Your Location

hazelnut

• Moderators

Just in case anyone wants to know how to turn off geolocation in their browser (it tells websites where you are) this will help

http://www.brighthub.com/internet/security-privacy/articles/107985.aspx

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Nice one hazel.

I wonder if there's a side effect to disabling this, the way disabling "referrer information" can stop some sites working as they should? I'll no doubt find out.

Advertisers usually have some way of prising the information they want out of folk. ;)

I live so far out that microsoft patch tuesday doesn't get here 'till friday. Don't guess it matters. :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Just a quick question that someone might be able to clarify for me !

I`m running I.E.8,, on the link to find out if your running your browser with geolocation

http://benwerd.com/lab/geo.php

The answer it gave me said my browser was not,But ! when i use google on the screen at the left hand side it has my location and town name...is this info taken form my isp provider ??

Fluff

Yeah Thats what I mean Hazelnut..when i search for anything using google up pops my town`s name on the left handside..there is a link to change your location,but it says "auto detected"

I found this on google....

Automatically detected location

To provide you with the most relevant results, Google attempts to automatically detect your location and customize results based on that detected location. A location that's labeled "Auto-detected" is chosen based on the following factors:

?Your IP address .

?Google Toolbar's My Location feature. If you have Google Toolbar installed and have the My Location feature enabled, your approximate location (if detected) will be used to customize your search results. If you don't want Toolbar to attempt to determine your approximate location, you can turn off My Location

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about because even if geolocation was disabled servers can still find your location.

With the exception of proxy servers your IP address would always be exposed during any form of network communication.

Your IP belongs to a netblock which is owned by your ISP a simple lookup or database check is all they need to pwn you.

Richard S.

• Moderators

Your IP belongs to a netblock which is owned by your ISP a simple lookup or database check is all they need to pwn you.

True, however with mine the sites think I'm about one hundred miles away from my actual location. Close but no cigar!:lol:

I use Gmail.

I do not remember giving them my home address,

but obviously each time I log into my account they know my current IP address ,

hence Google can track me and link me to my chunk of their database.