ALL 'unused registry keys' ok to 'fix' ?

akm

The registry scan brought up 'Unused registry key / .ht\OpenWithList / HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ht\OpenWithList.

Just wondering if ALL 'Unused registry keys' are ok to 'fix', and/or how to determine if ?

Ps:

Any way to get a PDF of the complete 'manual' at http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner ?

And, thanks again for your help !
akm (W10,Firefox,Privatefirewall,Avast,Malwarebytes)

• Moderators

Some CCleaner users have cleaned them with no perceivable issues, while there's others who won't clean them and exclude them via right-clicking them, or go as far as unticking "Unused File Extensions" in the registry cleaner portion of CCleaner. Basically the registry cleaner has become more thorough over the last two versions.

"become more thorough" isn't a good excuse to flag perfect legitimate registry entries as bad.

akm, I would avoid using unused file detection for now CCleaner has some detection problems that need sorting out.

Richard S.

• Moderators

"become more thorough" isn't a good excuse to flag perfect legitimate registry entries as bad.

akm, I would avoid using unused file detection for now CCleaner has some detection problems that need sorting out.

Yes indeed, however I myself have grown tired of probably being the main culprit of complaining about it, there's already enough threads we can point people to that ask questions about it. I've downgraded back to CCleaner v3.03.1366 so I can at least enable unused file extensions with confidence. I have no plans on ever updating to a new version again until "unused file extensions" is tamed down - that and giving us the choice of ticking/unticking things like the new improved Opera cleaning and Firewall rules.

Its on personal choice anyway. I recommend doing a backup first before any Registry cleaning. I have cleaned the unused file extensions thing on CCleaner versions 3.04 and 3.05 and I see no problems in contrary to what others might see as a significant concern. I think it has something to do with the files that you open with programs and stuff, one example is Themepack files. However some of the entries that appear in there that got cleaned will re-appear at some point again anyway if the sequence of events that led to them being created has been done again.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Thank you all for the replies and info/comments.

Guess (key word) my main question is... how/where (or is it even possible) to determine if an 'unused registry key' (and any of the other ccleaner registry fixes) is ok to 'fix' ?

Main objective is to try run the D830 laptop as clean and mean as possible... its getting a bit old, 4yrs, but has new HD and motherboard.

Do all the sfc, chkdsk, viruscan, ccleaner, & defrag b4 a Acronis10 full monthly (with incremental backups bi-weekly) backup.

Latest problem/s seems to be an occasional 'memory dump' during startup.

Not sure if ccleaner can help with that.

Thoughts on any of above ?

And, thanks again for your help !
akm (W10,Firefox,Privatefirewall,Avast,Malwarebytes)