Need Help - CD drive suddenly not working

razz

I figure someone amongst the clever masses on this forum may be able to help me with this recent problem. I used to be able to play CDs on my PC and I have recorded numerous music CDs (using Ashampoo Burning Studio). Very recently, this is no longer possible. When I try to record some music on a CD, a message states that there is no CD/DVD in the drive. I have not updated any drivers and when I check the status of my CD ROM in Device Manager, it states that the device is working properly.

Any ideas as to how to fix this problem?

Your time is greatly appreciated!

First thing you could try is the Microsoft Fix-It

Thank you very much Hazel for the great suggestion. I tried it and nearly half way through the procedure an error message popped up stating that an error had occurred and was unable to continue. :( So still not working.

• Moderators

Usually when they start having recognition, reading, and burning problems it can mean they're dead and need replaced, luckily nowadays most burner drives are inexpensive if you get them online from stores like NewEgg. I've had some last 1-2 years, and others over 7 years. If you rip allot of audio CDs with them that alone seems to reduce their lifespan.

Some things you can try:

* The first thing to check is make sure the drive is in the preferred DMA Mode, if it's stuck in PIO Mode it can cause many issues.

* Remove the current burning software, reboot, and try a different one to rule out a problem with the burning software.

Removing Ashampoo Burning Studio may work. However, I would install the newest version if your machine is less than 2 years old. You can also go to their site and download your version and the serial number to reregister the program. It is the only burning package I use and has been used with many different drives without problems.

As to the drive itself-if IDE make sure the cables are properly seated in the connectors. Also, as mentioned above, the amount of use will be a factor in how long a drive lasts. Some do last a very long time. Replacements for IDE are getting more expensive as the SATA protocol is more popular now. The SATA cables are also prone to coming loose-so again check that.

You can also go into Device Manager, regardless of Windows version, and delete the drive/reboot cold/allow Windows to find the device and try using it again. Intermittent drive failures are due to a drive failing, rarely is software such as Ashampoo orKoyoteSoft's Free Burner at fault.

As you are an experienced user perhaps have a look here at trying the fix manually

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116/en-gb

What was the error message?

I tried the manual fix last night and it did not solve the problem. The error message when I tried to run the auto fix is as follows:

6edf6a92d6ab.jpg

If you pop in a normal CD Audio or Data CD (not a CD-R or CD-RW) does Windows detect the presence of a disc in the drive??

Richard S.

No, Windows does not detect it. All was working fine numerous times in the past and more recently when I burned a DVD. Then a couple of weeks later I now wish to burn a music CD and I find this issue.

Usually when they start having recognition, reading, and burning problems it can mean they're dead and need replaced, luckily nowadays most burner drives are inexpensive if you get them online from stores like NewEgg. I've had some last 1-2 years, and others over 7 years. If you rip allot of audio CDs with them that alone seems to reduce their lifespan.

Some things you can try:

* The first thing to check is make sure the drive is in the preferred DMA Mode, if it's stuck in PIO Mode it can cause many issues.

* Remove the current burning software, reboot, and try a different one to rule out a problem with the burning software.

The more I think about it, the more I think you are right Andavari, about needing to replace my CD/DVD drive. The fact that no new drivers have been installed and all was working fine and then suddenly not.

I did check that the drive is in DMA mode.

I also tried to burn via Windows Media Player (instead of Ashampoo), still didn't work :(

swap cables connected to the cd,[inside pc]

uninstall ashampoo and try with another burner program.

I checked the cables and they looked fine, but I haven't replaced them....at least not yet.

I did try another burner program - Windows Media Player.

You can also go into Device Manager, regardless of Windows version, and delete the drive/reboot cold/allow Windows to find the device and try using it again.

Not sure what you mean jc, please elaborate a little.

I just discovered something very weird. Windows recognizes a DVD in my CD/DVD drive, so it appears that my problem is only with a CD. :blink: In the past I used 'WinAVI Video Converter" to convert video files and burn to DVD.

Any ideas given this new info.

Nothing weird about it CD-ROM drives have 2 different laser beams for CDs or DVDs your problem would seem to suggest a fault with the CD laser or the pickup.

Does your CD-ROM make a metallic knocking noise if it encounters a problem disc??

Have you tried other CDs??

Richard S.

Nothing weird about it CD-ROM drives have 2 different laser beams for CDs or DVDs your problem would seem to suggest a fault with the CD laser or the pickup.

Does your CD-ROM make a metallic knocking noise if it encounters a problem disc??

Have you tried other CDs??

Richard S.

I have never noticed any unusual noise. I have tried several CDs.

• Moderators

Go in the device manager and right-click on your cd/dvd drive and uninstall it. Then reboot, Windows will reinstall it on boot.

If it still doesn't work then I would agree with Richard that the laser may be defective and it's time for a new one perhaps.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Go in the device manager and right-click on your cd/dvd drive and uninstall it. Then reboot, Windows will reinstall it on boot.

If it still doesn't work then I would agree with Richard that the laser may be defective and it's time for a new one perhaps.

I did what you suggested Hazel and it's still not working :(

I agree that the best solution at this point is to buy a new one.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions, I truly appreciate your help.

• Moderators

It could also be the CD brand you're using, if it's a crap media some drives will refuse to burn onto them or if they do allow burning onto them the discs could be unusable coasters. That's a possibility, however I'd still lean on the drive needing replaced.

Maybe you could lend a spare drive from a friend (or another computer) to verify if the drive is defective?

Sounds a bit like it. I also lately had an LG drive that suddenly wouldn?t burn CDs anymore (behaved normally, seemed to ?write? to the blank CD, gave error upon the following verify, using ImgBurn). It was actually the drive and I had to replace it.

Another idea: Do you have DaemonTools or the like installed? I experienced problems with (older versions of the) the SPTD driver (SCSI-Pass-Thru-Driver) they install on some machines.

Another idea: Do you have DaemonTools or the like installed? I experienced problems with (older versions of the) the SPTD driver (SCSI-Pass-Thru-Driver) they install on some machines.

Thanks for your input Moonbase. I have not installed any new programs since it was working fine a little while ago, so that would not be the problem.

It could also be the CD brand you're using, if it's a crap media some drives will refuse to burn onto them

I always use good CD brands. Also, can't play any (good quality) recorded CD.

• Moderators

yup, cd laser broken on device. . . time for a new drive . . . sorry to say. . . .

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com