AVI files

Mudd

Since restoring my PC all is well except for AVI's will not open with a double click. Won't open with Media Player even with right click and "open with." I can view them with Irfan Viewer if I select that as "Open with." The Properties of an AVI shows it opens with Windows Media Player.

Power Point and all else open just fine with a double click.

Would someone put me on the right track to fix this?

Vista Home Ser Pack 2. I seem to forget to indicate what Version of Windows I have.

Edited by Mudd

Mudd

Two video players (free) are often recommended on here, they will play most everything you throw at them. Not sure about your avi files, but most everything.

I would make a restore point and a registry backup before installing either or both, but thats just me, the installation makes a lot of changes.

VLC media player is HERE

MPUI, a frontend for MPlayer, is HERE

Other members may have better suggestions. Good luck.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Two video players (free) are often recommended on here, they will play most everything you throw at them. Not sure about your avi files, but most everything.

I would make a restore point and a registry backup before installing either or both, but thats just me, the installation makes a lot of changes.

VLC media player is HERE

MPUI, a frontend for MPlayer, is HERE

Other members may have better suggestions. Good luck.

I'm aware that there are other Players, didn't know what they were, so thanks for that information. It's just the "not working" that bugs me. Before I reformatted this rascal maybe things wouldn't work. Windows Media Player did! I'm used to that and would like to have it back.

A double click will open anything I have, like games, puzzles, etc., but only Windows Media Player fails. May try to update to a later version to see if that will help.

System Restore helps me a lot. Thanks for the suggestion. As feeble minded as I am, may forget tha.

Mudd

You could try to uninstall & reinstall win media player. Would be interested to hear what works for you.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

You could try to uninstall & reinstall win media player. Would be interested to hear what works for you.

Going to try tonight or tomorrow. Will let you know how it comes out.

Mudd

Going to try tonight or tomorrow. Will let you know how it comes out.

Don't see how I can uninstall Media Player. Not on the program to uninstall on Control Panel. I also have Revo Uninstaller and CCleaner's uninstall section and it's not on any.

So I can forget that I suppose.

Mudd

If the AVI was encoded with Xvid or DivX it's probably just a missing codec. If you don't want to mess with codec packs VLC Media Player is a good choice, if you prefer to not install it having it take over some of the things Windows Media Player does there's also VLC Media Player Portable.

Thank you. I'll try to Codec first. Probably won't do any good as I'm not familiar with that. Then if my PC is still working I'll go with another player you and login123 mentioned. Thanks again for the reply.

Mudd

....there's also VLC Media Player Portable.

Thats a good idea. :)

Hey Mudd...On windows XP you can uninstall windows media player using control panel --> Add or Remove Programs --> then in a panel on the left there is an option to "Add/Remove Windows Components" which gives a list inclucing Windows Media Player. Never used Vista...??

Thats a good idea. :)

Hey Mudd...On windows XP you can uninstall windows media player using control panel --> Add or Remove Programs --> then in a panel on the left there is an option to "Add/Remove Windows Components" which gives a list inclucing Windows Media Player. Never used Vista...??

There's something called, "Turn Windows features on and off" but Media Player is not included in that.

Thanks

Mudd

• Moderators

You cannot uninstall WMP from Vista as it is part of the operating system. All you can do is turn the features off but that does not uninstall it from your pc.

Probably Mudd your best bet is to check in WMP under tools/options/files types that avi files have the little black dot in the choice circle.

Another option may be to re-associate your avi files as seen here

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/File-association-fixes-for-Windows-Vista.html

Failing those, then VLC player may be your best bet.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

You cannot uninstall WMP from Vista as it is part of the operating system. All you can do is turn the features off but that does not uninstall it from your pc.

Probably Mudd your best bet is to check in WMP under tools/options/files types that avi files have the little black dot in the choice circle.

Another option may be to re-associate your avi files as seen here

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/File-association-fixes-for-Windows-Vista.html

Failing those, then VLC player may be your best bet.

WMP tools/options/ and no file types shown! Did go to the help online page, set association and it did change a little. Prior to this, nothing happened when I double click an AVI file, only the file icon highlighted. Now when I double click an icon, it takes me to the page asking what program I want to open the file with. Windows Media Player is listed there but when I choose it, nothing happens, won't open.

I'm attaching a shot of the WMP/tool/options/--- to show you what I'm talking about. I have a hard time anymore to explain just what I mean. Think it called DOB!

Thank you for your help.

Just thought I was sending a shot of the window. Didn't save it. Probably wouldn't help anyway.

Edited by Mudd

Mudd

Okay Mudd, I cannot see any file that you have attached. Also did you see the file types in WMP as I showed?

What version of WMP do you have? 10, 11?

Don't panic :)

Yes Ma'am, I saw the window and it does not appear as mine does. I'm trying again to send a copy of it. Version is 11.0.5002.18311.

Mudd

• Moderators

Forgot about it being different in Vista Mudd, my apologies

does this help?

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-do-i-change-file-extension-associations-in-windows-vista/6172036

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Forgot about it being different in Vista Mudd, my apologies

does this help?

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-do-i-change-file-extension-associations-in-windows-vista/6172036

Went to the URL and checked as directed. My association for WMP is correct for AVI files. So something must be wrong with the WMP itself rather than the associations. And you said that WMP cannot be uninstalled.

Maybe I'll try Microsoft. Hope they still offer support on Vista. They are such a hassle to work with but usually they work problems out.

Earlier I mentioned that I had did a Factory Reinstall from a Partition on this PC. Prior to that WMP worked. Maybe during the reinstall something slipped. I'm not going to do that again. It take to much time for the Windows Updates. 111 to start with, then Service Pack 1 bring about 50 or so more. Service Pack 2 does the same. Only take about 15 minutes to restore but much time for the rest. I do have a good broadband download of 7-9 GB, still it's to much trouble just for one program.

Thank you and all the others for the helpful hints and suggestions. Sure a great bunch on this Forum.

Appreciate y'all!

Mudd

• Moderators

mudd, try to associate AVI files with Quicktime. then re-associate them with WMP

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Will try that now. Will reply with the result.

Associated AVI with QuickTime, Windows Media Center,and back to Media Player for each one. No change. As I mentioned to earlier, clicking an AVI file gives nothing. Right click and can open in Irfan Viewer which is fine. Just rather have it work like it is supposed to.

Thank you.

Mudd