Mouse problem

ConsrvYank1

My mouse is acting a little sporatically so I thought I would buy a new one. I have bought 3 in the last week, and none work. It is a wired mouse, and there is nothing to download. I don't think it is the USB port since I am using a mouse that does work. I tried plugging them into another USB port and that doesn't work either. I have tried shutting down and reconnecting mouse, that doesn't work. I am 70 years old, and don't know much about computers, but I hate to think I will have to buy a new one when the present mouse stops working altogether. Any ideas that might be easy enough for me to try. Thanks.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum :)

Are you using XP?

If so have a read here to see if anything helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/personalize/mouse.mspx

What exactly is your mouse doing (or not doing?)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Welcome to the forum :)

Are you using XP?

If so have a read here to see if anything helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/personalize/mouse.mspx

What exactly is your mouse doing (or not doing?)

The three I bought aren't doing anything, they just won't work. The cursor won't move. Sometimes they don't even have a cursor on the screen. The one I am using is just acting a little sporatically, but it still works well. I guess you shouldn't try to fix that which isn't broken. I just didn't want to wait until it did happen before replacing it. I am using Vista on a HP desktop.It would be hard to believe that there is something wrong with all 3 mice, all different brands.One of the companies (Dynex) told mme to try a couple of things, which I did. They told me to try a dufferent USB port and also to try to restart the computer while the mouse is connected. Neither helped.They told me that I should just have to plug and play, and that there are no drivers that need to be installed. Thanks for the welcome.

Did you check if your mouse is working properly via Control Panel ➤ mouse ➤ hardware ➤ properties?

- - there are no drivers that need to be installed.

That's odd, my Vista shows an HID compliant mouse, MS Driver version 6 with an update function.

If you attempt to update the driver I suggest you first create a Restore Point in the event you need to back out of a messy situation. :)

Did you check if your mouse is working properly via Control Panel ➤ mouse ➤ hardware ➤ properties?

That's odd, my Vista shows an HID compliant mouse, MS Driver version 6 with an update function.

If you attempt to update the driver I suggest you first create a Restore Point in the event you need to back out of a messy situation. :)

I tried that with the mouse I am working with now, it said the device is working properly. Every mouse I have ever had, all I had to do was plug it in, nothing else. What I find puzzling is that my old one works, but 3 new ones do not. I really can't try a lot of stuff with the new ones because it doesn't work, and I don't have enough knowledge to try anything over my head. I had a friend on the phone walk me through things like using the keyboard and arrow keys, we came up with nothing helpful. I guess I will have to buy a new computer when the old mouse dies. :(

I guess I will have to buy a new computer when the old mouse dies. :(

NOT!

You don't need to throw the car away when it needs just a tune up. You probably have a minor issue, although on the surface it certainly is mind boggling.

I do hope you post the results when you get it fixed, for this puzzle's been occupying my thoughts for awhile. :)

PS: There's always System Restore and System Recovery.

NOT!

You don't need to throw the car away when it needs just a tune up. You probably have a minor issue, although on the surface it certainly is mind boggling.

I do hope you post the results when you get it fixed, for this puzzle's been occupying my thoughts for awhile. :)

PS: There's always System Restore and System Recovery.

Thank you for your encouragement. I have done a System Restore. I am not sure if I feel confident to do a System Recovery. But if it comes to that, I will probably give it a try, since at that point I will have nothing to lose. I will certainly post the results though.

• Moderators

Might be worth trying a mouse with a different type of connection.

There is a Serial mouse.

PS/2 mouse: connects to a PS/2 port.

USB mice

Cordless mouse: these usually use infra red to connect.

See here for pictures and info

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000448.htm

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Just out of curiosity what kind of mouse mat are you using is it black fabric or does it have a image on it??

Optical mice can jump about when the reflective path isn't consistent or strong enough, therefore test it on white paper.

Also if it's using a USB interface you might want to consider using a USB(in) to PS/2(out) adapter since the PS/2 interface is more reliable when the USB controller is under load.

Richard S.

On the assumption you have a USB keyboard,

what happens when you swap the keyboard and mouse over ?

i.e. Does the mouse work and the keyboard malfunction ?

Last year I had extreme trouble using the mouse to launch context menus and select actions.

My mouse behaved variably dependant upon which USB port it was in.

I tried two other mice which also varied with port.

Each port had different problems with different mice.

I think that evil XP seemed to identify each mouse and remember its history in each port,

and then do something a bit different to keep me running around in confused circles.

I used SysInternals AutoRuns and discovered Explorer had been "hijacked" with 10 hooks into DropBox.

Then I discovered that every time I switched on the P.C. a new dropbox log file was created,

with a time stamp showing it happened as BIOS completed and Windows started to load - long before logon.

I was especial disgusted that I had deselected the dropbox action to start up with Windows,

and it PRETENDED to obey because it refrained from showing its icon in the notification tray.

I purged dropbox from the system and regained control.

My experience suggested that XP distinguishes between different mice.

On Windows 7 Ultimate I find that if I move the mouse to a different port whilst powered down,

when I restart Windows I get a pop-up message that it is loading USB drivers,

and it may even tell me that it has to restart again for the installation to take effect.

Einstein is reputed to have said

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

This just proves that Einstein never experienced Windows ! ! !

Regards

Alan

• Moderators

I think that evil XP seemed to identify each mouse and remember its history in each port,

and then do something a bit different to keep me running around in confused circles.

USBDeview may help in those situations, however creating a restore point before having it delete a device is recommended.

This is a longshot, but possibly worth investigating. Go to the HP web site>support and drivers. Type in your HP desktop model number and see if HP has any USB keyboard/mouse updates for your computer. I know you're running Vista, but, I had this issue (twice) years ago with an HP desktop running XP. The first culprit was a Windows Update that would freeze a USB mouse if it was plugged in after the update was installed. The second time, it was XP's SP2. In both cases, HP did have a fix. HP also has consumer forums -- a wealth of knowledge just like the Piriform forums.

Good luck!

Just out of curiosity what kind of mouse mat are you using is it black fabric or does it have a image on it??

Optical mice can jump about when the reflective path isn't consistent or strong enough, therefore test it on white paper.

Also if it's using a USB interface you might want to consider using a USB(in) to PS/2(out) adapter since the PS/2 interface is more reliable when the USB controller is under load.

Richard S.

It is plain black fabric with no image.

On the assumption you have a USB keyboard,

what happens when you swap the keyboard and mouse over ?

i.e. Does the mouse work and the keyboard malfunction ?

Last year I had extreme trouble using the mouse to launch context menus and select actions.

My mouse behaved variably dependant upon which USB port it was in.

I tried two other mice which also varied with port.

Each port had different problems with different mice.

I used SysInternals AutoRuns and discovered Explorer had been "hijacked" with 10 hooks into DropBox.

Then I discovered that every time I switched on the P.C. a new dropbox log file was created,

with a time stamp showing it happened as BIOS completed and Windows started to load - long before logon.

I was especial disgusted that I had deselected the dropbox action to start up with Windows,

and it PRETENDED to obey because it refrained from showing its icon in the notification tray.

I purged dropbox from the system and regained control.

My experience suggested that XP distinguishes between different mice.

On Windows 7 Ultimate I find that if I move the mouse to a different port whilst powered down,

when I restart Windows I get a pop-up message that it is loading USB drivers,

and it may even tell me that it has to restart again for the installation to take effect.

Einstein is reputed to have said

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

This just proves that Einstein never experienced Windows ! ! !

Regards

Alan

When I swapped the keyboard and the mouse (using my old reliable mouse)the mouse no longer worked. To be honest after I saw that, I didn't even bother to check the keyboard, because at that point it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Plain black doesn't go well with an optical mouse since black doesn't reflect much light.

Try moving your move on a sheet of white paper and see if jumps about still.

Richard S.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Same here. Cleaned 2 cp and mouse and touch pad dont work anymore.

This thread here had nothing to do with ccleaner being used.

You have already a thread going about this just continue there please :)

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=32325

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

i have an ps2 mouse

"primax fujitsu siemens" S/N 040231591 with mouse wheel, but the wheel dont work. i cant also find driver for xp...

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"