Boot Time defrag too quick?

paulo500

I downloaded defraggler because it now has the Boot Time defrag option. If i enable this setting, shouldn't defraggler start the defrag process on my drives completely just before windows starts? This process should take a good chunk of time (depending on the HDD size). But all I get is a quick defrag session which lasts about 10 seconds or so, then continues on to the windows login screen. What is it defragging??

Am I missing a setting someplace in the defraggler options?

• Moderators

I think (??unsure though??) the boot time defrag ONLY defrags the "untouchable files" (Page files, maybe sysrestore points etc)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I bumped a slightly older thread earlier where it supposedly doesn't work because it starts momentarily and then continues to login screenm the reason I bumped was because at first the problem was reported with win7, as a new OS I imagined there would be issues with it and that others would think along the same line, yet I had the same issue on win XP SP3 which I felt had to be mentioned to make sure it wasn't an OS exclusive issue, having read Nergal's explanation, I think he is correct, as it would make sence since the whole idea of boot time programmes is to bypass protection that would be there when the whole OS has properly booted, so it can target the protected files that normally would be inaccesible, this would also make sence as defraggler before I made it do a proper defrag (which I did after a boot time) shows my pagefiles in 2 seperate chunks rather than scattered all over, and my MFT is altogethor on the top row of the diagram.

In the end Nergal may be incorrect, but I'm just saying his explanation makes logical sence to me.

I think (??unsure though??) the boot time defrag ONLY defrags the "untouchable files" (Page files, maybe sysrestore points etc)

Nergal, as far as I know, you are correct.

When I last checked the files being defragged on boot time, it seemed only a few files were being defragged.

On further inspection, it appeared to be files that were normally locked.

This is why it only takes seconds, because it is only a few files being defragged.

* I do not know if this includes system restore points, because I have them off at the moment while I test a few things.

* I do not know if this includes system restore points, because I have them off at the moment while I test a few things.

I assume you're talking about defragging in Vista or Windows 7. System Restore points aren't locked during normal use they simply have very restrictive permissions settings. As such Defraggler will not/cannot touch them during any stage of computer use.