Boot defrag, or boot defrag, or boot defrag?

Augeas

• Moderators

I suppose I should state that I don't have Defraggler - or any proprietary defragger - installed and I have never defragged my current XP build. I'm just curious and maybe should be doing something more productive.

Now I do have the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction set to the default of Y. According to whatever web page you are reading at the time, this defrags the boot files at startup.

Next, I also have the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher set to the default of 3. This, amongst other things, tells the prefetcher to periodically build a list of boot files and pass this to the defragger for defragging.

What I don't have is Defraggler's boot file defrag capability. But maybe two boot defrags are enough.

So I have a boot file defrag at every boot, and a prefetch-initiated boot file defrag every three days. If this is so, why is there so much excitement about Defraggler's boot file defrag? What does it do that the two default defrags don't do? And are the defrags cumulative, so that many, if not most users, have three boot file defrags?

What XP defrags at boot time (every 3 days, I think) are some system files and maybe the files on layout.ini. What Defraggler does is defrag system-locked files (such as pagefile.sys, registry hives). These files are not defragged by XP using its default settings.