[Solved] Opera and Safari and Ccleaner

Almohan

Hello.

I have been using CCleaner for some years now, I keep updating it regularly, but whatever I try CCleaner never sees that Safari is installed although it definitely is, and it won't see that Opera is gone although I did remove it (using the Ccleaner uninstall interface actually).

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling CCleaner, Safari and Opera in every possible way, to no avail. It doesn't matter a lot really, still it's annoying as it shows CCleaner definitely has bugs with my system (XP SP3 up to date).

Thanks if anyone can help--and regards from France by the way.

a.

Ah bonjour! :lol:

The detect file for Safari is

DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\Safari\Safari.exe

Is this where you have Safari installed?

As for Opera, the detect is built into the binary, so it's not visible to me, but I would hazard a guess that it's looking for something in the registry, program files, app data or local app data, have you tried searching for files/keys in these locations for Opera?

Ah bonjour! :lol:

Salut ! ;)

The detect file for Safari is

DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\Safari\Safari.exe

Is this where you have Safari installed?

Nope. Then is there any way I can let CCleaner know where the program is located?

As for Opera, the detect is built into the binary, so it's not visible to me, but I would hazard a guess that it's looking for something in the registry, program files, app data or local app data, have you tried searching for files/keys in these locations for Opera?

Yes, I made pretty sure I deleted manually everything that hadn't been automatically. Now I don't mind having a look into regedit, so I may erase avery occurrence of Opera manually. Would you think that'd clear it from CCleaner too?

Merci de m'avoir lu, et merci d'avance !

• Moderators

Yes, ccleaner work on a detect basis, so if you remove all traces on OP then it should remove it from ccleaner.

Sadly I think (though don't quote me) that custom locations only works for firefox and chrome but here are instructions http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/advanced-usage/ccleaner-ini-files/how-to-clean-user-data-from-non-standard-mozilla-browsers

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Yes, ccleaner work on a detect basis, so if you remove all traces on OP then it should remove it from ccleaner.

Sadly I think (though don't quote me) that custom locations only works for firefox and chrome but here are instructions http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/advanced-usage/ccleaner-ini-files/how-to-clean-user-data-from-non-standard-mozilla-browsers

Thanks! I'll check that and be back.

PS For some reason I wasn't informed of Winapp2.ini's answer, but I just got an email from the system about yours, Nergal.

• 2 weeks later...

...Well, nothing doing. I uninstalled and reinstalled both CCleaner and Opera and vice versa, but CCleaner kept seeing Opera was is was long gone. I finally reinstalled Opera using the default location, ran Opera then quit and uninstalled from within the CCleaner interface and another time using XP's uninstall feature, but still CCleaner remains blind about Opera's demise, so as far as I can tell there definitely is a bug there.

...Well, nothing doing. I uninstalled and reinstalled both CCleaner and Opera and vice versa, but CCleaner kept seeing Opera was is was long gone. I finally reinstalled Opera using the default location, ran Opera then quit and uninstalled from within the CCleaner interface and another time using XP's uninstall feature, but still CCleaner remains blind about Opera's demise, so as far as I can tell there definitely is a bug there.

Zero evidence for a bug.

CCleaner only uses whatever inadequate installer is provided with Opera.

You would be far better off re-installing the original version of Opera,

and then using RevoUninstaller which can remove Opera and identify and purge the remnants that Opera leaves behind.

Where is safari.exe ?

I do not understand how that can be relocated by a clean purge of Opera.

Is it where required at

C:\Program Files\Safari\Safari.exe

Hello.

I do not understand how that can be relocated by a clean purge of Opera.
I don't think I wrote that, and if I did I didn't intend to. :mellow:

Concerning Safari, I have already been instructed to reinstall it in C:\Program Files, otherwise CCleaner isn't aware of its presence in the system. Although I would have liked to keep installing programs away from C: (namely D:), I did reinstall Safari in C:\Program Files, and now CCleaner sees and works on Safari.

This didn't work with Opera, so I'll be trying your tip and be back after that.

Thanks for reading and helping.

I'll be trying your tip and be back after that.
...so here I am and wow! Revo Uninstaller sure is one mighty uninstaller, and now CCleaner is clean of Opera so thank you, Alan_B! :)

...On the other hand you'd think the uninstall function inside CCleaner would be able to do what an outside uninstaller has to do when CCleaner has to withdraw. Then again CCleaner isn't perfect but quite very helpful.

...so here I am and wow! Revo Uninstaller sure is one mighty uninstaller, and now CCleaner is clean of Opera so thank you, Alan_B! :)

...On the other hand you'd think the uninstall function inside CCleaner would be able to do what an outside uninstaller has to do when CCleaner has to withdraw. Then again CCleaner isn't perfect but quite very helpful.

You are welcome, and positive feedback is always welcome.

The CCleaner uninstaller immediately shows what is installed - much faster than Windows Add/Remove tool.

It is part of CCleaner's mission to increase free space by removing what is not needed.

It would take much more code and take longer to launch and execute if CCleaner included the capability of RevoUninstaller.

I use CCleaner every day, but only need RevoUninstaller perhaps once a year when malware protection needs a clean update and the built-in uninstall leaves remnants that obstruct the installation of the next version.

I wonder if someone could tag the title of this thread with [sOLVED] (it seems I can't, as editing my initial post does not affect the title)? It's always satisfactory to start reading a thread when you know it'll bring you an answer...

• Moderators

I wonder if someone could tag the title of this thread with [sOLVED] (it seems I can't, as editing my initial post does not affect the title)? It's always satisfactory to start reading a thread when you know it'll bring you an answer...

Done

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Done

Thank you then.

Now, I'd like to mention that after I used Revo Uninstaller, I was quite surprised to see that CCleaner still found things to delete. I used Revo Uninstaller in the fourth mode, the very thorough, deeper one, for instance to get rid of Real Player which kept adding planned tasks whatever I tried to keep it from that, and Revi Uninstaller offered to delete things quite deep into Regedit, but still I launched CCleaner after and the latter found a (huge!) number of entries to get rid of. I wonder if those really had been left behind by Revo Uninstaller...?

• Moderators

That's a real good idea.

My spirits have often been lifted during a search to fix one of my own problems, when I come across a thread relating to it with "solved" added to the title.

It would be really nice if everyone who had a problem solved here actually came back and told us. Sadly that doesn't happen.

• Moderators

Thank you then.

Now, I'd like to mention that after I used Revo Uninstaller, I was quite surprised to see that CCleaner still found things to delete. I used Revo Uninstaller in the fourth mode, the very thorough, deeper one, for instance to get rid of Real Player which kept adding planned tasks whatever I tried to keep it from that, and Revi Uninstaller offered to delete things quite deep into Regedit, but still I launched CCleaner after and the latter found a (huge!) number of entries to get rid of. I wonder if those really had been left behind by Revo Uninstaller...?

Revo Uninstaller while very useful to do a more thorough uninstall isn't always capable of removing everything. This is why tracking installations to begin with is very helpful with Total Uninstall (Last Freeware Version) it's old and slow but really good, or ZSoft Uninstaller (Freeware) which can be used after Revo Uninstaller.