CCleaner deleting OUTLOOK.NK2 file!

fishtail

I think it's time for Piriform to start publish what each checkbox in "Applications" do.

I have Outlook 2003 and the auto-complete list has gone missing...after some digging, I found out CCleaner was the culprit!!!

If there's a list already, I apologize...any direction is greatly appreciated!

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Simply click ANALYZE and that shows a summary of what will be cleaned if/when you "Run Cleaner"

Right click in the results window and select "View Detailed Results" and that shows every files and its size and path.

Select any item and right click and "Save to Text File ..." if you want something from which to copy/paste with further questions.

That will tell you specifically what is going to be deleted if you "Run Cleaner",

and if you think too much good stuff will be zapped then click on the Windows and/or Applications Tabs and uncheck boxes to preserve what you wish,

and then ANALYZE again.

• Moderators

The only thing though is when using the Cleaner button CCleaner won't show what those cleaners will remove if it's something in the registry like for example a MRU/Recent Files list, it will only show physical files on the hard disk that it will remove.

You could use Resource Hacker (freeware) to look inside of CCleaner.exe (just don't save CCleaner.exe with Resource Hacker as that will remove the CCleaner signature) by expanding the INI section where the cleaners are stored to see what they'll remove - screenshot example:

post-26-0-68458100-1319656415_thumb.png

Note that some cleaners don't reveal anything as some use internal code by Piriform which none of us regular forum members/volunteers know anything about.

• Moderators

There is a list (except as andavari said "specialkeys")

"c:\program files\ccleaner\cleaner.exe" /export

that said I don't see where the nk2 is cleaned

nk2 location is by default %appdata%\Microsoft\Outlook\

nowhere is that folder called by the default clean

In fact I went a step further and (on my office 2k7 machine) ran ccleaner as a clean with the exact default cleaning rules and after searched my computer for the nk2 file and it was still there, and still had the stored names. it also was not listed as to be removed upon computer restart.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com