new version Microsoft Security Essentials

hazelnut

• Moderators

New version 2.0.657.0 available for download

https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e1605e70-9649-4a87-8532-33d813687a7f&pf=true

Assume it will be pushed out over the next few days on autoupdate, but you could just download and upgrade that way.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I got it. I don't really care for the grid/web graphic on it though and wish it could be turned off since it's fugly. I do however like that it now has behaviour monitoring in the real-time protection, and during scheduled scans it has a configurable CPU usage percentage selector.

Also, as if they're previous installer wasn't small enough they've made it significantly smaller yet - that's a huge praise with other AV's constantly getting bigger installers.

• Moderators

I just installed this as well. I liked that during the install it came up with a different screen that acknowledged it was an upgrade and it didn't just install over the old one. I would never usually install a new version of an AV software without uninstalling the old one(too many problems in the past) but I figured MS would do this right since they would be putting this out through MS update and I wasn't disappointed.

I like that it also asks if it can enable the windows firewall(which should be enabled already on most machines by now) but its a good check. I know the old one would make sure auto updates was on(no prompt but it installs Microsoft update on my Win7 machine so I assume its doing it on xp and vista too).

• Moderators

I would never usually install a new version of an AV software without uninstalling the old one(too many problems in the past) but I figured MS would do this right since they would be putting this out through MS update and I wasn't disappointed.

I did a clean install due to the huge version jump. And looking through my Total Uninstall log it has new folder paths, etc.

I upgraded from the previous version of MSE and when I did the desktop icon shortcut disappeared. The little castle looking thingie with the flag. So I went back to the previous version but the icon on the desktop is still missing. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. The icon does show up under the "show hidden icons" pop-up, but being a creature of habit and not adapting to change well, how do I get that icon back on my desktop? I can't sleep until it's back like it was. I don't remember any box to tick during install and setup about "show icon on desktop" or anything. Any ideas?

EDIT: Sorry, I can't figure out how to delete my post, but I figured out my problem. Just went to "Start" and dragged that icon onto my desktop. All is right with the world again!

• Moderators

I keep it at basic membership. When I have run a piece of software that MSE has not come across before it will then ask my permission to send info about it so it can then warn other users if this software turns out to be bad.

This is an instance where I don't mind the information being passed on as it benefits me in the long run.

It's something I feel comfortable with, they know all about my system anyway :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com