CCleaner thinks I still have Firefox installed

paulgj

Hello,

I have v3.04.1389 installed on Win 7 Pro x64 and after uninstalling Firefox 3.6, the applications tab still lists Firefox.

I have checked the registry and every conceivable location I can think of for Firefox leftovers and yet still the entry persists. Do I have to uninstall and reinstall CCleaner for the Firefox entry to "go away" ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Paul

• Moderators

The cause for this is usually:

* A left over registry key location. Make a System Restore Point first so you can undo any mishaps should you have any, and then open RegEdit via Start->Run and look in and delete the Mozilla keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mozilla

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\mozilla.org

* Left over Application Data, or Program Files folders:

Enable the view of Hidden Files and Folders, and then look in your User Profile folder for a Mozilla folder.

Look in your Program Files folder for a Mozilla Firefox folder.

Note:

Leaving the left over registry keys, and folders does NOT harm your system, it will only annoy you seeing it in CCleaner and other cleaning tools.

• Moderators

I don't know where else to tell you to look exactly since CCleaner uses some special code to detect Firefox which doesn't state exactly where it looks.

If you've found and removed anything make sure you restart your computer after doing so, also make sure you don't have some extra cleaners for Firefox if you use the winapp2.ini addon which would be a file in CCleaner's installed folder.

That's about all I can think of for now, and hopefully someone else has more ideals of where to find the leftovers causing the issue.