Portable functionality

kcmjr

First I'd like to say I love all four of your products. I use them as part of my collection of portable apps since they can be used in a standalone configuration.

What I'd really like to see is an explicit option during install, where you can specify portable install. That way there would be no need to manually copy the files. Right now there is no option to select the install folder as is common with many program installs. As a result I install to hard disk and then copy the files to a USB stick. Being able to specify install directly to the USB would be a great addition.

I use the menu system from http://www.portableapps.com on my USB stick. It's a slick tool. An ideal solution would be to see the installs packaged with an option that would make them compliant with the auto-update process for that menu system. That way updates could handled automatically.

Thanks

• Moderators

yes, in the case of Piriforms Products (and many others that Johnj Haller Makes over at Portableapps) there is no need to use their build. Piriform provides the portable versions (see Hazelnut's link). As well if you place a check in options>advanced Save settings to ini file, it makes any piriform product immediatly portable.

the portable builds (as linked above) are just zip files with an added file (portable.dat) which forces this option

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 3 weeks later...

yes, in the case of Piriforms Products (and many others that Johnj Haller Makes over at Portableapps) there is no need to use their build. Piriform provides the portable versions (see Hazelnut's link). As well if you place a check in options>advanced Save settings to ini file, it makes any piriform product immediatly portable.

the portable builds (as linked above) are just zip files with an added file (portable.dat) which forces this option

I quoted what he said above, because I would like to add to it.

Combined with Batch Icon Extractor + WinRar, you can rar CCleaner to 1/2 or 1/3 the normal size.

Long story short, use Batch Icon Extractor to grab the icon & SFX capabilities of Rar.

You can make 2 or 3 times more files fit on a flash drive!

P.S. The great thing is that RAR SFX auto cleanup after the file is closed & can be set to dump to the system temp dir (for speed) rather than having to run on the flash drive itself.

• Moderators

Dear future people,

please remember that topics are topiced for a reason, and that this is not a discussion of interesting uses of *.rars

Thank you,

NdC

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com