defraggler doesnt defrag %

Sampleshere

I have the latest version and started with 51% fragmentation. Ran full defrag and still at 51%. Looking at the file list selected all and defragged those still at 51%. Now the page file is one of them and I can removed the pagefile and run again but whats the use if to defrag I have to delete files?

Any help out there?

winxp pro SP2

1GB

P4

2GHZ

100 GB hdd

I agree, the latest version doesn't seem to work properly. I downloaded the latest update today but it still doesn't defrag properly. I started at 24% and finished at 24% I even tried a run time defrag which made no difference. A great shame as version1 was brilliant

Runinng Windows 7 on a Toshiba Laptop

Due to the absence of screen shots and more details I can now offer only general information.

I have v2.01.239 on a Vista SP2. I just now defragged only the files. Pre defrag was 8%, post defrag 8%. The count is at 8% because I have only two System Restore Points and they are fragged -- the blocks are all red. If I had more points my frag count would be much higher.

If you delete all System Restore Points using Windows System Restore, or all points except the most recent using CCleaner, you should see a substantial drop in fragmentation count. System Volume Information / Shadow Copies are protected system files, not defragged by Defraggler or Win Disk Defragger. (Windows Disk Defragger doesn't even include them in the count.)

Edited.

Probably from the System Volume Information folder which houses restore points. However, in XP I'm pretty sure you can defrag them with Defraggler. Open Defraggler and click the analyze button then go to the file list tab look at what files are fragmented and post a screenshot/report what files are fragmented. By the way how much free space do you have on your drive?

If your pagefile is fragmented you can use Defraggler's offline defrag option to deafragment it at boot-time.

So what you are saying then is that the developers of Defraggler have actually changed the way it works because in version 1 I never had this level of fragmentation when it had finished.

How will a screenshot help? it will only show what I have written unless there is something specific that you require

How will a screenshot help? it will only show what I have written unless there is something specific that you require

A picture is worth 1000 words.

How to make a Screen Shot

? Press prt scrn key

? Open Microsoft Paint: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint

? On the Menu bar click Edit > Paste

Crop the image

? Click Image > Crop (Click and drag the pointer to crop.) Click Image > Crop

? Click File > Save as Jpeg

? Save to the Desktop

In the Forum

? Reply > Browse > Desktop, find the screen shot, Attach This File

I am fully aware if producing a screenshot being an IT Manager. My question was what is the relevance of it. It will only support what I have already said.

Your method of producing a screen shot is horrendously complex and it is far simpler than this! :D

Anyway, as requested, screenshots

A picture is worth 1000 words.

How to make a Screen Shot

? Press PrtSc key

? Open Microsoft Paint: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint

? On the Menu bar click Edit > Paste

Crop the image

? Click Image > Crop (Click and drag the pointer to crop.) Click Image > Crop

? Click File > Save as Jpeg

? Save to the Desktop

In the Forum

? Reply > Browse > Desktop, find the screen shot, Attach This File

post-41878-052694700 1293735625_thumb.png

post-41878-086475500 1293735640_thumb.png

I am fully aware if producing a screenshot being an IT Manager. My question was what is the relevance of it. It will only support what I have already said.

Your method of producing a screen shot is horrendously complex and it is far simpler than this! :D

Anyway, as requested, screenshots

I am sorry you consider my instructions horrendously complex. I made them as concise as possible to guide everyone.

If you can provide simpler instructions for the members and visitors, please post them.

What the members need to comment on is a shot which includes your block chart, such as mine.

th_bc73503d.jpg

• Moderators

@alanb are you complaining that your drive still has 15% fragmentation and 5 fragmented files(as per screenshot)?

as ms. kroozer stated that's just your sysrestore, page files and other unmovables (especially given the size of the 5 files as compared to the inital 24% fragmented that was only 1.x GB bigger than just the 5) and 15% does not warrant a worry (nor honestly does the 24% your originally mentioned)

as for the 51% the O.P. mentions that is much more worrying.

Honestly I don't manually defrag (windows or Defraggler) except for the occasional file defrag. so I can't really chime in to the aid of the O.P. but in Alanb's case I think it's a molehill what looks to be a mountain.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I think I need to perhaps expain this more fully.

Prior to Version 2, Defraggler would always defrag the drive to within 1%.

Since using Version 2, It doesn't defrag anywhere near as efficiently and very rarely makes nay impact on it. In fact, sometimes it finishes up more fragmented than it started.

However, I think I have now discovered my own resolution to this.

If you go into the options and set it so that large files are moved to the end of the drive and then defrag, it finishes up with 0%. The removing the option and defraging again resolves the issue.

|Fore what it's worth, Windows 7 and Vista have a tool called snipping which is far easier to use for screen shots. I appreciate XP doesn't have it and perhaps that is why you gave the instructions you did. Personally, I like Pickpick for this job.

|Fore what it's worth, Windows 7 and Vista have a tool called snipping which is far easier to use for screen shots. I appreciate XP doesn't have it and perhaps that is why you gave the instructions you did. Personally, I like Pickpick for this job.

Snippet Tool is not included with my Vista Basic.

http://en.softonic.com/windows/screen-capture:free currently has 56 screen capture freebies for those who need something heavier than Paint.

Think we are getting off topic here.

As I say, it resolves it if you move the large files to the end first and then resort back to a standard defrag.

I don't think this has anything to do with System Restore points at all and that would still not explain why version 1 didn't do it. Best I leave this topic alone now as I think it is likely to get out of control