Winapp2.ini additions

Winapp2.ini

You probably also permit Microsoft updates which strike without notice,

and some browsers are on rabid release cycles.

Have you tried removing Winapp to confirm it is implicated ?

What search engine on what browser ?

No, I don't ever let Windows update anything on it's own. I let it check for them and then I go through them and choose accordingly. Have removed winapp2.ini and the issue went away. Ixquick search engine/IE 9 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Also, I didn't tick any new additions after applying the latest winapp2.ini file. I just left them as they were prior to installation of the most recent file.

In the mean time, I'm going to pull the winapp2.ini file off of my sons computer and install it on this one that had the issue prior to removing the updated one and verify that it doesn't have the issue. I haven't updated his, I don't think. I hope not, at least.

Edit: I pulled the winapp2.ini file from junior's computer and installed it on this one that had the problem with removing search engine settings and the problem doesn't exist now that i have the previous winapp2.ini file installed. Also, I had done the fresh batch of Windows updates (manually) prior to updating the computer with the most recent winapp2.ini file that has the issue. Now that I have the previous release of winapp2.ini reinstalled, I can verify that Windows update that had been done prior to installation of the new release of winapp2.ini had nothing at all to do with the issue. But I knew that anyhow.

I can probably go through the updated winapp2.ini file that causes it and look for the problem myself, I guess. I just thought I'd ask here first. I really hate going through that thing. It takes forever going behind and fixing mistakes.

http://winapp2.com/W...w.html#Modified

Localservice Cookies jumps out to me, as it is "bugged" in that it removes all cookies regardless of your saves.

Perhaps it's that?

I assume that you are referring to the note.

"- Added FileKeys5 and 6"

Should I assume that FileKeys 1 to 3 also remove cookies regardless of Saves ?

Pedantic quibble :- What happened to FileKey4 :huh:

SAFETY SUGGESTION :-

Desist from using the same header when there is extra cleaning due to an Added DELETE or an Added DETECT.

Assuming that this problem is due to the header

[LocalService Cookies*]

then this rule is NOT in effect by default,

and I guess that 2nd Base has checked the box in the past and for that reason CCleaner has remembered the user preference and automatically enabled "disaster".

The previous preference should have been avoided and 2nd Base would have needed to again check the box if the "extra strength" rule been given a modified header such as

[LocalService Cookies 2*]

N.B.

I see no need for a different header if a modification reduces the strength of cleaning.

N.B. - I counted 17 of these "dangerous" rules in your Modified List - and ran out of fingers :rolleyes:

NEW ENTRY

[Common Language Runtime Logs*]

LangSecRef=3025

Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows

Default=False

FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\CLR_v2.0\*|*.log

FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0\*|*.log

FileKey3=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0_32\*|*.log

Modified NEW ENTRY:

LangSecRef=3025

Default=False

FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\CLR_v2.0_32\*|*.log

FileKey3=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0\*|*.log

FileKey4=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0_32\*|*.log

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

Modified NEW ENTRY:

LangSecRef=3025

Default=False

FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\CLR_v2.0_32\*|*.log

FileKey3=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0\*|*.log

FileKey4=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0_32\*|*.log

Couldn't it be this?

LangSecRef=3025
Default=False
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\CLR_v*.*|*.*|RECURSE

The "Chrome Installer*" entry interferes with the program's capability to automatically update, then that entry isn't removing a junk file, even if it is 100+ megabytes.

It seems to break the program's capability of making a major version update, but not a minor version update.

"Dell Installtion Files*" entry needs spell checking.

Keep up the excellent work.

• Moderators

I assume that you are referring to the note.

"- Added FileKeys5 and 6"

he's referring to this

I am the guilty party who requested FileKey5 and FileKey6 be added in this code....and it was an mistake to make this request. I recommend that these two keys be removed from [LocalService Cookies*]. CCleaner is not coded yet to properly handle IE 10's cookies on Windows 7 and this was an effort to clean out cookies of IE 10. Sorry about that. :wacko:

Should I assume that FileKeys 1 to 3 also remove cookies regardless of Saves ?

huh? yes this assumption is correct local service items are not listed nor covered by the cookies to keep setting

N.B. - I counted 17 of these "dangerous" rules in your Modified List - and ran out of fingers :rolleyes:

what happened to your other 3 fingers ?...??

Edited by Nergal

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Modified Entry:

[TuneUp Utilities Reg Defrag Cleanup*]

LangSecRef=3024

Detect1=HKCU\Software\TuneUp\Utilities\10.0

Detect2=HKCU\Software\TuneUp\Utilities\12.0

Detect3=HKCU\Software\TuneUp\Utilities\13.0

Default=False

FileKey1=%UserProfile%|NTUSER.DAT_tureg_new.LOG*;NTUSER.DAT_tureg_old

FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows|USRCLASS.DAT_tureg_new.LOG*;USRCLASS.DAT_tureg_old

FileKey3=%WinDir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService|NTUSER.DAT_tureg_new.LOG*;NTUSER.DAT_tureg_old

FileKey4=%WinDir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService|NTUSER.DAT_tureg_new.LOG*;NTUSER.DAT_tureg_old

FileKey5=%WinDir%\System32\config|COMPONENTS_tureg_new.LOG*;COMPONENTS_tureg_old;DEFAULT_tureg_new.LOG*;DEFAULT_tureg_old;SAM_tureg_new.LOG*;SAM_tureg_old;SECURITY_tureg_new.LOG*;SECURITY_tureg_old;SOFTWARE_tureg_new.LOG*;SOFTWARE_tureg_old;SYSTEM_tureg_new.LOG*;SYSTEM_tureg_old;DRIVERS_tureg_new.LOG*;DRIVERS_tureg_old

FileKey6=%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\LocalService|NTUSER.DAT_tureg_new.LOG*;NTUSER.DAT_tureg_old

FileKey7=%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\LocalService.NT*|NTUSER.DAT_tureg_new.LOG*;NTUSER.DAT_tureg_old

FileKey8=%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\NetworkService|NTUSER.DAT_tureg_new.LOG*;NTUSER.DAT_tureg_old

FileKey9=%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\NetworkService.NT*|NTUSER.DAT_tureg_new.LOG*;NTUSER.DAT_tureg_old

FileKey10=%SystemDrive%\Boot|BCD_tureg_new.LOG*;BCD_tureg_old

Changed FileKey5 to include DRIVERS for Windows 8 x64 Professional (and I suspect for Windows 8 x86 and all versions of Windows 8)

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

MODIFIED ENTRIES

Added the highlighted lines.

http://forum.pirifor...640#entry227851

[Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 6*]

LangSecRef=3023

Detect=HKCU\Software\Xara\Xtreme_SE

Default=False

RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Xara\Xtreme_SE\6.1\Options\Recent File List

RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Xara\Xtreme_SE\6.1\Workspace

FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Xara\Xtreme_SE\6.1\Backups|*.txt

[MS Direct 3D MRU*]

LangSecRef=3025

Detect=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\DirectDraw

Default=False

RegKey1=HKCR\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication

RegKey2=HKCR\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication

RegKey3=HKCU\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication

RegKey4=HKCU\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication

RegKey5=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\MostRecentApplication

RegKey6=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication

RegKey7=HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Direct3D\MostRecentApplication

RegKey8=HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication

[Windows Error Reporting More*]

LangSecRef=3025

Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting

Default=False

RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Debug|StoreLocation

RegKey2=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Debug|StoreLocation

RegKey3=HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\Debug|StoreLocation

FileKey1=%WinDir%\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\CrashDumps|*.dmp

FileKey2=%WinDir%\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\CrashDumps|*.dmp

How about seperate entries for Direct3D and DirectDraw?

Corrected the entry name and the Detect path.

[MS Direct3D MRU*]

LangSecRef=3025

Default=False

RegKey1=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\MostRecentApplication

RegKey2=HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Direct3D\MostRecentApplication

-----------------------------

Corrected the Detect path.

[MS DirectDraw MRU*]

LangSecRef=3025

Default=False

RegKey1=HKCR\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication

RegKey2=HKCR\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication

RegKey3=HKCU\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication

RegKey4=HKCU\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication

RegKey5=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication

RegKey6=HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication

MODIFIED ENTRY

[Windows Session Manager*]

LangSecRef=3025

Detect=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows

Default=False

RegKey1=HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager|PendingFileRenameOperations

RegKey2=HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\AppCompatCache|AppCompatCache

FileKey1=%WinDir%\AppCompat\Programs|*.xml

FileKey2=%WinDir%\AppCompat\Programs\Install|*.xml

• Moderators

Did something get rescribbled with this winapp file that would wipe out my search engine settings every time i run CCleaner? The winapp update is the only thing that I've done to the computer since it started happening this morning. It's annoying as all heck having to reapply my search engine settings every time i run CCleaner with this winapp file now.

I have found the Location of search engines (in IE10 Win8)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes

There are known know entries in Winapp2.ini (or CCleaner's built in cleaning rules) which touch this key, are you sure you are not removing it using the registry integrity section or your Includes?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

NEW ENTRY

[Cached File Extensions*]

LangSecRef=3025

Default=False

RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

Does Windows automagically re-create the needed FileExts in there if they're actually needed?

I have found the Location of search engines (in IE10 Win8)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes

There are known know entries in Winapp2.ini (or CCleaner's built in cleaning rules) which touch this key, are you sure you are not removing it using the registry integrity section or your Includes?

No, i don't use includes. Haven't seen these entries in the registry cleaner either. Whenever i do run the registry tool, I usually have the same entries to deal with from a couple of small programs. They rebuild as well which is why i clean tham. But, no. Neither of those.

I haven't really spent any time with this since posting the issue. I just replaced the winapp2.ini file with the previous release and left it. I may reformat the pc a couple of times over the coming weekend and test out some theories I've read here. Depends on how nice it is outside.

I'm not really too concerned about it though. As I said, I'm content with the previous version for now.

Modified Entry: Moved to Utilities

[Norton Installer Logs*]

LangSecRef=3024

DetectFile=%CommonAppData%\NortonInstaller\Logs

Default=False

FileKey1=%CommonAppData%\NortonInstaller\Logs|*.*|RECURSE

• Moderators

[Cached File Extensions*]

LangSecRef=3025

Default=False

RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

It's working good on this old XP computer. Thanks for sharing it!!!

New Entry:

[Norton Internet Security 2012/13 (*.dmp)*]

LangSecRef=3024

DetectFile=%CommonAppData%\Norton\LocalDumps

Default=False

Warning=This removes the error/crash dumps (*.dmp) associated with Norton Internet Security crashes.

FileKey1=%CommonAppData%\Norton\LocalDumps|*.dmp