Corrupt HDD

helpless

I've a HDD in an external USB case. It has a corrupted partition/folder/file structure, i. e. it is not present in Windows XP explorer. But it is well displayed in Window's Device Manager.

How can I make Recuva to find and display said HDD in its "drop-down box at left" to choose it to be scanned?

How can I restrict a deep scan to some region of a storage medium, e. g., to some region of sectors (from ... to...)?

• Moderators

1) The only way I know is to do a quick format and then scan for undeleted files.

2) You can't. You can stop stage 1 of a deep scan, or any scan, and then examine the results, but I think that Recuva scans in logical cluster sequence.

I would suggest delaying the quick formatting because this could destroy data at the start of the drive belonging to files.

There's a small program called TestDisk which may restore your drive, please read the following post: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=31397

Richard S.

I suggest against it too.

I am not sure, but are you describing a RAW format drive?

I have had a few of those happen, & I suggested many times about adding not only RAW mode support to Recuva, but also the ability to recover from password protected user accounts.

I know it is possible, because I have a utility I use right now that can do it. I would just like to see that in Recuva so bad!

Doing a quick format may destroy your hope of getting some of the data back! So, Richard is right!

Thanks!

• Moderators

Well, the user asked how to make Recuva recognise the drive/partition. A format will overwrite the VBR, MFT and other meta files, so that user data loss will be minimal. I know that there are other utilities available, and if the user wants to follow that or any other route then that's fine.

Well, the user asked how to make Recuva recognise the drive/partition. A format will overwrite the VBR, MFT and other meta files, so that user data loss will be minimal. I know that there are other utilities available, and if the user wants to follow that or any other route then that's fine.

I would highly suggest checking out utilities capable of reading RAW format drives, because I know they do exist, & they do work.... I sure wish Recuva could do that! I mean, I cannot recover if there is no drive to select!

Haha! I keep waiting, hoping, that one day, recuva will magically add that missing feature! I'd love it!

• Moderators

If the drive is coming up as RAW and since you have Windows XP that can usually be fixed using the command line Windows Recovery Console, see these Microsoft docs. Safer than a quick format, maybe.

I've had to do that once myself before and lost nothing on the drive to my knowledge in the process, although the Microsoft docs state it can cause problems if the damage is from a virus or hardware issue..