Hosts File Update

Icedrake

• Moderators

I think it's usually just routine removal of dead malware sites and addition of newly made ones from that 1.5-2 month period

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

by my calcs they removed 329 sites from the HOSTS file with the latest update.

good to see they must be very proactive on adding new sites and either removing dead ones or removing them based on reclassification.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

by my calcs they removed 329 sites from the HOSTS file with the latest update.

good to see they must be very proactive on adding new sites and either removing dead ones or removing them based on reclassification.

I think they may have a number of hands in main DNS servers of some sort or are sniffing lots of traffic. They made it to the end of the internet often

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Thanks.

I checked on Monday thinking they should have done one by now.

• Moderators

MVPS doesn't release them weekly, not even monthly (at least not regularly) from what I've seen and admittedly I've only been using it for about 6 months.

I just manually check in every few weeks or more often than not, use this thread to notify m.

Does some of you use/merge multiple hosts like mvps + hpHosts? I tried that combo, but it jams my PC/network because I'm using DNS service. I've already tried the tweaks mentioned at MVPS website.

Edit. found this http://hosts-file.ne...S-Optimized.zip which is smaller/optimized version of hpHosts, but I can't test it yet. Pretty much useless with HostsMan rearrange option.

Edit2. I used the latest (normal) version of MVPS and hpHosts + SpywareBlaster + SpyBot S&D and I used HostsMan to remove all comments & empty lines & rearranged hosts to 9 per line. Now the PC/network seems to work just fine (with 231260 entries & 4,69MB filesize).

Edit3. SpyBot (1.6.2) doesn't seem to "like"/know to handle/recognize lines with 9 entries.

Edited by nodles

• Moderators

Does some of you use/merge multiple hosts like mvps + hpHosts?

I used to but not anymore. I'm down to only using MVPS and my own list, as that gives much less problems. While HostsMan is nice for removing duplicates, I feel like it makes you stuck with it due to the way it formats the HOSTS file.

• Moderators

ummm for some reason I remember reading that you shouldn't mix both but don't recall where.

• Moderators

yeah but that's why I use hostXpert's whitelist function, for the few cases the mvps breaks a site I use.

ummm for some reason I remember reading that you shouldn't mix both but don't recall where.

I'm testing the combo now and haven't had any issues yet. Though Piriform's main site/all pics doesn't load (probably) because of s3.amazonaws.com and that can be removed or whitelisted.

Also there shouldn't be any duplicates, if I can trust HostsMan.

• Moderators

I was just going to state that using HostsMan to remove duplicates should deal with any of that "shouldn't mix both" worry, although I won't use it due to the way it formats the HOSTS file, I like mine the old school way of one entry per line as it makes it far easier to manually edit.

I was just going to state that using HostsMan to remove duplicates should deal with any of that "shouldn't mix both" worry, although I won't use it due to the way it formats the HOSTS file, I like mine the old school way of one entry per line as it makes it far easier to manually edit.

You can make it sort them 1 per line (or anything between 1-9 per line).

Edit.

Does some of you use/merge multiple hosts like mvps + hpHosts? I tried that combo, but it jams my PC/network because I'm using DNS service. I've already tried the tweaks mentioned at MVPS website.

Edit. found this http://hosts-file.ne...S-Optimized.zip which is smaller/optimized version of hpHosts, but I can't test it yet. Pretty much useless with HostsMan rearrange option.

Edit2. I used the latest (normal) version of MVPS and hpHosts + SpywareBlaster + SpyBot S&D and I used HostsMan to remove all comments & empty lines & rearranged hosts to 9 per line. Now the PC/network seems to work just fine (with 231260 entries & 4,69MB filesize).

Edit3. SpyBot (1.6.2) doesn't seem to "like"/know to handle/recognize lines with 9 entries.

After further testing I've unselected/removed hpHosts with HostsMan. HOSTS-file gets too big and there are many sites/servers I'd need to whitelist. I also noticed that SpywareBlaster doesn't touch hosts-file at all.

Now I'm using SpyBot and I've selected MVPS Hosts + hpHosts (Ad+Tracking server only) + Peter Lowe's AdServers List + Cameleon + Malware Domain List through HostsMan Sources.

The file is now <1MB (960KB) with almost 48K entries.

Edited by nodles