Steam Cleaning

This new function added which now pretty much cripples Steam as now i am unable to View the store or community pages from the client i have had to completely remove the application then reinstall it so i can see the store and community pages

• Moderators

This is what is being cleaned in steam by ccleaner

[steam]
ID=2203
LangSecRef=3023
DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\Steam\Steam.exe
Default=True
FileKey1=%ProgramFiles%\Steam\Appcache\httpcache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey2=%ProgramFiles%\Steam\Config\htmlcache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey3=%ProgramFiles%\Steam\Config\cookies|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey4=%ProgramFiles%\Steam\Config\overlaycookies|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey5=%ProgramFiles%\Steam\Config\overlayhtmlcache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey6=%ProgramFiles%\Steam|*.mdmp
FileKey7=%ProgramFiles%\Steam\Dumps|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey8=%ProgramFiles%\Steam|*.log
FileKey9=%ProgramFiles%\Steam\Logs|*.*|RECURSE

do you know which of these items (listed as FileKey*= ) should not be being removed?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

This is what is being cleaned in steam by ccleaner

[steam]
ID=2203
LangSecRef=3023
DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\Steam\Steam.exe
Default=True
FileKey3=%ProgramFiles%\Steam\Config\cookies|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey4=%ProgramFiles%\Steam\Config\overlaycookies|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey5=%ProgramFiles%\Steam\Config\overlayhtmlcache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey6=%ProgramFiles%\Steam|*.mdmp
FileKey7=%ProgramFiles%\Steam\Dumps|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey8=%ProgramFiles%\Steam|*.log
FileKey9=%ProgramFiles%\Steam\Logs|*.*|RECURSE

do you know which of these items (listed as FileKey*= ) should not be being removed?

It's either:

I once deleted those files my self manually and had the exact same problem. I had to reinstall Steam for it to fix its self as it wasn't redownloading them automatically.

We haven't been able to replicate this problem.

Please, can someone post if they are able to replicate this problem and what is being broken by the cleaning?

Many Thanks!

I just tried it now again, and now apparently Steam is downloading the required files properly. I'd wager to guess that this was an issue with the Steam client simply not replacing missing files automatically for some of us. So all appears well! :)

I'd wager to guess that this was an issue with the Steam client simply not replacing missing files automatically for some of us. So all appears well! :)

I beg to differ. All is definitely not well. The issue wasn't the Steam client not replacing missing files. The issue was the missing files. There's really no good reason they should have been missing in the first place. What's happening isn't really just a "cleaning of the cache" so much as it is breaking Steam so that it must repair itself. And just because Steam can fix itself does it mean that we should be indiscriminately deleting files from it. What should be clearly evident here is that the actions of CCleaner are not just removing a temporary cache from Steam, but also it is deleting files that are required for proper operation of the client. After all, when you delete the Internet Explorer cache, neither the user or Internet Explorer are required to run through any sort of repair process. Why should the Steam client? Restarting Steam after letting CCleaner clean is not actually Steam redownloading files required for proper operation. What is happening is that Steam is repairing itself. So all is not well when you have a sloppy third-party program set to break another company's product using its default settings.

Can anyone explain why a program like Steam needs to be "cleaned"? Is it the cache? Does every program that has a cache needs to be cleaned? Do the users that CCleaner is marketed to know that CCleaner is actually what is breaking their programs?

My suggestion is for Steam to be removed from CCleaner. Obviously, there are no good reasons that Piriform could justify adding Steam to CCleaner aside from, "It's got a cache. It needs to be cleaned." If it's not entirely removed, then at the very least it should be an opt-in selection instead of an opt-out selection. After CCleaner breaks Steam, a user would be more likely to realize that, as a result of seeking out more settings and manually selecting Steam in CCleaner's options, CCleaner is why the Steam client is broken. As it stands, CCleaner has never broken Steam up until this point so when it starts happening to people why would they suspect CCleaner to be the culprit? The addition of Steam was buried in the update notes along with a slew of other new programs added. There were no prominent notices or warnings that Steam is about to be broken by CCleaner.

There have already been a few reports on the Steam forums from users who didn't even realize that a recent CCleaner update caused this. Since the aim of CCleaner marketing is pointed at inexperienced, non-technical users unlikely to read update notes it would seem logical to not further complicate issues they may be having with their computers. Before you place the blame on people for not reading update notes, then consider the following page:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

If you want people to read, give them something to read. Maybe a changelog link next to the download button. But why, right? Piriform isn't the company with a newly increased support load. Just leave the changelog tucked away under 'Company News' instead of moving it to a more intuitive and logical location...like the product's own page, for example.

The best option, however, would be to remove Steam from CCleaner's list of programs that need to be cleaned. Mainly because it's not actually "cleaning" Steam; It's breaking it.

After hours of pulling my hair our from reinstalling flash etc, I realized CCleaner was causing me grief with steam. I have a brand new gaming PC (3 days old) and was trying to figure out for the life of me why Steam looks like this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5554506/steam.jpg

It then became strange when the images in that scrolling section changed to new ones, and the new images worked flawlessly, but previously broken images remained broken. I then knew it had something to do with a cache and after finding a forum on Steam I narrowed it down to CCleaner. That's what the Steam CCleaner option does to my Steam game.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, brand new install. Restarting Windows/Steam does not fix the issue. I even attempted a Steam repair but it failed due to an error (likely caused from the damage from CCleaner maybe?)

Edit: Update! I went into steam/config files and deleted 2 folders htmlcache and something else and I opened steam again and the missing images were fixed.

Hi, I used the steam feature under multimedia and had the same issue, firstly I went to the store to verify and found everything was white with links, so I right clicked and hit refresh, this got the "shape" of things back however some pictures were still missing as displayed here: 2pqndye.png

furthermore after searching google "ccleaner bugging steam" I was able to find this topic available on steam forums: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21594606

scroll down to the username afarnsworth who works for valve and references a fix that worked for another user with the same issue.

( This is easily fixed by deleting the cache folders.

1. Exit Steam

2. Navigate to: X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config

3. Delete the "htmlcache" and "overlayhtmlcache" folders

4. Start Steam )

Here's my results for recreating this issue, I have used CCleaner while steam is launched and have had all of the bugs reported above, after repairing them by following the instructions above I decided to try cleaning with steam CLOSED completely and I am unable to recreate this bug, I can assume that this issue would be the very same if a user were to delete these folders and or files that CCleaner cleans while steam is running, IMO the only thing CCleaner needs to do is enforce a DO NOT CLEAN IF RUNNING policy on steam. I however cannot speak for everyone but my testing leads me to believe that at least on windows 7 64bit that this isn't an issue when steam is exited completely out, be it for cleansing of it's caches or otherwise. I hope that you find this information use full in ruling out this issue, I believe anyone can recreate this issue if they leave steam running when they launch CCleaner and have Steam under multimedia in the application tab checked. Thanks for reading - MayJoko

MrT, new versions works flawlessly with Steam. Thanks

I'm confused, you're not going to clean steam at all any more? it seems like the problem just needs to be fixed with a prompt like when a browser is open saying it can't clean if it is open...

I'm confused, you're not going to clean steam at all any more? it seems like the problem just needs to be fixed with a prompt like when a browser is open saying it can't clean if it is open...

The latest version still cleans Steam.