Should I have a second browser?

Picablu

• Moderators

Sometimes for one reason or another, something won't download using a certain browser and you are stuck then if you only have the one.

There are a few others you could use such as Firefox, Opera or Chrome. All good browsers.

You could try them out as portable versions first then if you don't like them, well, they weren't really installed were they :)

Is there a reason why you are not using IE8?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Just another thought for you to consider, Picablu. The three browsers you mention (Firefox, Opera, and Chrome) are all available in portable versions. Here's one source http://portableapps.com/apps Just scroll down to the "Internet" section.

So, if you wanted to test each of them out without fully installing their non-portable versions on your system, you could use these portable ones for a while to determine which one(s) is your favorite. I use portable Firefox fairly often. (I think, for the most part, the portable versions of these browsers are as functional as their non-portable counterparts...at least enough so that you'll be able to give them a test drive to see how you like them.)

(Edit: Apologies to Hazelnut. I need to be more careful to thoroughly read other responses before posting mine. I see you have already suggested the portable versions of these programs. Well, at least I'm in very good company with that idea.)

• Moderators

Just to note Opera 11 is portable out of the box

If rarely use my second browser (mostly when website coding) and use portable version of everything except ie and safari

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Sometimes for one reason or another, something won't download using a certain browser and you are stuck then if you only have the one.

There are a few others you could use such as Firefox, Opera or Chrome. All good browsers.

You could try them out as portable versions first then if you don't like them, well, they weren't really installed were they :)

I'm not using IE8 because I don't know how to change. Also, what if I don't like it? Can I change back? Will I lose my "Favorites" list (that would be devastating!)

IE 8 is extremely similar to IE 7, from a user's point of view - apart from the speed increase, obviously. If you are using XP, here's the download link: http://www.filehippo.com/download_internet_explorer_xp/

You shouldn't lose your "Favorites" list (unless there's some sort of serious bug)

Piriform French translator

Just another thought for you to consider, Picablu. The three browsers you mention (Firefox, Opera, and Chrome) are all available in portable versions. Here's one source http://portableapps.com/apps Just scroll down to the "Internet" section.

So, if you wanted to test each of them out without fully installing their non-portable versions on your system, you could use these portable ones for a while to determine which one(s) is your favorite. I use portable Firefox fairly often. (I think, for the most part, the portable versions of these browsers are as functional as their non-portable counterparts...at least enough so that you'll be able to give them a test drive to see how you like them.)

(Edit: Apologies to Hazelnut. I need to be more careful to thoroughly read other responses before posting mine. I see you have already suggested the portable versions of these programs. Well, at least I'm in very good company with that idea.)

Will try portable version as suggested. Thank you for link. You mention using portable Firefox fairly often. Is this something you download to your computer and save?

IE 8 is extremely similar to IE 7, from a user's point of view - apart from the speed increase, obviously. If you are using XP, here's the download link: http://www.filehippo.com/download_internet_explorer_xp/

You shouldn't lose your "Favorites" list (unless there's some sort of serious bug)

Thank you for your response. I have Vista. Do I need a different link?

Yes (IE8 for Vista has enhanced security features that XP does not allow).

Check whether you have a 64-bit version (hit Windows key + Pause/Break key).

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx << Select "Vista" or "Vista 64-bit", and run the setup. :)

Piriform French translator

Will try portable version as suggested. Thank you for link. You mention using portable Firefox fairly often. Is this something you download to your computer and save?

I clicked the download link from PortableApps.com shown below with the arrow and saved the resulting files (there are about five of them) to my external back up drive that I always have connected to my system. That's where I keep all my portable apps. But, you can certainly choose to save these files to your main computer (example, onto your desktop) if you prefer. Perhaps you may want to make a folder on your desktop that is titled "Test Browsers" and save the portable Firefox files (and or portable Opera or Chrome files) there. All that matters is that you keep track of where you downloaded and saved the files.

post-23766-0-86390700-1294413684_thumb.png

Then, when you want to run portable Firefox, just click on the file that says "FirefoxPortable.exe"

Unless I'm forgetting something, it's pretty much that simple. As Hazelnut mentioned in an earlier post, the beauty of using portable apps such as this is that should you decide you don't like Firefox (or Opera or Chrome), all you have to do is just delete the files that you downloaded (ie, the files that you put in your "Test Browsers" folder). You don't have to use "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel because no program was actually installed onto your system.

I'm not using IE8 because I don't know how to change. Also, what if I don't like it? Can I change back? Will I lose my "Favorites" list (that would be devastating!)

Just one note on favorites, or any file, do you have an offsite or off computer backup?

In 2004 I lost my HD, and everything.....bummer. After that I actually manually copied all my favorites to disc, kind of time consuming, needs updates, etc.

NOW I just went to an offsite backup, Carbonite for EVERYTHING for about $5/month, love it! Just FYI:

Carbonite online backup saves time and money, provides extra protection for your files, and makes getting your files back fast and easy.

No media or expensive equipment to buy. And no shuffling through stacks of CDs or DVDs.

No need to remember to back up. Carbonite does it automatically and continually, in the background.

Secure transmission. Carbonite uses the same encryption technology used in online banking and e-commerce transactions.

Safe offsite storage. Your backed up files are stored in our highly secure data centers ? protected from theft, fire, spills and other home and office disasters.

Fast, simple file recovery. If anything happens to any file, Carbonite finds it automatically in your backup and puts it back on your computer ? right where it used to be ? in a few simple steps.

I love sports, premium cigars, among other things....GO BROWNS, INDIANS (yeah I'm a die hard), BUCKEYES, YSU, NAVY.....and ND.

Got brave and installed IE8. Didn't lose my extensive "Favorites" list. :P Now will check out portable browsers.

• Moderators

Got brave and installed IE8. Didn't lose my extensive "Favorites" list. :P Now will check out portable browsers.

Glad you managed that okay :)

Let us know how you get on with the portables

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Yes (IE8 for Vista has enhanced security features that XP does not allow).

Check whether you have a 64-bit version (hit Windows key + Pause/Break key).

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx << Select "Vista" or "Vista 64-bit", and run the setup. :)

Thank you for your time. I now have IE8, and did not lose my "Favorites" list in the process. Also succeeded in downloading portable version of Firefox, and am using it right now. :P

I clicked the download link from PortableApps.com shown below with the arrow and saved the resulting files (there are about five of them) to my external back up drive that I always have connected to my system. That's where I keep all my portable apps. But, you can certainly choose to save these files to your main computer (example, onto your desktop) if you prefer. Perhaps you may want to make a folder on your desktop that is titled "Test Browsers" and save the portable Firefox files (and or portable Opera or Chrome files) there. All that matters is that you keep track of where you downloaded and saved the files.

post-23766-0-86390700-1294413684_thumb.png

Then, when you want to run portable Firefox, just click on the file that says "FirefoxPortable.exe"

Unless I'm forgetting something, it's pretty much that simple. As Hazelnut mentioned in an earlier post, the beauty of using portable apps such as this is that should you decide you don't like Firefox (or Opera or Chrome), all you have to do is just delete the files that you downloaded (ie, the files that you put in your "Test Browsers" folder). You don't have to use "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel because no program was actually installed onto your system.

I did it! I'm using Firefox portable right now! Thank you! :P

Just one note on favorites, or any file, do you have an offsite or off computer backup?

In 2004 I lost my HD, and everything.....bummer. After that I actually manually copied all my favorites to disc, kind of time consuming, needs updates, etc.

NOW I just went to an offsite backup, Carbonite for EVERYTHING for about $5/month, love it! Just FYI:

Carbonite online backup saves time and money, provides extra protection for your files, and makes getting your files back fast and easy.

No media or expensive equipment to buy. And no shuffling through stacks of CDs or DVDs.

No need to remember to back up. Carbonite does it automatically and continually, in the background.

Secure transmission. Carbonite uses the same encryption technology used in online banking and e-commerce transactions.

Safe offsite storage. Your backed up files are stored in our highly secure data centers ? protected from theft, fire, spills and other home and office disasters.

Fast, simple file recovery. If anything happens to any file, Carbonite finds it automatically in your backup and puts it back on your computer ? right where it used to be ? in a few simple steps.

Thank you for caring. Yes, I do have backup. I use Macrium Reflect and an external HD on a regular basis. Carbonite sounds like a fine alternative to imaging, especially since it's done continually, in the background. :)

• Moderators

The good thing Picablu is that others who were too nervous to ask about these things will read this thread and try for themselves.

And it'll all be down to you being brave enough to ask about it in the first place :)

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Just FYI, I needed to download SKYPE for the IM to chat with a friend....and it also loaded Chrome, not a bad extra!

Really nice for all the GOOGLE stuff, simple layout, easy access to maps and I've barely used it.

I love sports, premium cigars, among other things....GO BROWNS, INDIANS (yeah I'm a die hard), BUCKEYES, YSU, NAVY.....and ND.