defraggler increases fragmentation

Brian61

Defraggler, when performing a drive defrag, will move unfragmented files to the end of the drive and store them in a fragmented fashion. This happens even with drives that are not the system partition, have plenty of free space (>30%) and no files being modified/opened except by defraggler. With plenty of free disk space, why would defraggler ever move a unfragmented file (except to fill in/compact free spaces) and, if it decides to move it, why would it fragment the file when moving it? Shouldn't the number of fragmented files on a drive always go down and never increase? I have noticed problem this in every version of defraggler (1.12 thru 2.01) and on many PCs (running XP, 2003, 2008, 7) so I'm pretty sure it has to be the program and not my hardware/drives/OS/disk format.

Brian

So is there fragmentation after the defrag? If so that may be due to system locked files. If you're referring to the behaviour of when Defraggler is defragging then it is probably doing it to defrag free space as well as file defragmentation. Obviously to move files about you need to lay them aside and then slot them back in as it were so that is why it probably moves files to the end of the drive unless you selected the "move large files to the end of the drive" option.

How did you find out about this in the first place? Did you do a whole drive defrag, cancel it, and then re-analyze the drive? I think they fragment the files because they sort of expect you to finish the defragmentation process and to keep the free space in one chunk. It's probably standard defragging behaviour, at least the same thing happened when I used to use PerfectDisk.

As I said, this is a non-system drive being defragmented - there are no locked, system, opened files on it. No files are changing during the defrag except defraggler. I start with a defragged drive (ie 0% fragmentation) but it has lots of free space all over the drive. I would expect defraggler to compact the free spaces into fewer blocks and it appears that it does this - like every other defrag utility does. To compact free spaces, it has to move files from the end of the drive into the free spaces up front. For some reason, at some point, it starts moving files to the end of the drive. I'm fine with that except when it moves them to the end they are now fragmented. There is no reason for defraggler to do this - it can move the files to the end and keep them in one fragment. This is the most obvious problem I have. There are other times when the drive was fragmented, it doesn't move files to the end but still ends up with fragmented files after doing a complete defrag on the drive. I would think that any file moved would be in the same or fewer fragments otherwise why move it and make it worse? It should not assume that eventually (it may take several days) the drive will be defragged if you let it run to completion. If that's the case then it's a bad assumption on their part

Brian

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem but I fixed mine by going to actions in the top left corner in piriform defraggler and selected advanced and then clicked "Check Drive for Errors" and after it was done checking, I clicked analyze in the bottom left corner

---------------

hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how checking the drive for errors fixes the problem of file fragmentation. My drives have no errors. I would assume that if defraggler detects a drive error it would stop defragging immediately. Usually a basic 'chkdsk' is done while analyzing a drive before defragging is done.

My problem here is that defraggler fragments previously unfragmented files in the process of defragmenting a drive or defragging free space. This still happens with v2.04. These are not system drives - very little dynamic file changes are going on. I can't bee the only person that this happens to. This happens on all PCs I have used defraggler with. It's not any specific PC or OS.

Brian