VIDEO EDITOR NEEDED

Tom AZ

Your videos are divided into titles unfortunately most DVD players will pause between titles because they're not treated as continuos unlike chapters.

The best way around this would be to cut each clip, save them as individual files and then rebuild / merge them all back into one mpeg clip.

If you need software then Avidemux should be able to help - http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/download.html

Richard S.

Your videos are divided into titles unfortunately most DVD players will pause between titles because they're not treated as continuos unlike chapters.

The best way around this would be to cut each clip, save them as individual files and then rebuild / merge them all back into one mpeg clip.

If you need software then Avidemux should be able to help - http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/download.html

Richard S.

Thanks Richard. I guess there's no way to have DVDShrink assign the segments as chapters versus titles.

In reference to your suggestion I highlighted in red, is there an advantage to rebuild/merge the files back into one mpeg clip versus avi clip?

I only suggested to cut and merge mpeg-2 files since they are native to DVD players however Avidemux supports many codecs so AVI files should be fine.

When you're ready to save everything try using Video "Copy" and Audio "Copy" modes first, if you experience playback problems i.e. pixelation and audio blips then you will need to change the Video / Audio codecs.

Just be aware that certain video formats especially mpeg-2 only work in certain resolutions so you may need to apply a resize "Filter" to fix it.

Richard S.

• Moderators

Hi Chris.

I haven't been in for a few days as I'm not at home, which means I can't physically do any sort of "testing" to find a solution to your issue, which I've never experienced.

If you find a successful workaround such as Richards suggestion, that's fine, but I'll still have a play around with it the week after next when I get home.

I only suggested to cut and merge mpeg-2 files since they are native to DVD players however Avidemux supports many codecs so AVI files should be fine.

When you're ready to save everything try using Video "Copy" and Audio "Copy" modes first, if you experience playback problems i.e. pixelation and audio blips then you will need to change the Video / Audio codecs.

Just be aware that certain video formats especially mpeg-2 only work in certain resolutions so you may need to apply a resize "Filter" to fix it.Richard S.

Understood. Thanks for the tips, Richard. :)

Hi Chris. I haven't been in for a few days as I'm not at home, which means I can't physically do any sort of "testing" to find a solution to your issue, which I've never experienced. If you find a successful workaround such as Richards suggestion, that's fine, but I'll still have a play around with it the week after next when I get home.

Hi Dennis. I hope all's well and you're someplace nice. Thanks for your help as well. I'll keep a lookout for your feedback. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

OK Chris, I've spent some time on this over the last couple of days, and have it more or less sorted what you can and can't do with Shrink, and how to get around the pause you experience with your conversions.

I went back to the DVD's I've "doctored" using Shrinks ISO join feature, and with each one the section or scene I've edited out has been at the point of a natural "fade to black" at the start of the unwanted section, and a natural "fade from black" at the end of the unwanted scene.

So, although there is a slight pause due to the two joined parts being saved as individual titles, because of the "fade to black" at the join, it seems completely natural, and it's never caught my attention.

I therefore did an edit job on a short home movie, and the result was a noticeable join with a momentary freezing of the image. Not very good really, and not something I would want to keep.

There is a solution, but it isn't easy to do with any free software I've been able to find so far.

I've looked at a couple of utilities called "VobEdit" and "IfoEdit", with which you can apparently join together the vob files from each of the newly edited parts, and then make new ifo files for the resultant new single vob file, but what a pain in the backside. I gave up with absolutely no success at all. I lost patience and it nearly did my head in.

The easiest solution I found was using a commercial program.

If you have two ISO files you simply load them into this program and it converts them to a Video_TS folder containing the usual ifo, bup and vob files, but as one "title". Therefore a completely seamless join when the Video_TS folder is burned to DVD.

I'll keep looking for a freeware program which does the same job, and in the meantime I'll pm you some details about the commercial program I found in case you're interested in that. I don't want to promote it here otherwise I'll get reprimanded for spamming. :)

• Moderators

I've got Avidemux Richard, and use it for remuxing AVI audio and video files after I've demuxed them to change the frame rate, but I'm assuming you would have to convert a DVD as Avidemux won't work with ISO's or Video_TS folders. Converting to another format is something I've always managed to avoid.

The solution I mention above to join the vob files into one title and create new ifo files is so damned easy with a commercial program there must be a free one out there somewhere that does the same thing.

• Moderators

You can join VOB's with Freemake Video Converter, however it will transcode/re-encode the original DVD Video files into new ones and there will be degradation of quality. However since the resulting bitrate will be very high it may not be noticed.

Like you Dennis I've played around with freeware VOB joining tools before but all resulting software completely refuses to use them afterwards, for instance HandBrake, etc., can't even fully encode them or will just crash attempting to.

It's not such a problem if for instance encoding straight to Xvid or DivX and then later joining the files with AVI-Mux GUI, or Avidemux which can losslessly join the files without re-encoding them. I have some tricks up my sleeve though from playing around with this the last few years where I'll do audio fade-in's/fade-out's so when joining parts that aren't really gapless they won't have an audio click/pop/blurp or whatever it's called to have a smoother transition.

There is another program called TMPGEnc it's not freeware for encoding mpeg-2 files however mpeg-1 encoding / editing is free for personal use.

Since vobs are technically containers with mpeg-2 data you need to trick the program to treat them as mpeg-1 files :)

Run TMPGEnc and go to "MPEG Tools" and "Merge & Cut".

Click "Add", set "Files of type" to "All files(*.*)" or enter *.voc in the filename box then navigate to "VIDEO_TS" and open the main VOB file (usually the biggest one in the list).

Now go to the "Type" pull-down box if it shows MPEG-2 you must change it to MPEG-1 Video CD (non-stand) otherwise the program throws error messages.

To crop a scene double click on the Filename (in list) to bring up the preview window, from there you can enter the start and end times manually or use play / pause with the "{" "}" buttons.

Just be aware that cropping isn't highly accurate so save your scenes and verify them by watching.

Click on "Browse" and enter the filename i.e. scene_01.mpg then hit "Run" to crop.

When you're happy with the result change the start and end times for the next scene and save again with a different filename.

Once all scenes have been processed you're now ready to merge them back into one file.

Delete the vob filename from the list and keep hitting Add and selecting the scene files in numerical order.

Browse to set the output file and then Run to start the merging.

Although mpeg-1 VCD was select for muxing video and audio streams the end file is still seen as mpeg-2.

Richard S.

Thanks guys.

Regarding this post, I ended up successfully creating a fairly good dvd with the edits (deleted parts) and without pauses where the parts are joined. But, it was quite a convoluted and time-consuming process. I started out using WinX DVD Ripper Platinum to convert the iso to mpeg format (I had WinX DVD Ripper Platinum already installed in a sandbox from a giveawayoftheday.com promotion a while back.) Then I used an old program that came pre-installed on my system - WinDVD Creator - to perform the edits. I don't like WinDVD Creator much, but I thought I'd give it a go...and it worked. Lastly, I used DVDStyler to author and burn the video. I don't think the transcoding and re-encoding process helped much in preserving the overall quality, but my 10-year old isn't a devotee in that regard; I don't think he will notice much. Still, it was quite a hassle to go through the steps.

I intend to play around with some of the suggested programs posted here (thanks again :) ). I sandbox everything to try to keep the registry in my old computer as clean up as possible, so no harm done if I install, uninstall a bunch of times.

Dennis, I'll follow up with you regarding your pm. :)