Hosts File Update

Icedrake

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

nice one.

reminded me to check mine, it was May, how time flies.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I've got a problem similar to Winapp2.ini as posted at the top of this page. I've been trying to go to http://www.nascar.com/presspass to watch their live news coverage and I found out today that MVPS is blocking the video. I put back the original HOSTS file during today's live broadcast & the video played.

My question is - how do I find out which entry is blocking the video so I can comment it out? I get no error message, just a blank, black video window. :wacko:

Does HostsXpert have any provision to determine which HOSTS entry is blocking this video?

I've never used HostsXpert but would consider installing it if it would pinpoint the entry doing the blocking.

Thanks!

Edit: I did find 4 entries with the word 'nascar' in them and commented them out, but it didn't work for being able to view the video.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

I went ahead & installed HostsXpert and I am trying to figure out the interface & functions. At least I can backup the current MVPS hosts file, restore the native Windows hosts file to watch videos, and then restore the MVPS backup. It's also easier to make the hosts file read only.

Next, I'll be trying the Download & update MVPS hosts file the next time I see an update posted here.

• Moderators

My question is - how do I find out which entry is blocking the video so I can comment it out? I get no error message, just a blank, black video window. :wacko:

I had that same problem with videos being blocked on the IMDB site, and finding the culprit was a problem.

Found the answer by asking the guys here, and there may be some useful info in the thread ...

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=31535

I was trying to find the culprit by watching Firefox's lower left corner and trying to note all the "waiting for" and "transferring data from" entries flashing quickly by but that was doing my eyes in.

WOW! Reading the topic you linked to was about what I expected - a hassle to find the culprit. But, there were some good suggestions in there as well.

The screenshot in Nergal's post #4 - what program did that come from? That looks like it will point to the possible culprits pretty quick.

• Moderators

The screenshot in Nergal's post #4 - what program did that come from? That looks like it will point to the possible culprits pretty quick.

I must admit I forgot to ask him at the time and if perchance he misses this I'll give him a heads up as it does look interesting.

• Moderators

Not sure which screenshot is meant as I didn't do post 4 and mobile doesn't show any screen shot but at the time I used Homer from the maker of HostXpert. I now use HostsServer from abelhadigital.com (both are good, I stopped using Homer because a conflict my security software.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
Nergal, nikki was referring to the link I posted for him where you are indeed the owner of post #4 ...

http://forum.pirifor...35

:)

ah ha now I see. Yeah I believe that is homer

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Thanks, Nergal. I'll check it out.

EDIT: Installed Homer & ran it while loading the webpage with the video that won't play. 13 blocked sites! :blink:

I don't go to that website often to watch videos so I'll just be happy with using HostsXpert to temporarily swap hosts files when needed.

Thanks for the help guys!

• Moderators

nikki, in post #145 above, I returned soon after to that post and added an edit to confirm that it was "Homer", and I added a link to it.

Did you see that edit and link? Did anyone see that edit and link?

I ask because I've lost 2 posts, a pm, and that edit over the last few days, and I'm trying to find out if those postings have actually been made and disappeared, or if in fact they are only being posted and visible in my account and haven't actually made it to the page.

I always check posts and links after posting, which I did in that edit. I say that to allay the gaggle of responses I'll get telling me I'm losing it, :)

• Moderators

Nikki one at a time

comment each of the blocked items in hostxpert

close the browser

Reopen the browser to the movie, then when it plays use hostxpert's whitelist feature. When ever you update host file (use replace in hostxpert not merge) go to whitelist feature and choose remove whitelist items.

nikki, in post #145 above, I returned soon after to that post and added an edit to confirm that it was "Homer", and I added a link to it.

Did you see that edit and link? Did anyone see that edit and link?

I ask because I've lost 2 posts, a pm, and that edit over the last few days, and I'm trying to find out if those postings have actually been made and disappeared, or if in fact they are only being posted and visible in my account and haven't actually made it to the page.

I always check posts and links after posting, which I did in that edit. I say that to allay the gaggle of responses I'll get telling me I'm losing it, :)

No, I do not see an edit and new link to Homer. The only link I see is the one back to the older topic that you originally pointed me to.

So, no, you are not "losing it." ;):D