Deletion of System Restore files

seasidetrader

Running Defraggler deletes all of my system restore files in Windows 7 Ultimate. Can someone advise as to how to change the settings in Defraggler so it does not delete those system restore files

It generally doesn't. A FAQ is "why is my disk filled with large fragmented files?" almost always System Volume Info used for restore.

Was your disk fairly full, and not defragged before with Defraggler? It tends to do more defrag work, and compacts unlike the Win defrag.

Thanks for your reply.

My hard drive is only 55% used and 45% free.

I run Defraggler and CC Cleaner once a week and noticed my system restore files were being deleted. So I created a new restore point and ran cc Cleaner and the restore point remained. Then I ran Defraggler and the restore point was removed and missing. So therefore it must be Defraggler removing the restore points. Really not sure why and I definitely do not want the restore points removed.

• Moderators

This is a problem discussed on here quite a few times, and it applies to Vista and Win7 "System Restore/Volume Shadow Copy".

It's nothing to do with Defraggler, as it happens with any third party defrag program.

The System Shadow Copy provider uses a copy-on-write mechanism that operates at a 16-KB block level. This is independent of the file system's cluster allocation unit size. If the file system's cluster size is smaller than 16 KB, the System Shadow Copy provider cannot easily determine that disk defragmentation I/O is different from typical write I/O, and performs a copy-on-write operation. This might cause the Shadow Copy storage area to grow very quickly. If the storage area reaches its user-defined limit, the oldest shadow copies are deleted first.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312067#top

Previously discussed here:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=31045&view=findpost&p=187500

Wiping free space won't help as you're creating a very large file during the WFS process (which is deleted on completion of course).

It's an Operating System issue unfortunately.

The same happens on my Win7 Pro x64 laptop (restore points deleted after running Defraggler). I even have C:\System Volume Information\* in the Exclude section. I've just gotten in the habit of creating a manual restore point right after Defraggler completes. Restore points are created properly from this point forward until the next time I run Defraggler.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

Out of curiosity, do you have your system restore files being saved to your OS drive?

I wonder if you had them saved to a different partition/volume that defraggler would not touch those areas and remain contained within the c: confines?

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, do you have your system restore files being saved to your OS drive?

I wonder if you had them saved to a different partition/volume that defraggler would not touch those areas and remain contained within the c: confines?

How do I change to a different partition? W7 Home Premium x64