Macrium Relfect Verification failure

Tigerllc74

I posted about this before..but something even stranger is happening.

Before I get verify failure, I try again and it worked fine. If it fails again, I copy verified image from one external HD into another external HD..so far so good..

This time, two external HD images could not be verified on Compaq laptop. I tried several times..(watching games to kill time). It failed 4 times now on both external HD. I did chkdsk, still failed.

I even tried Easus ToDo backu as well. It too failed at verifying on Compaq.

Interestingly, no failures on Acer laptop on same external HD. So it can't be the HD ??

Is there problem with Compaq ?? It runs fine..no other problems. Both laptops are Vista, 2Gb ram, dual core, etc..

Any ides what's happening ?? Any solutions ??

Thanks,

Tiger

My bad.. I said, external HD I used for ACER verified with Compaq..I was wrong. It did not.

So, I used the external HD that backed image from ACER and verified fine on Compaq. It failed. So it can not be HD issue.

It must be Compaq laptop ?? What in verification process that would cause a failure that is unique to Compaq ??

Does anyone have access to Macrium forum as paid member ?? Can you ask them my question ??

Thanks,

Tiger

• Moderators

I remember you posting about this before some time back.

I'm not using a laptop, I'm using a Compaq desktop and have never had a verification failure with the Macrium Free Edition.

I have an Image of my System drive saved onto a separate internal Hard Drive, and I have a more recent Image of my entire drive (Active System Drive + Partition) saved onto a USB portable drive, which by spooky coincidence I've just restored the System part of that Image today.

That's about 7 or 8 times I've restored Macrium Images with no problems, and the Internal drive is about 6 year old, coming from my sons old desktop.

Are you verifying the Image on the same laptop it was made from?

Unless you do a lot of doctoring, Images are specific to the computer they were made on, and I've no idea if a verify would fail if it was being carried out on a computer other than the original from which it was made.

Regarding their forum, I've no idea. Give them a try.

http://support.macrium.com/

You could also try Wilders as they have a "backup, imaging & disk mgmt" section.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Hi Dennis:

I just found a solution to verify failure issue.

Yes, I used the same external HD for same laptop. I stayed very consistent and very careful in all my steps. I know it's unusual to experience so many verification failures where some have never experienced even one. I eliminated every possible things...

So, it got down to RAMs,,yes, RAMs.. I have (2) 1GB for 2GB total. I switched them between two laptops. Miracle !!! Images were verified perfectly. Even first laptop (got RAMs from laptop with failure) verified perfect. So I thought it was RAM problem, but then it worked on first laptop, so maybe it's not 100% RAM.

Anyway, I think failure has something todo with hardware going bad. Everything seems to work fine for now. I had these laptops for threes years and never a problem..no future promises !!!

I am happy for now.

Hope this was helpful to the members!!!

Tiger

• Moderators

What I'm wondering is what file system your hard disk is in, i.e.; NTFS or FAT32? If it's FAT32 and your backup is too big that could be a serious issue.

Then again with Macrium I always have the backup image split into 1GB pieces to facilitate no issues if burning to DVD.

NTFS, Like I said, I think it's a hardware issue !!! Read and write. Very Very Very minor !!!

I am very surprised that I am the only one with verify failure problem with so many old computers still in service.

Maybe I am the only one talking about it !!!