Winapp2.ini additions

Winapp2.ini

It might be appropriate to start a different pinned thread on the forum for Winapp3.ini so that users now and in the future do not get confused between what's what and mistakenly grab Winapp3.ini and run it.  If you do start a new thread, perhaps you could/would move all previous posts concerning Winapp3.ini from the Winapp2.ini thread to the Winapp3.ini thread.  And all the necessary warnings about Winapp3.ini should be part of the first post in the new thread.  JMO :)

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

• Moderators

Re new thread and moving posts:

That seems to entail an extreme amount of work for moderators.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

On 4/24/2018 at 02:42, siliconman01 said:

It might be appropriate to start a different pinned thread on the forum for Winapp3.ini so that users now and in the future do not get confused between what's what and mistakenly grab Winapp3.ini and run it.  If you do start a new thread, perhaps you could/would move all previous posts concerning Winapp3.ini from the Winapp2.ini thread to the Winapp3.ini thread.  And all the necessary warnings about Winapp3.ini should be part of the first post in the new thread.  JMO :)

Actually, I would much rather starting moving things over to GitHub. Once Winap2ool comes out of beta, I will be working on making a better readme and documentation over at GitHub. Eventually, we will probably end up closing the Winapp2 website as it doesn't have much purpose anymore, but this hasn't been discussed, yet.

I don't mind keeping this thread open. Perhaps a bit of cleaning of this thread would coming in handy (we are almost at 300 posts). Maybe people will be nice enough to specify if there contributions belong to Winapp2 or Winapp3 for the future.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

19 hours ago, ROCKNROLL said:

Actually, I would much rather starting moving things over to GitHub. Once Winap2ool comes out of beta, I will be working on making a better readme and documentation over at GitHub. Eventually, we will probably end up closing the Winapp2 website as it doesn't have much purpose anymore, but this hasn't been discussed, yet.

I don't mind keeping this thread open. Perhaps a bit of cleaning of this thread would coming in handy (we are almost at 300 posts). Maybe people will be nice enough to specify if there contributions belong to Winapp2 or Winapp3 for the future.

300 posts? There's over 7000! :lol: (but I suppose you probably meant pages)

I don't think the thread needs cleaning. That's a lot of work for moderators and now that winapp2 itself is on GitHub it's a lot easier to track which changes actually make it into the file (when I was maintaining it alone and by hand, any changes I missed would be lost to the ages unless someone specifically audited for those changes and pointed out that I'd missed them).

Overall I think that it'd be fitting for winapp3 contributions to be kept exclusively on GitHub. This is the winapp2 thread, and I think it'd be less confusing for everyone if it stayed that way.

8 hours ago, Winapp2.ini said:

300 posts? There's over 7000! :lol: (but I suppose you probably meant pages)

I don't think the thread needs cleaning. That's a lot of work for moderators and now that winapp2 itself is on GitHub it's a lot easier to track which changes actually make it into the file (when I was maintaining it alone and by hand, any changes I missed would be lost to the ages unless someone specifically audited for those changes and pointed out that I'd missed them).

Overall I think that it'd be fitting for winapp3 contributions to be kept exclusively on GitHub. This is the winapp2 thread, and I think it'd be less confusing for everyone if it stayed that way.

Agreed (and yes I meant pages, haha).

On a different note, I am pleased to announce the first official stable release of Winapp3 (though it can still nuke your system due to the number of aggressive entries). The changes include some new entries and some minor cleanup and improvements. See the full list of changes here: https://github.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2/commit/9e966b3afa74eee160a421d4557cbf182e337306

Also, I am looking for someone who would be willing to spend a little time looking over the "Windows 10 Useless Files" entry and the " Useless File Extension". The "Windows 10 Useless Files" entry should probably be renamed to something else, but I do not know what those files are (look like some video files) or what they are for as they don't seem to exist on my system. As for the "Useless File Extension" entry, I have given it the best I can, but it is quite a big task. I do not have enough time on my hand to do extensive testing and improvements for it, so if anyone has some time to spare, I would appreciate it if they could go over this entry. If not, it will likely stay as it is for the time being.

Over the next week (actually Wednesdays are really my only free time now), I will be working on improving our documentation. It should be much more thorough compared to what is posted on the first page. I also need to update the headers on both Winapp2 files. Looks like I got a full week ahead of me, huh.

In Winapp3.ini, why is [QuickLaunch *] considered dangerous?  This feature was removed in starting with Windows 7.  There is a procedure that permits users to add the Quick Launch bar back in, but I suggest that 99.9% of Windows users do not add it back in. 

I recommend the name should be [Quick Launch *] because Windows does not refer to it as Quicklaunch, but Quick Launch.  I suggest that the code below be added to Winapp2.ini.  I am assuming that DetectOS=6.1| means "Show if Windows version is Windows 7 or later".  

[Quick Launch *]
DetectOS=6.1|
Section=3024
Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
Default=False
Warning=Do not activate if you have manually re-implemented the Quick Launch bar in Windows 7/8/or 10
FileKey1=%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch|*.lnk

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

If this entry is not considered dangerous in Winapp3.ini, why not add it to Winapp2.ini ?

[Windows Tracing *]
LangSecRef=3025
Detect=HKLM\Software\Microsoft
Default=False
FileKey1=%WinDir%\tracing|*.log;*.old|RECURSE

On 27.4.2018 at 09:13, siliconman01 said:

In Winapp3.ini, why is [QuickLaunch *] considered dangerous?  This feature was removed in starting with Windows 7.  There is a procedure that permits users to add the Quick Launch bar back in, but I suggest that 99.9% of Windows users do not add it back in...

The entry was removed by request: https://forum.piriform.com/topic/32310-winapp2ini-additions/?page=234&tab=comments#comment-277438.
I was not happy about that also: https://forum.piriform.com/topic/32310-winapp2ini-additions/?page=234&tab=comments#comment-277444.

On 27.4.2018 at 09:27, siliconman01 said:

If this entry is not considered dangerous in Winapp3.ini, why not add it to Winapp2.ini ? [Windows Tracing *]...

That's just a mistake; all entries should have Section=Dangerous. I can't find any information why this entry was removed from Winapp2.ini.
(It seems that the folder isn't used by Windows anymore. On my systems the folder is empty always.)

On 27.4.2018 at 07:06, ROCKNROLL said:

...Also, I am looking for someone who would be willing to spend a little time looking over the "Windows 10 Useless Files" entry and the "Useless File Extension"...

Winapp3.ini:

IMHO the entry [Useless File Extension *] should be used with "Analyze" only. It would be hard work to make this entry safe.

The entry [Windows 10 Useless Files *] seems to be wrong: The path "%ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps\Microsoft.CloudExperienceHost_*\" doesn't exist; it should be "%WinDir%\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost_*\". But the sub-folder "media" doesn't contain *.mp4 files. We can correct the path and rename the entry to "Windows Apps Media Files". (Or because the files don't exist on your system also; maybe we can remove the entry then?)

Modified entry:  [Acrok Video Converter Ultimate *]

Added FileKey3

[Acrok Video Converter Ultimate *]
LangSecRef=3023
Detect=HKCU\Software\Acrok Software\Acrok Video Converter Ultimate
Default=False
FileKey1=%AppData%\Acrok\Acrok Video Converter Ultimate|*.dmp
FileKey2=%AppData%\Acrok\Acrok Video Converter Ultimate\log|*.*
FileKey3=%AppData%\Auxre\Blu-ray Plugin|*.log
FileKey4=%UserProfile%\.BDAccess|*.*|RECURSE

Safari for Windows is supported natively in ccleaner however there isn't a Winapp2.ini entry for additional files to be removed so I'm suggesting adding:

[Safari *]
LangSecRef=3028
Default=False
DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\Safari\Safari.exe
FileKey1=%AppData%\Apple Computer\Logs|*.*
FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\Apple Computer\com.apple.Safari.PrivateBrowsing|Cache.db
FileKey3=%LocalAppData%\Apple Computer\Safari|WebpageIcons.db

FileKey2 only appears after using the private browsing function so removing it seems prudent.  FileKey3 is regenerated after restarting Safari but other popular cleaners do remove this file although ccleaner doesn't.

Been quiet on this thread this past week.

Anyways, I am pleased to announce our new readme is now published on GitHub. The new readme contains more information on how to create your own entries, all the variables we use, all the code we use, etc.

Please check out the new readme here: https://github.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2/blob/master/README.md

Also, all the headers of each file has been updated to better reflect the new licensing system and our new readme file.

Modified entry:  [Internet Explorer *]

Added: ExcludeKey1=FILE|%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\|container.dat to prevent problems with audio players gadgets such as KRIS Media Player Pro which use the IE built-in wmaplayer2 from losing the song cover picture to display.

[Internet Explorer *]
LangSecRef=3022
Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
Default=False
FileKey1=%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\UserData|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\AppCache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey3=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\IECompatCache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey4=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\IECompatUaCache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey5=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey6=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey7=%LocalAppData%\Packages\windows_ie_ac_*\AC\AppCache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey8=%LocalAppData%\Packages\windows_ie_ac_*\AC\INet*|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey9=%LocalAppData%\Packages\windows_ie_ac_*\AC\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0\UsageLogs|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey10=%LocalAppData%\Packages\windows_ie_ac_*\AC\Microsoft\CryptnetUrlCache\*|*.*
FileKey11=%LocalAppData%\Packages\windows_ie_ac_*\AC\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStore|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey12=%LocalAppData%\Packages\windows_ie_ac_*\AC\PRICache|*.*
FileKey13=%LocalAppData%\Packages\windows_ie_ac_*\AC\Temp|*.*
FileKey14=%LocalAppData%\Packages\windows_ie_ac_*\LocalState\Cache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey15=%LocalAppData%\Packages\windows_ie_ac_*\LocalState\navigationHistory|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey16=%LocalAppData%\Packages\windows_ie_ac_*\TempState|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey17=%WinDir%\System32\config\Systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache|*.*|RECURSE
RegKey1=HKCR\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\windows_ie_ac_001\Internet Explorer\DOMStorage
RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore
RegKey3=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\DOMStorage
RegKey4=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl
RegKey5=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery\PendingDelete
RegKey6=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats
ExcludeKey1=FILE|%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\|container.dat
ExcludeKey2=FILE|%LocalAppData%\Packages\windows_ie_ac_*\AC\INetCache\|container.dat

KrisPlayerGadget.png

Edited by siliconman01
added pic

After updating to Google Earth Pro 7.3.1 x64, I noticed that its cache has moved to a Cache subfolder so the existing Google Earth entries in Winapp.ini and Winapp2.ini weren't cleaning it anymore.  

[Google Earth *]
LangSecRef=3021
Detect1=HKCU\Software\Google\Google Earth Plus
Detect2=HKCU\Software\Google\Google Earth Pro
Detect3=HKLM\Software\Google\Google Earth Plus
Detect4=HKLM\Software\Google\Google Earth Pro
Default=False
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\VirtualStore\Program Files*\Google\GoogleEarth\client|*.log
FileKey2=%LocalLowAppData%\Google\GoogleEarth|*.tmp;*.log|RECURSE
FileKey3=%LocalLowAppData%\Google\GoogleEarth\Cache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey4=%LocalLowAppData%\Google\GoogleEarth\unified_cache_leveldb_*|*.*|REMOVESELF
FileKey5=%ProgramFiles%\Google\GoogleEarth\client|*.log

I'm suggesting to add FileKey3 to [Google Earth *] to clean this.

On 5/20/2018 at 08:28, APMichael said:

For some reason, the TRIM function of winapp2ool.exe (V0.8.0.0) does not recognize the DetectFile shown below for Chrome and it trims these all out.

DetectFile2=%LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome*

If I change this to DetectFile2=%LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome, then they are not TRIMMED out.  

I wonder if CCleaner is recognizing %LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome*  where it is used in FileKey and ExcludeKey. ??? 

10 hours ago, siliconman01 said:

For some reason, the TRIM function of winapp2ool.exe (V0.8.0.0) does not recognize the DetectFile shown below for Chrome and it trims these all out.

I can confirm this behavior. It seems that the TRIM function has a little bug. I think Winapp2.ini will fix this soon.

10 hours ago, siliconman01 said:

I wonder if CCleaner is recognizing %LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome*  where it is used in FileKey and ExcludeKey. ??? 

No need to worry. Wildcards are working flawless with CCleaner.

DetectFile_Chrome_Wildcard.jpg

12 hours ago, siliconman01 said:

If I change this to DetectFile2=%LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome, then they are not TRIMMED out.  

This is a bug (oversight regarding expanding wildcards) in Trim and will be fixed in an upcoming major update to the tool :) Thanks for pointing this out