stuck on IE9 history

rhino

hi guys,

this is happening for the second time, CCleaner gets stuck while attempting to clean IE9 history. Last time was a few builds ago and it was taking ages to complete, this time it's worse, there's the spinning animation indefinitely there with no hard disk activity whatsoever, must close CCleaner from the "x" button. If I click cancel CCleaner crashes and freezes.

This added to the issue with Chrome (no cleaning by CC if cookies set to be deleted at Chrome closing time)... I guess we need a new build. Thanks ;)

okay I attempted a re-install, same result. Tried to use the 32 bit executable, same problem. I'll just have to exclude IE history from CC from now on.

ps: I'm runing IE9RC on W7/64

edit: forgot to mention, if I attempt to create a dump file while CC is freezing I get an access denied message.

Please, let us know which Secure Deletion option you are using.

I use normal deletion, no secure one. On a side note, just saw in another section of your forum that a user was having a similar issue on IE9. So I wanted to mention that a few other users reported on another forum where I post that this happened to them on IE8 as well some times ago (end 2010). What I don't get is why, like the first time, it suddenly happens, without any CC update, and without any IE update... I updated to IE9 RC a few days before getting the issue.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to reproduce this problem.

Can you please try leaving only History checked to see if works?

Let us know.

Thank you so much for your help!

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to reproduce this problem.

Can you please try leaving only History checked to see if works?

Let us know.

Thank you so much for your help!

okay I got it,first no if I leave just history checked that doesn't change anything, but I found the culprit: it's the new "tracking protection" system when enabled, then the issue occurs in CC. As soon as you turn it off, CC cleans IE9 history normally.

ps: thing is that as mentioned some similar issue happened already a while ago, in IE9 beta, when the tracking protection didn't exist yet. Must have been the "in private filtering" at the time I suppose, explaining how it could happen with IE8 too for others.

Thank you, We'll look into this.

Let us know if you find anything else.

yeah that's funny, and this explains why during a few days with IE9RC there was no problem; I just turned tracking protection back on and CC can still clean IE history normally, meaning that to solve the issue you just have to switch that off and back on in IE9.

... and now that I re-enabled other cleaning parameters for IE9, history cleaning freezes again. Gets solved again after disabling tracking protection. This must be linked to the cleaning of something else, index.dat may be...and only when tracking protection is running.

Please, let us know an URL that you are visiting before cleaning.

Also, do you have all rules under Internet Explorer checked?

Do you have IE running when cleaning?

Please, let us know an URL that you are visiting before cleaning.

Also, do you have all rules under Internet Explorer checked?

Do you have IE running when cleaning?

- only URL I visit before testing the cleaning ability in CC is my homepage ... www.google.com :)))

- I got all rules checked except "passwords"

- no I don't have IE9 running when cleaning (but I've noticed in the past that, at the contrary of FF and Chrome, it was possible to clean IE with CC while IE was running).

Also, I just checked history again and cc gets stuck while cleaning as I described. There's no instance of IE that appears to be running in task manager.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I am having the same issue. CCleaner gets stuck when it comes to clean IE History. I am finding that it only occurs when I have Malwarebytes active. If I switch off Malwarebytes and restart my computer then it works fine. Was there are solution found for this issue? I am not that computer savy, any suggestions much appreciated.

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators

As this thread is from 2011 (apart from one post in 2014) I doubt that you are seeing the same problem.

Start a new thread giving more details of the problem you are having. Say what OS you are using which browser and version, and just what the problem is.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043