Opening Folders Improvement

Willy2

Defraggler (DF) should - IMO - behave, in one regard, like CCleaner (CC).

When I hit ""Analyze"" in CC then CC builds/displays a list of files to be wiped. Then I can, by right clicking on a file in that list, open the folder in which that file is stored. When I do the same for a second file then CC checks whether that folder already has opened in Windows Explorer. When that folder already has been opened then that folder is made ""active"" by Windows Explorer. That folder is not opened again by CC\Windows Explorer for a second time.

But DF behaves differently: When I want to open, say 10 files, that are stored in the same folder, then DF opens, unlike CC, that folder 10 times, 10 separate new windows. So, DF does not check whether that folder already has been opened or not. It simply reopens that folder again.

I use the Defraggler (& Ccleaner) ""open folder"" feature a lot and therefore always end up with a lot of the same folders opened. It allows me to extract (especially) video files from the temporary internet files. DF opens those folders where as Windows Explorer doesn't.

I don't have RECUVA installed, so I can't tell whether it behaves, in this regard, like CC or DF. But if RECUVA behaves like DF then I think RECUVA could/should be improved as well.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• 1 month later...

Downloaded and installed DF v2.04. I still would appreciate it when a future version of DF would incorporate the feature/behaviour of CC I described in post #1 of this thread.

• 1 year later...

Still not implemented in v2.11

CORRECTION - THIS IS FIXED :rolleyes:

I am using 64 bit portable vaersions of both CC-324 and DF-211 Under Windows 7 Ultimate + SP1

When I ANALYZE with CC-324 and select

C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\Terminal-Services-RPC-Client.etl

Then OpenFile will open Windows Explorer at

C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI

and highlight the file

Terminal-Services-RPC-Client.etl

When I select

C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\Terminal-Services-Core.etl

Then OpenFile will open a second instance of Windows Explorer at

C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI

and highlight the file

Terminal-Services-Core.etl

I DO SUGGEST ONE ENHANCEMENT FOR DF-212 and onwards :-

Make it like CC-324 which not only opens a separate instance of Windows Explorer for each individual file,

but ALSO highlights the specific file that had been chosen.

You use the portable version. I don't. And in the non-portable version I use this feature hasn't been implemented. Seems the developers have overlooked other versions.

Yes, highlight the file, that has been chosen, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems the folks have taken my suggestion, made in post #1 of this thread, to heart. But they did something different. They changed the behaviour of opening folders in CC. When I want to open a second file (on my Win 7 64 bits laptop) in the same folder then CC (v3.25) opens that folder for a second time. When I open a file in the same folder CC opens that folder for a third time. And so on ................

So, when I open 10 files in the same folder then both CC and DF now open that folder 10 times.

So, it seems the behaviour of CC v3.25 copies the behaviour of Defraggler instead of (what I would have preferred) the other way around.

I still would prefer CC v3.25 and the latest DF to behave like a previous version of CC, as I have described in the first post of this thread. Perhaps the Piriform folks are willing to change this in the next CC & DF version ?

• 3 weeks later...