high CPU, low IO, slow defrag

spongman

@ Alan: "You have a friend here that is willing to find a good home for your spare RAM"

Thanks. What a guy, always thinking of others. Warms the heart. :lol:

And you are right, win 7 and the hardware are 64 bit, but win xp is 32 bit. Made the dual boot business sort of a challenge.

Back on topic, is there anything else I can do to help with the original issue of this investigation?

It doesn't happen on win xp 32 bit 3.3 gb RAM, etc, etc as far as I can see. That is, there is no discernable pause when switching from one file to another, and the completion time seems reasonable.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I have also noticed that DF is very much slow when defragging a lot of small files than other defraggers.

I think it's just one of those things where moving a ton of small files just takes more time versus moving larger files, well that's what I've noticed using most defrag tools and I've used many of them.

It's also up to the defrag algorithm, so maybe Defraggler is trying to do a better job at the added expense of it taking more time.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also having this issue. Normal defrag is very, very slow on some drives (it ran overnight but managed to get to 1% on a 750GB drive) and quick defrag is like the normal defrag but inefficient. On some drives the normal defrag runs smoothly.

I'm on Win7 x64 SP1 with the latest updates.

• 6 years later...

Small up.

Defrag is extremely slow. Defrag was started about 30h ago. Now it's estimate completion in 12 Hours but this time increase by 30 minutes every hour...

If I compute my own estimated completion (based on two screenshots spaced 15 hours apart) i found : 1306 hours left (54 days)... ( It's a 540GB NTFS partition)
Yesterday I compute 48 days left...