been the case since XP came out.

If it makes you feel any better, during the 2nd overhaul, we did already remove dangerous REMOVESELFs from Winapp2 entries and kept the ones that don't put anyone at risk.

Program folders are not junk. We cannot remove program folders on the basis that they will get re-created on demand. Removing program folders do not break programs is not an acceptable argument.

3 hours ago, SMalik said:

Program folders are not junk. We cannot remove program folders on the basis that they will get re-created on demand. Removing program folders do not break programs is not an acceptable argument.

Here is my 2 cents about this pointless discussion (just my opinion).
How long has winapp2 been out in the wild ?
How many users are using it ?

I  am no smart man but I am 100% sure a lot of people/developers using winapp2 or a spinoff of it would have complained IF an entry using REMOVESELF "break" their software.
I for one, am not fond of seeing empty folders on my systems. Using REMOVESELF makes my life a bit more ordered.

Besides, who runs CCleaner anyway with software running (Excluding AVs and active malware software) ?

Every line of code written by man can be undone by man

"A loser in the real world is still a loser in the net!" - .hack//SIGN

Getting old is inevitable,  growing up is optional !!

Question:

I found under the folder "%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\AC\Microsoft\Windows" tons of subfolders named with a random number. Each subfolder contains a single .pri file named with a random number also.

("Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy" contains those subfolders/files also.)

Does anybody know if those .pri files are necessary or what function they have?

New Entry

[Lenovo System Update *]
LangSecRef=3024
DetectFile=%CommonAppData%\Lenovo\SystemUpdate\sessionSE\Repository
Default=False
FileKey1=%CommonAppData%\Lenovo\SystemUpdate\sessionSE\Repository|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey2=%CommonAppData%\Lenovo\SystemUpdate\sessionSE\system\SSClientCommon|*.xml

6 hours ago, APMichael said:

Question:

I found under the folder "%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\AC\Microsoft\Windows" tons of subfolders named with a random number. Each subfolder contains a single .pri file named with a random number also.

("Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy" contains those subfolders/files also.)

Does anybody know if those .pri files are necessary or what function they have?

I think this link explains what the *.PRI files are:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/app-resources/resource-management-system

9 hours ago, Hav0c said:

Here is my 2 cents about this pointless discussion (just my opinion).
How long has winapp2 been out in the wild ?
How many users are using it ?

I  am no smart man but I am 100% sure a lot of people/developers using winapp2 or a spinoff of it would have complained IF an entry using REMOVESELF "break" their software.
I for one, am not fond of seeing empty folders on my systems. Using REMOVESELF makes my life a bit more ordered.

Besides, who runs CCleaner anyway with software running (Excluding AVs and active malware software) ?

Since we are getting mixed opinions on this, maybe a better solution would be to make Winapp2ool pick out all the entries with RECURSE and REMOVESELF and then have a way for the user to switch them. This way, if a user doesn't feel a entry with REMOVESELF is safe, they can use the tool and switch it to RECURSE and switch RECURSE to REMOVESELF if they don't want a pile up of empty folders.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

1 hour ago, ROCKNROLL said:

Since we are getting mixed opinions on this, maybe a better solution would be to make Winapp2ool pick out all the entries with RECURSE and REMOVESELF and then have a way for the user to switch them. This way, if a user doesn't feel a entry with REMOVESELF is safe, they can use the tool and switch it to RECURSE and switch RECURSE to REMOVESELF if they don't want a pile up of empty folders.

Do not get me wrong Winapp2ool has the potential to be a great tool.
But (like in all cases there is a but) let the developer  get a sold base line of functions out before asking a lot of functions from the get go.

Some functions within the tool as of now is "nice to have" in my opinion. Could have left it for later versions of the application.

Allso does not help the developer is rushing things and have to release a new "bug free" version every couple of hours due to something that broke while adding new function.

Baby steps.....

Every line of code written by man can be undone by man

"A loser in the real world is still a loser in the net!" - .hack//SIGN

Getting old is inevitable,  growing up is optional !!

4 hours ago, Hav0c said:

Do not get me wrong Winapp2ool has the potential to be a great tool.
But (like in all cases there is a but) let the developer  get a sold base line of functions out before asking a lot of functions from the get go.

Some functions within the tool as of now is "nice to have" in my opinion. Could have left it for later versions of the application.

Allso does not help the developer is rushing things and have to release a new "bug free" version every couple of hours due to something that broke while adding new function.

Baby steps.....

Sorry about the rushed nature of the builds ;) I had about 4 days from start-to-finish before I would (as I am currently) become busy with some school business, probably for the next week or so, so I wanted to get down what I could while the concepts were still somewhat fresh in my mind.

WRT REMOVESELF

I think this should only be used in instances like cache folders, where deleting the folders goes hand-in-hand with deleting their contents. Empty folders aren't necessarily junk or a privacy concern.