SliTaz on LiveCD or USB (solved)

DennisD

• Moderators

Do I need to expand on that?

:)

On yes you do :)

Also for those who may wonder what SliTaz is, it's a very, very small download (just over 30MB) which when you burn it to a cd or put it on a USB stick will give you a bootable Linux operating system.

You can use this to surf, do banking, and just generally enjoy the experience of realizing that you are using Linux without having to install it.

The LiveCD version can be gotten from here

http://www.slitaz.org/en/get/

choose the stable version, and give it a try..Anyone has any questions about it I'm sure Dennis or Login123 will be only too pleased to help out.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Sure hope you expand & expound. :-)

I'm off to the store to get a usb stick, formatted one to oblivion last week.

Running Slitaz 3.0 from an 8 cm shirt pocket dvd right now.

As I recall, it runs in ram, hard drive not used or needed.

Edit: boots from cd/dvd much faster than Puppy.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I'll explain shortly, which of course I intended to, and I've also managed to make the stable Version3 "persistent" as well.

It was supposed to work only with the "cooking" version according to a lot of forum posts and websites ...

Essentials to create a USB SliTaz:

Windows Computer to perform the install

32 MB or larger USB Key

tazusb.exe

SliTaz Cooking ISO

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install-slitaz-to-usb-from-windows/

... anyways, I've gone through so many permutations of installs and formatting that I'm struggling to remember exactly the process's which worked, so I'll take my time sorting through this stuff and lay it out as soon as.

• Moderators

Since the above post, I've been trying out what worked with the different file systems available, and I can only get it to work with one, which is in line with one forum post I read. The important thing as well is that every step has to be done as the "superuser" (administrator), "root", and via the SliTaz command line "XTerm".

Note that if you close down the command window for any reason at any stage, you will have to enter "su" and the "root" password again.

This works with the "Cooking" version and also with the "Stable" version 3.0.

1:

Install SliTaz 3.0 ISO to CD using any "Image" burning software such as "ImgBurn".

2:

Insert your USB flash drive, and then boot with the CD without entering any changes at the boot screen. Lots of suggestions to do this, but none of them worked, and mostly they caused a failed login "loop". If you have two ROM drives, make sure the CD is in the "master" drive. It took me some time to realise that a CD in the "slave" drive will not mount in part 6 below. (Leastways it wouldn't for me)

3:

Once booted, open the "XTerm" terminal window from the quick launch icon bottom left, or the menu.

4:

Enter "su" (no quotes), and password "root" (no quotes). Nothing appears on the command line when you enter the password, but it does enter. This "enter su" is the critical bit I didn't find on most of the sites and forums I googled to, which meant nothing would work via the command line, although everything appeared to.

5:

You're now in as "root" (superuser). Format your USB drive, which is invariably called "sda1", using the following command, with all commands being proceeded by the entry "tazusb" (no quotes). Take note of the space after "format".

tazusb format /dev/sda1

You'll be asked which file system you want to use. Choose "ext3". The USB drive will then be formated, and the USB drive light should be active. On completion it will tell you the drive is now ready to be installed.

6:

Install SliTaz from the CD with the following command.

tazusb gen-liveusb /dev/sda1

The CD will now be mounted and the installation process will start. USB drive light activity will tell you if it's writing to the drive.

When you're informed that the installation is finished, the writing process may not be, so wait until the USB drive light is inactive.

7:

Reboot your computer, and boot with the USB drive. You can remove the CD at this stage.

This option may not be in your BIOS, but if you break into the boot process (esc key on my XP computer), most pc's will detect and list the USB drive.

8:

When loaded, make some changes so you'll know if "persistence" has worked when you next reboot. Then open up the terminal window again, enter "su" and password "root". Then enter one of the following commands. You have three choices of compression ... gzip, lzma, or none. I chose none as I have the space on my 1gb drive, and it's quicker.

tazusb writefs gzip /dev/sda1

or

tazusb writefs lzma /dev/sda1 (lzma begins with an "el" not a capital i. They can look the same)

or

tazusb writefs none /dev/sda1

This "write" will now give you a new message ... "Moving rootfs.gz to media".

You should be getting drive activity quite a lot now, and the final evidence that "persistence" is working, is when you select the logout icon. The logout screen will have extra options ...

Which are the file compression choices. They don't appear if "persistence" hasn't been achieved. I left the compression checkbox empty, and for good measure selected "none" although the empty check box probably overrides the three options.

And that's it.

I have found that the "stable" version of SliTaz can occasionally experience a minor glitch, like the newly installed Aqualung player not being there after rebooting, although the new icon I placed on the desktop was. However, after installing again it has become permanent. The "cooking" version is terrible IMHO. I was getting constant strange things happening with the Midori browser for one thing, so I would advise using the stable version 3.0.

I've gone through this process so many times, I did this guide from memory, but it has worked now each and every time I've carried it out, on two different USB drives. If you have any problems I'll be happy to try sort them although I'm by no means a SliTaz or Linux expert, and computers can be finicky things at best.

This is a cracking little Operating System, but bear in mind that using it "as is", with no "persistence", gives you a much faster experience as it runs 100% in memory, and the Midori browser is blazingly fast.

If you want to make and save changes, it runs in memory and uses the USB drive, as it seems to write any changes as you go along. There is an option to "defer" changes, but it really is very slick without using that option, and I haven't actually tried it.

As a Live CD, (or to be accurate a Live USB) for rescue purposes, it works well, with useful software installed such as GParted, and once you open up the "My Documents" window, simply clicking on any of your computer drives listed automatically mounts that drives file system (right clicking the drives gives you a "Mount File System" option which does the same thing), which enables you to transfer files from any drive to another. Drag and drop works well for this also.

For folk with "Notebook" computers with no CDROM drive, a Live USB rescue package is an essential part of your computer gear. Don't be without one.

I'm now off for a lie down. :)

EDIT: Once the USB drive install has loaded, you can access this post with the Midori browser to follow each step easily. Obvious thing to do maybe, but just in case it didn't occur I thought it worth a mention.

Wow, I'm impressed. happy0005.gif Great tutorial, makes it sound easy. Loooong day today, will try it tomorrow. Does persist mean that all changes will stick, or do I get to choose when to keep them?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Worked like a charm. Installed Slitaz to a 256 mb usb stick. The reformat was so fast I thought it didn't work.

- I took the precaution of disconnecting all usb devices before the installation.

- USB installer would not recognize the 8 cm dvd-r, so I just put in the regular CD and installed from it. No reboot needed, just retyped the install command.

- My usb stick was recognized as "sde1" not "sda1".

As far as saving changes, not yet sure how to control that:

- Installed Abiword, saved as in your instructions, still there after reboot.

- Installed VLC media player, didn't save anything, just shut down, but it was still there after reboot

Very impressive writeup, Dennis, thank you. Have an operating system for the cost of a (free) usb stick. :D

• Moderators

Excellent, I'm pleased it worked OK, which means it will work for other folk.

The save thing I'm not sure about but there is an option to make a new ISO from within the running "persistent" USB version, which includes all your changes and added programs. I'm guessing that this new ISO when installed, will not save without going through the "writefs" process as "root".

So you would have a version set up exactly as you want it, installed to CD or USB, which runs 100% in memory, and doesn't save.

I'll still be checking out my current install, because the log off options screen appears to give you the option not to save any changes made that session, and I'm pretty sure that option will tie in the option to "defer saving", which I haven't tried yet.

- Installed Abiword, saved as in your instructions, still there after reboot.

- Installed VLC media player, didn't save anything, just shut down, but it was still there after reboot

Latest news from the Slitaz auxiliary lab.

- Abiword, saved before shutdown, is still in the office menu and it works.

- VLC player, installed but not saved at shutdown, no longer appears in the mulitmedia menu.

- GIMP, just installed but not yet saved, is in the graphics menu but won't open.

I guess you have to save the installation before it becomes functional??

So, will now shutdown and save and see if GIMP works after restart.

Edit: That worked, Saved using gzip and rebooted. Must have clicked a wrong button before.

- Had to install the console (from the package manager) for GIMP.

- VLC player is a bit limited in this OS, no sound for some files.

Still, its a nifty, fast litle OS.

Guess it is a matter of finding out what works with what. I'm off to experiment with apps now. :-)

Thanks again for that explanation, Dennis. A lot of time went into that.

Thanks Hazel, you got this thing started a long time ago, and it is a barrel of fun.

• Moderators

I had a similar experience with the Aqualung player ...

I have found that the "stable" version of SliTaz can occasionally experience a minor glitch, like the newly installed Aqualung player not being there after rebooting, although the new icon I placed on the desktop was. However, after installing again it has become permanent.

... Second install has stayed in place along with all the other stuff I changed.

I haven't tried installing any other programs yet, like Opera for instance, but the set up I have now seems very stable.

It isn't gonna replace Windows as my system of choice, but as a "Live USB", and something to play around with for a change, it's good fun and a challenge to get it doing what you tell it to do.

One point of interest, every other Linux Distro I've tried has the screen off set to the right on my monitor, with no way to adjust that except use the vertical adjustment on the monitor itself. SliTaz is perfectly lined up the same as Windows. I'm wondering why.

Have you experienced that?

:lol: Every other distro I've used is set up correctly, and Slitaz is off to the left. May have to do with ones position relative to the Atlantic Ocean. Wonder if it would be offset low or maybe upside down for Tasgandy?

Found this: From the menu lower left, select "preferences", "Openbox Configuration Manager", "Margins".

By setting the right margin to 40, I just about center up the Midori Browser.

Still don't know how to remove that margin on the right. Lowest value available is zero. ??

• Moderators

Isn't that strange?

I was looking at making adjustments using the Xorg configuration options, but you can do damage with it if you're not careful.

I looked at the "margins" feature, but it didn't sound like it would do what I wanted, although I'll give it another look.

Running with Puppy at the moment.

Is there an easier way to install this on a CD??

I use Universal USB Installer to embed my Linuxes on my USB flashdrives but it requires me maybe 700 MB to actually put this SliTaz on the USB.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Isn't that strange?

I was looking at making adjustments using the Xorg configuration options, but you can do damage with it if you're not careful.

I looked at the "margins" feature, but it didn't sound like it would do what I wanted, although I'll give it another look.

Running with Puppy at the moment.

Yep, Xorg is over my head, make a typo and you're out of business...

I just started w/ Slitaz, found out that Midori is still centered in the screen and I am still logged in here, even though I didn't save any changes at shutdown.

I use Universal USB Installer to embed my Linuxes on my USB flashdrives but it requires me maybe 700 MB to actually put this SliTaz on the USB.

The screenshot shows about 226 mb file size for my "Boot" folder. It apparently includes a gz folder for every change made. And they grow in size for every app installed.

th_Slitazbootfolder.jpg

Right now I will try the Live CD Creator, make a CD with this system on it, and see if it puts the whole thing on or just the latest gz. Will report back. :-)

working. . .didn't work yet...my hope is to install just the basic distro (~32 mb), and the extra packages (~13.5 mb).

Trying again...

Edit: OK, here is what worked.

It was not fast, even with a medium download speed. But it created a new live cd with the apps I wanted.

1. Boot from your original live cd.

- - Leave it in the drive until prompted to put in a new one.

2. Install whatever apps you want. I installed VLC player, Mpui, and Gimp.

- - The new apps will be running in memory for now.

- - They will install to the new live cd.

3. From the menu, select system tools > Create a Live CD.

- - This opens Tazlito Box

- - Click on the Live Flavor tab.

- - Click on Gen distro. Slitaz will begin to download files for the apps you installed from the net. The slow part. :-)

- - After downloading, you'll press enter, and the black screen will disappear.

4. Go back to the Tazlito Box where you started.

- - Click on Write ISO...leave the original cd in still

- - Tazlito Box will prepare the iso for writing.

- - you will be offered the option to remove the sound card and screen configs.

- - I don't know what that means so I clicked enter to keep'em. Maybe someone else can say?

5. When the iso is ready you will be prompted to exit or burn the iso

- - Type burn and enter

- - You will be prompted to insert a blank CD rom and press enter.

- - You will be prompted to burn iso y/n.

- - Type y, press enter,

and there ya go, it will burn a new CD with your original Slitaz OS plus the new apps you installed.

Edit 2: The size of the files on the new cd is about 114 mb, which I suppose is because of the extra apps?

th_slitaziso114mb.jpg

There may be an easier way to do this. Especially if you could somehow skip the download part. Anyone Know a quicker way?

• Moderators

It depends what you want Ishi.

SliTaz burned to a CD using ImgBurn is only 30mb ...

... and installed onto a USB drive using UnetBootin (as fat32) is only 60mb including the UnetBootin boot files.

If you want to make it "persistent", then in my experience it needs to be installed onto an ext3 formatted USB drive, and anything you add will obviously increase the size, but for a Live CD/USB rescue disk, installed "as is" with no save capability, it's as small as it comes.

• Moderators

and there ya go, it will burn a new CD with your original Slitaz OS plus the new apps you installed.

That's excellent work, and from what I can remember of the SliTaz menus and options, I don't think that can be bettered.

Nice one.

Another piece of what I think will be interesting info on the screen alignment issue, is that I think I've found a fix using Ubuntu, which I've just installed to a USB drive, and I'm running with it now.

I decided to install Ubuntu, simply because it's a pretty much polished Operating System and I was hoping that because of it's size and pedigree it may have more advanced technical options which may include screen alignment settings.

It doesn't have that exact feature, but it does have the option to set the screen refresh rate from the default 60hz to 70hz, and that tweaked something in the back of my mind which I'm sure I've read over the last few days.

So I bit the bullet and switched to 70hz, my monitor settings window popped up momentarily, which nearly scared the pants off me, and then automatically realigned the screen perfectly.

I'll have to check back now to see if Puppy can do that. No need to check SliTaz, as it already lines up straight, but it doesn't for you I remember.

My monitor is a Toshiba flat screen LCD by the way in case that's crucial.

:lol: Every other distro I've used is set up correctly, and Slitaz is off to the left. May have to do with ones position relative to the Atlantic Ocean. Wonder if it would be offset low or maybe upside down for Tasgandy?

I heard that Login123..............I am guessing that down here it would be at 45? as those who know me maintain that I have unusual "slant" on life.

Seriously, if I get time over the Easter break I may just try it myself however I am well happy with the last Ubuntu I built several months ago running solo on a 6 year old P4 with heaps of grunt, damm thing fly's like a bird.

Happy and Safe Easter to all. :D

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

I think I've found a fix using Ubuntu, which I've just installed to a USB drive, and I'm running with it now.

Thank you for the kind words, sir, high praise indeed coming from you.

Ubuntu on a usb? There goes the rest of the day week. :P

Hi Tasgandy. 7.gif How go your travels? Well I hope.

• Moderators

Although this is a SliTaz thread, any info on linux issues I think is relevant, and the screen alignment issue is definitely the result of refresh rate.

XP displays properly at 60hz, and if I change that to 70hz, it still displays clearly with no glitches/flickering, but it jumps across to the side.

And if you want to have a run at Ubuntu and save changes onto a USB, then you can set it to be "persistent" by installing it with "Universal USB Installer". Whether you can do it via a "superuser" account as you can in SliTaz, I don't know. Re-installing is probably quicker than searching for, and then applying a different method, if there is one.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Being a linux novice I didn't realise that Ubuntu isn't persistent by default. You have to set it up.

I lost a lovely set up yesterday when I closed down, so I'm installing it again when I log off here.

Ishi, did you ever get it sorted out to your satisfaction? Asking because I just used Dennis's procedure to put Slitaz with the new apps onto the original USB, and it occupies only about 116 mb.

• Moderators

Thought I'd put this link in the thread as it may help folk who are unsure about how to put operating systems onto a USB, either Linux or Windows.

Now it's been made real easy

http://techgage.com/news/creating_bootable_linux_thumb_drives_with_universal_usb_installer/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thought I'd put this link in the thread as it may help folk who are unsure about how to put operating systems onto a USB, either Linux or Windows.

Now it's been made real easy

http://techgage.com/news/creating_bootable_linux_thumb_drives_with_universal_usb_installer/

Thank you muchly, Hazel. I just tried it, stopped short of an installation...no need, and anyway I'm out of usb sticks. :P Wow. It will either install an iso you already have "on file" or download it. Has links to a big list of available distros.

• Moderators

So did you dive into Ubuntu on USB?

I made myself a 5gb partition for it on my 2nd internal hard drive ... and it didn't work out very well, so I'm back with the USB version.

But that's another story. :)