Winapp2.ini additions

Winapp2.ini

ICON CACHE IS INNOCENT - PLEASE DO NOT DESTROY IT ! ! !

I tried cleaning it with the Winapp2.ini option,

and as feared by myself, and as experienced my millions of others,

Windows DOES NOT REBUILD AS PROMISED.

The consequence of no icon cache is a 30 SECOND PENALTY EVERY TIME Windows boots up,

because now it has to jump all over the hard drive so it can find icons for the desktop short-cuts.

That 30 seconds may be very much longer and worse if you power up safely WITHOUT a flash drive inserted,

should you happen to have a short-cut which uses an icon on the flash drive.

When I check the Windows / Advanced / "Menu Order cache" option a pop-up warns

"start menu reset ... custom ordering lost"

I suggest that the Winapp2.ini extra of Applications / Windows / "Icon Cache*" most urgently needs a pop-up.

Preferably in RED with "Critical Windows Error" music at maximum volume.

ADDITIONAL

The check box MUST be auto-cancelled so it will never again repeat until the option is again MANUALLY selected for a further once-only activation.

Many CC users know enough to be cautious and keep out of trouble.

Some think the harder they clean the shinier it will be - we get a few of them asking for help ! ! !

Some will have the Winnapp2.ini file because a friend downloaded it for them and told them it will do them good.

Such people may fail to recognize that shutdown and/or start-up takes 30 seconds longer than it should because every day they have cleaned a perfect and non-bloated iconcache, and at shutdown and or startup an exact duplicate has to be recreated

(if indeed their version of Windows has that ability.)

My experiment did me no harm because experience has taught that Windows does not always work as it should,

especially if a fall-back position has not been established,

so the first thing I did before cleaning was to make a backup copy to a different partition.

It has however taken me several days to investigate and reject many "snake oil" cures that are on the Internet.

The solutions that worked for me will follow in a separate post yet to be composed.

NB After several years and the replacement/upgrade of various programs iconcache had grown to

6,425,526 bytes.

2,112,880 bytes is my new value, but there are better ways than deleting and hoping Windows will replace it.

Regards

Alan

p.s.

why the double deletion given by

FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\|IconCache.db

FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\|IconCache.db

should it be

DetectFile=%LocalAppData%\|IconCache.db

FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\|IconCache.db

HOW TO CREATE AN ICONCACHE.

Given luck and a "following wind", after iconcache is deleted then Windows will create one as good as new.

Not for me though.

Lots of solutions on the Internet, but they do not work for me.

I started in Safe mode and logged in as myself (with my normal admin privilege), logged out and rebooted.

Just to be sure I tried my luck in Safe mode and logged in as Administrator,

and as expected could not see my private profile with its Iconcache.db,

so I chose RUN AS ALAN to launch Windows Explorer, and was told that Run As was not valid in Safe Mode.

NO CURE, even though the Internet recommended this,

which is especially surprising because perhaps 3 years ago I used Safe Mode to fix something I cannot now remember,

but I do remember my surprise that after the fix I compared my system partition with an image created the previous week and saw that my iconcache had shrunk in size, so I know this used to be a cure.

(I often compare "present" with "past" to see any junk I might have forgotten to zap, or anything that Windows has chosen to damage).

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
attrib ?h IconCache.db
del IconCache.db
start explorer

That did not work either ! ! !

The middle 3 lines were redundant because Winapp2.ini had already zapped IconCache.db

And the first line failed because XP Home + SP3 has no taskkill, but I replaced that with

tskill explorer

That also failed to give me an iconcache.

Use RegSeeker 1.55 click on tweaks, click on button that says ?rebuild icon cache?

Gloom and misery - worse disaster yet.

81 icons all horribly repositioned in two groups, "All User" desktop then My profile desktop.

and each group sorted in alphabetic sequence.

Where they ought to be is one of the few things I depend upon and can still remember ! ! !

iconcache.db was NOT rebuilt by Regseeker at that time.

I did not know if it was waiting for a reboot, and I did not risk further damage.

I only unleashed a registry twiddler because ERUNT had just completed its automatic registry hive backup,

so I felt secure - and now with undue haste I restored the registry and was relieved to see all my shortcuts where they belonged. Otherwise I would have spent 10 minutes restoring last week's Partition Image.

After a reboot I observed that iconcache had been created with 2,644,008 bytes, and the shortcuts remained in the positions that had been captured by Erunt before Regseeker did its magic.

Right Click on Desktop / Properties / Settings / Colour Quality 16 Bit - then apply and OK

Right Click on Desktop / Properties / Settings / Colour Quality 32 Bit - then apply and OK

no joy.

Reboot and pray - no joy.

Getting desperate now

Right Click on Desktop / Properties / Settings / Colour Quality 16 Bit - then apply and OK

Reboot

Right Click on Desktop / Properties / Settings / Colour Quality 32 Bit - then apply and OK

Reboot

Deep joy, got iconcache, and I have never seen Windows start up that quickly.

The iconcache.db was 1,106,590 bytes created at 11/01/2011 16:18

This was also the time when the System Event Log reports that the event log was being closed at shutdown.

I shutdown at 11/01/2011 16:48 to check that my luck was holding, and when I rebooted I found

The iconcache.db was 2,112,880 bytes created at 11/01/2011 16:48

No further changes to size or time stamp. Still super fast start-up.

Much faster and better than the previous iconcache which over the years has grown to 6,425,526 bytes

I view the Regseeker creation of 2,644,008 bytes as having 30% bloat.

Just possibly that 30% bloat was caused by the ERUNT backup restoration moving 30% of the icons to previous positions and upon reboot the new iconcache remembered icons as they had been both before and after,

or some other mystery of Windows. Perhaps I should have rebooted BEFORE using ERUNT to correct the positions.

If you are interested, my suspicion is that the 1 MB cache held not the "current" 32 bit icons, but the 16 bit icons that had been collected upon the start up in 16 bit mode prior to reverting back to 32 bit mode, and the 2 MB cache is of course 32 bit icons.

Incidentally, whilst I do not admit to ever using a dustpan and brush, I have seen them in use and can recognize them, so I recognize the "brush" icon that is provided as part of the set that CCleaner provides.

I have a shortcut to CCleaner variant, and to remind me I rarely wish to use it I changed the icon to brush.

This Brush icon is the only one that benefits from 32 bits - in 16 bit mode it has streaky colours and the background boundary is a little blocky.

I can see no change in 32 bit or 16 bit mode on the 80 other icons on my desktop.

If I ever need an extra 1 MB of free space I know what to do ! ! !

Regards

Alan

• Moderators

TLDR

I have no such issue when I use clean icon cache from winapp2

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hiya, I was wondering if its possible to add a custom variable %MyDocs%="%UserProfile%\My Documents;%UserProfile%\Documents;%UserProfile%\Mis documentos;etc;etc" so it would be possible to have multilang support and the need for only one entry instead of multiple?

Like this for example (BTW .RDP cleaning is not present and would be a good addition) Remote Desktop Connection cleaning

[Remote Desktop Connection*]
LangSecRef=3025
DetectFile=%WinDir%\System32\mstsc.exe
Default=False
FileKey1=%UserProfile%\My Documents|*.rdp
FileKey2=%UserProfile%\Documents|*.rdp

.RDP file is generated when you launch Remote Desktop Connection, it saves your info

P.S. Also variables for My Pictures, My Videos and so on if its not too much

Edit: I should have maybe added this to Feature Requests...

I have fixed the following bugs in the CCEnhancer winapp2.ini file, I've not uploaded it yet to maintain consistency:

[iISExpress Logs*]
LangSecRef=3022
DetectFile1=%UserProfile%\My Documents\IISE[b]x[/b]press
DetectFile2=%UserProfile%\Documents\IISE[b]x[/b]press
Default=False
FileKey1=%UserProfile%\My Documents\IISExpress\Logs|*.*
FileKey2=%UserProfile%\My Documents\IISExpress\TraceLogFiles|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey3=%UserProfile%\Documents\IISExpress\Logs|*.*
FileKey4=%UserProfile%\Documents\IISExpress\TraceLogFiles|*.*|RECURSE

*The detectfile lines were missing the "x"

[icon Cache*]
LangSecRef=3025
Default=False
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%|IconCache.db
FileKey2=%LocalAppData%|IconCache.db

*This might have been fixed, a user reported a duplicate.

RegKey1=Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 10\movies
RegKey1=Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 8\movies
RegKey1=Software\Macromedia\Shockwave 9\movies

*Doesn't actually point anywhere in the registry (hive missing)

RegKey1=[s]HCKU[/s]\Software\Infospace\DogpileToolbar\History|1-terms

*Should be HKCU. Typo in hive.

Thanks to Andrew Z for pointing these out.

I'm Shane.

Hiya, I was wondering if its possible to add a custom variable %MyDocs%="%UserProfile%\My Documents;%UserProfile%\Documents;%UserProfile%\Mis documentos;etc;etc" so it would be possible to have multilang support and the need for only one entry instead of multiple?

Like this for example (BTW .RDP cleaning is not present and would be a good addition) Remote Desktop Connection cleaning

[Remote Desktop Connection*]
LangSecRef=3025
DetectFile=%WinDir%\System32\mstsc.exe
Default=False
FileKey1=%UserProfile%\My Documents|*.rdp
FileKey2=%UserProfile%\Documents|*.rdp

.RDP file is generated when you launch Remote Desktop Connection, it saves your info

P.S. Also variables for My Pictures, My Videos and so on if its not too much

Edit: I should have maybe added this to Feature Requests...

I requested the same thing a while back, maybe one day :P

Also: Updated! :

http://ompldr.org/vNnp0dA

TLDR

I have no such issue when I use clean icon cache from winapp2

I hear you.

It is too long and I wish I had not needed the experience.

I think my post timed at 10:04 PM might be essential for any Winapp2.ini user who hits the same problem,

especially if unlike myself they did not anticipate the problem and make a backup copy.

I would be happy to see that post moved as a separate topic, perhaps in a different Piriform forum, with a link from this topic for the benefit of future victims of sundry bugs that affect the ability of the O.S. to generate iconcache.db.

Regards

Alan

Having CCleaner delete the Icon Cache will result in subtle problems with some programs. This is on Windows 7 x64 Professional and Windows 7 x86 Professional.

For example, jv16 PowerTools has a debug option that stores a debug HTML on the desktop each time the jv16 program is executed IF the debug option is set active. If CCleaner has deleted IconCache.db, the icon for the jv16 debug HTML will not show up. A user has to right click on the desktop and select Refresh. Then the debug icon will appear. A system reboot will also expose the debug HTML icon. However, running CCleaner again with the icon cache cleaning set active will result in the same failure.

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

• Moderators

WebAtom Thank you, that's a huge help. :)

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

Why did you change my Internet Download Accelerator to clean ALL the temp dir?

I get this error if I clean the temp dir with ida open and then use FlashGot All (download all files on page)

skinerr.png

Restarting ida so new temp files are created solves the problem

[internet Download Accelerator Temp Files*]
LangSecRef=3022
Detect=HKCU\Software\2VG\Internet Download Accelerator
Default=False
FileKey1=%AppData%\Internet Download Accelerator\temp|*.*|RECURSE
ExcludeKey1=FILE|%Appdata%\Internet Download Accelerator\temp|skin_dll.cfg

@ricktendo64 Please try this entry and see if it fixes the issue.

For those using LightScribe CD/DVDs.

[LightScribe (Logs)*]
LangSecRef=3023
Detect=HKCU\Software\LightScribe
Default=False
FileKey1=%CommonAppData%\LightScribe\log\|*.xml

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

[internet Download Accelerator Temp Files*]
LangSecRef=3022
Default=False
FileKey1=%AppData%\Internet Download Accelerator\temp|*.*|RECURSE
ExcludeKey1=FILE|%Appdata%\Internet Download Accelerator\temp|skin_dll.cfg

@ricktendo64 Please try this entry and see if it fixes the issue.

There is no need to delete the entire temp folder contents, the name is deceiving there are many files that are critical not just skin_dll.cfg have a look

idatemp.th.png

My code I submitted only deletes MRU crap and I dont think it really needs to be split into 3 categories because its all MRU stuff...this is all that needs to be cleaned:

[internet Download Accelerator*]
LangSecRef=3022
Default=True
FileKey1=%AppData%\Internet Download Accelerator|history.xml
FileKey2=%AppData%\Internet Download Accelerator|nodelist.xmlc
FileKey3=%AppData%\Internet Download Accelerator\temp|*.hnt
FileKey4=%AppData%\Internet Download Accelerator\temp|lastnews.*
FileKey5=%AppData%\Internet Download Accelerator\temp|playflv.html

Here is the lowdown

history.xml deletes history list

nodelist.xmlc is a backup copy of nodelist.xml (notice no letter "C" on end)

*.hnt these store recently used URL's and save paths

lastnews.* deletes lastnews.txt and lastnews.xml

playflv.html is created when you download and preview a flv file from the web

There is a typo in the [Nitro PDF Reader*] entry.

Under the line, "Detect=HKCU\Software\NitroPDF\Reader\1.0" you're missing a space between Nitro and PDF. Without it, the entry doesn't show up in CCleaner even if a user has Nitro Reader.

Fixed:

Detect=HKCU\Software\Nitro PDF\Reader\1.0

The following code does not work with PDF ExchangeViewer (latest free version 2.5 (Build 191.0) on Windows 7. Not all requested registry keys are removed.

[PDF-XChange Viewer*]
LangSecRef=3021
Detect=HKCU\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer
Default=False
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer\Documents\LastOpened
RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer\Documents\LatestView\Bars
RegKey3=HKCU\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer\Documents\LatestView\Panes

Below is what I "think" it should be. Would someone please confirm.

[PDF-XChange Viewer*]
LangSecRef=3021
Detect=HKCU\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer
Default=False
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer.IBrowser\Documents\LastOpened
RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer.IBrowser\Documents\LastView\Bars
RegKey3=HKCU\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer.IBrowser\Documents\LastView\Panes
RegKey4=HKCU\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer\Documents\LastOpened
RegKey5=HKCU\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer\Documents\LastView\Bars
RegKey6=HKCU\Software\Tracker Software\PDFViewer\Documents\LastView\Panes

This is an IM/chat program, and there's probably more that could be added to it, but so far I'm sure of these, a bunch of trash temp files it always leaves in the Windows directory after it's run...

[Gadu-Gadu*]

LangSecRef=3022

Detect=HKCU\Software\Gadu-Gadu\

Default=False

FileKey1=%WinDir%\|TEMP*.htm*

re: [More Windows Live Messenger]

What do the lines in winapp2.ini do if you select this? e.g. what is kept in:

C:\Documents and Settings\Charles\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\{981d6c3b-6fa6-4082-b1a9-b666ccbe1482}\DBStore\LogFiles\

re: [jv16 2009/2010/2011**] earlier in this thread.

this entry only works if the last DetectFile returns true. So for users of just 2009 or 2010 it doesn't show. Does DetectFile support a number before the "=" sign? or it needs to be split into three entries.

re: [More Windows Live Messenger]

What do the lines in winapp2.ini do if you select this? e.g. what is kept in:

C:\Documents and Settings\Charles\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\{981d6c3b-6fa6-4082-b1a9-b666ccbe1482}\DBStore\LogFiles\

re: [jv16 2009/2010/2011**] earlier in this thread.

this entry only works if the last DetectFile returns true. So for users of just 2009 or 2010 it doesn't show. Does DetectFile support a number before the "=" sign? or it needs to be split into three entries.

Mistake on my part. I thought it would work as an "either/or", but it does not. It has to split into three different entries. Below is what works for jv16 PT 2011 Beta. I suspect that WinApp2 will include this in Winapp2.ini once jv16 PT 2011 comes out of beta/rc. ;)

[jv16 PowerTools 2011**]
LangSecRef=3024
DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\jv16 PowerTools 2011\jv16PT.exe
Default=False
FileKey1=%userprofile%\|NTUSER.DAT.jv16pt_bak
FileKey2=%userprofile%\|NTUSER.DAT.jv16pt_bak2
FileKey3=%userprofile%\|NTUSER.DAT.jv16pt_bak.LOG1
FileKey4=%userprofile%\|NTUSER.DAT.jv16pt_bak.LOG2
FileKey5=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\|UsrClass.dat.jv16pt_bak
FileKey6=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\|UsrClass.dat.jv16pt_bak2
FileKey7=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\|UsrClass.dat.jv16pt_bak.LOG1
FileKey8=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\|UsrClass.dat.jv16pt_bak.LOG2
FileKey9=%windir%\system32\config\|Default.jv16pt_bak
FileKey10=%windir%\system32\config\|Default.jv16pt_bak2
FileKey11=%windir%\system32\config\|Default.jv16pt_bak.LOG1
FileKey12=%windir%\system32\config\|Default.jv16pt_bak.LOG2
FileKey13=%windir%\system32\config\|software.jv16pt_bak.LOG1
FileKey14=%windir%\system32\config\|software.jv16pt_bak.LOG2
FileKey15=%windir%\system32\config\|software.jv16pt_bak
FileKey16=%windir%\system32\config\|software.jv16pt_bak2
FileKey17=%windir%\system32\config\|system.jv16pt_bak
FileKey18=%windir%\system32\config\|system.jv16pt_bak2
FileKey19=%windir%\system32\config\|system.jv16pt_bak.LOG1     
FileKey20=%windir%\system32\config\|system.jv16pt_bak.LOG2
FileKey21=%windir%\System32\config\|SAM.jv16pt_bak
FileKey22=%windir%\System32\config\|SAM.jv16pt_bak2
FileKey23=%windir%\System32\config\|SAM.jv16pt_bak.LOG1
FileKey24=%windir%\System32\config\|SAM.jv16pt_bak.LOG2
FileKey25=%windir%\System32\config\|COMPONENTS.jv16pt_bak
FileKey26=%windir%\System32\config\|COMPONENTS.jv16pt_bak2
FileKey27=%windir%\System32\config\|COMPONENTS.jv16pt_bak.LOG1
FileKey28=%windir%\System32\config\|COMPONENTS.jv16pt_bak.LOG2
FileKey29=%windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\|NTUSER.DAT.jv16pt_bak
FileKey30=%windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\|NTUSER.DAT.jv16pt_bak2
FileKey31=%windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\|NTUSER.DAT.jv16pt_bak.LOG1
FileKey32=%windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\|NTUSER.DAT.jv16pt_bak.LOG2
FileKey33=%windir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\|NTUSER.DAT.jv16pt_bak
FileKey34=%windir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\|NTUSER.DAT.jv16pt_bak2
FileKey35=%windir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\|NTUSER.DAT.jv16pt_bak.LOG1
FileKey36=%windir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\|NTUSER.DAT.jv16pt_bak.LOG2

This has been brought up on the CCleaner forums before, but does anyone on the CCEnhancer thread know how we can do something about Google Chrome's ridiculous update functionality that leaves behind old unused versions after update(especially painful on Dev)?

TE6JG.jpg

The changing folder names (named as version numbers) seem to be a stumbling block to a simple custom folder addition.

pepe2; I don't think this is possible with CCleaner, however it might be possible to write a vbscript to do this.

Basically; it would involve:

1: Find all the installed versions of the app.

2: Strip all the period's from the version number on the directory name.

3: Compare all the version numbers, then delete all but the highest.

Before I code this up, someone had better read over above steps to make sure I've not missed any obvious faults. I am quite tired hahaha

I'm Shane.

pepe2; I don't think this is possible with CCleaner, however it might be possible to write a vbscript to do this.

Basically; it would involve:

1: Find all the installed versions of the app.

2: Strip all the period's from the version number on the directory name.

3: Compare all the version numbers, then delete all but the highest.

Before I code this up, someone had better read over above steps to make sure I've not missed any obvious faults. I am quite tired hahaha

I would suggest a simple batch script that detects the most recent folder and trashes all the other folders.

Whatever is done, it might be wise to make it stand-alone.

No sense wasting time trying to RE-delete all the ancient versions every time CCleaner is run.

Alan