Click on Link bring up something strange as I

Mudd

Now I have found something strange as I. When there is a link posted in an email and I left click it I get the "can't do" thing, (see attachment). I can get there by right click and save shortcut and paste in in a browser. Can't remember just what now but the same message come up sometime when I click and icon to open it, not every time but sometime.

This happened recently. I have had no crashes or lockups recently. I went back to my oldest restore point for help without success.

This PC is a 5 year old (can't bear to call the name) that has been a bear from day one. Fortunately I've had some friends that can usually help me. Unfortunately they are all deceased or in a Nursing Home and don't even remember what a Computer is! Don't mean to me cruel but it true.

So I'm calling on the good people of Piriform Community for help.

Mudd

• Moderators

From the screenshot it looks like your email program (if you use one) isn't recognised by your web browser. It "may be a quick and easy fix" via Internet Explorer, although I don't know if the Internet Explorer change will help 3rd party web browsers. That's about all I can think of at this time.

See the Internet Explorer screenshot of how you can play around with the email settings

(available in "Internet Explorer->Tools->Internet Options->Programs" (tab)):

2ac1863af31f.png

I use Windows Mail, the program that came with this Vista. I use both IE and Firefox. Like Firefox better but some pages won't open in Firefox, not many but some.

I can't get to the same place as you showed, similar but not there. I did find something in the Mail section that may be the problem. It is blanked out for some reason.

I have neither browser set as the default. Haven't had any problem with this since I started using Firefox, years ago. The box marked OPTIONS is from the Tools in my Mail.

Please see the two attachment to help you figure out what I'm trying to tell you. Brain is old, so is reason-ability.

Mudd

Andavari I found the solution to my problem and fixed it. I don't understand why it just recently came about. I have to have a Browser set as Default, one or the other. I've tried it both ways and it works but without a Browser set it doesn't work.

Now I know that one has not been set for months and months because if I open Firefox it wants me to know it's not the Default. Just the opposite with IE. So my problem is gone. Thank you so much for the help.

I'm using IE 8 and maybe that is why the options windows were different if you are not on IE 8.

Mudd