Add an "OK" button....?

cazboy

Hi, new here to this board but certainly not new to CCleaner. I don't know if this is a suggestion or just an observation. It's always struck me as just a little bit odd that the changes in my CCleaner are set to take effect just by ticking the appropriate boxes and then closing out of the CCleaner application. I guess I'm used to making my changes and then clicking an "OK" button.

• Moderators

:blink: not sure I understand the question so I guess it is an observation.

yes, when you tick a mark it writes to the registry (on ini file if you've ticked that mark).

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

:blink: not sure I understand the question so I guess it is an observation.

yes, when you tick a mark it writes to the registry (on ini file if you've ticked that mark).

Hello Nergal, yes I suppose it was an observation. It's such a trivial thing it probably doesn't warrant suggestion status! :D

It wouldn't hurt to have an OK/Cancel button. I don't have any use for it but it might help a novice user. If you make some changes then subsequently change your mind but can't remember what you did, you could then just click Cancel and be back where you started. Once you get used to CCleaner it's very simple to remember what's what, but for newbies it could be helpful. The OK/Cancel button is pretty much standard on everything.

The initial assumption is wrong. Check/uncheck takes IMMEDIATE effect.

I use the portable version of CC and observe that CCleaner.ini is updated when I alter a checkbox.

I do NOT want any delay.

If I decide that an improvement could be made by altering a checkbox,

then I want to analyze without the changes, then make the changes, then analyze again and see the consequences.

It would be mildly inconvenient if the changes only came into effect after using the O.K. button,

but a nightmare if I had to close and restart CC to put the changes into effect.

Altering the configuration and then closing down, and probably not running again till tomorrow, is not how I like to adjust things.

I like the idea of a CANCEL button so that one can "go crazy" on lots of checkboxes,

and if you do not like the analyze results a single click on CANCEL would put everything back.

I however would not normally need that, because I always start CC with a fresh copy of a master CC*.ini,

and after using CC the fresh and now modified CC*.ini can be discarded,

unless of course I use it to over-write the current master CC*.ini

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

CCleaner did that to me too.

It is confusing the first time you run it.

But I love the way CCleaner is now.

Having the OK box would be a pain after getting used to it.

If this is added, perhaps just add it as an option for newbies to activate, but let advanced users opt out.

Thanks!

Hi, new here to this board but certainly not new to CCleaner. I don't know if this is a suggestion or just an observation. It's always struck me as just a little bit odd that the changes in my CCleaner are set to take effect just by ticking the appropriate boxes and then closing out of the CCleaner application. I guess I'm used to making my changes and then clicking an "OK" button.

You change the checked state of a checkbox and it up dates it self to be checked or not and you think this is strange............. No it is not really. It's logical

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

I'd think adding in the extra code to support an OK/Apply button would add heft, and waste users time, since just ticking/unticking the box which has always been the way of changing the various settings has always been immediate.

The only areas that have confirmations are those which can be destructive.