Possible IE6.0 Bug?

BWolf

:unsure: I use Internet Explorer 6.0 w/service pack 2 on my PC. Just over the last week or so when I browse the web and I have a web page up with links on the web page, if that link on that web page directs you to a site away from the original web address, the page opens in a new window and freezes. I have to click on the stop button and click refresh and the page shows up. That happens in all cases like that. If the link on that page directs you to a page within that web address, it is ok.

In other words for example: I can navigate with the site just fine, but if I go to the link page and click on another site, a new window opens and wont display the page until I click on stop and refresh it, then it will appear?????

Any ideas would help.

I have run scan disk, defrag and checked all the options in the tools of IE 6.0 and all seems to be ok!

Confussed.....

BWolf

• Moderators

It could be many things, however those that come to mind are:

1. Spyware infection. Under most circumstances IE really shouldn't lock up, however if there's a spyware infection that messes with IE it can become very unstable -- the same goes for other web browsers that spyware can infect as well.

2. Some toolbar, or BHO that's making IE unstable. You can see and even disable BHO's that are installed in IE by using:

Internet Options->Programs->Manage Add-ons

3. You many need to run IE's maintenance tools: Delete Cookies, Delete Files, and Clear History. Then run CCleaner so that it can mark the index.dat files for deletion on the next system restart.

---

You can download a third-party freeware browser that isn't easily infected by spyware such as Opera, Mozilla Firefox, or Mozilla Suite.