Defraggler does not finish

stevemalee

Maybe I am expecting too much.

Have run Degraggler twice and there is still a lot of reds when the message completed is shown.

Have v.21.209 64 bit

Vista Home Premium

Did disk cleanup and removed system restore points prior to running Defraggler

How many times should I run Defraggler before there are no reds?

Or am I doing something wrong at this stage ?

Thanks

I think the file fragments may belong to files in the System_Volume_Information folder. If this is the case then your fragmented files are those pertaining to System Restore points. In Windows Vista and Windows 7 those files are locked and cannot be touched by any defragmenting software (built-in one included).

I think the file fragments may belong to files in the System_Volume_Information folder. If this is the case then your fragmented files are those pertaining to System Restore points. In Windows Vista and Windows 7 those files are locked and cannot be touched by any defragmenting software (built-in one included).

Even though I cleaned all system restore points using Disk Cleanup prior to degragging ?

I have been able to get completely defragged using other defrag programs. I do like Defraggler, however, and would like to continue using it.

I don't use Vista but I'm pretty sure the Disk Cleanup tool doesn't delete all your system restore points only up to the most recent whatever time specification that is. As a result you should still have some restore points left which would account for the fragmentation. The only way to fully get rid of all your restore points is to turn off System Restore.

The other defrag programs ignore Sys Vol Info files in their count. Defraggler shows all. :)

So, what you are saying is that even though I remove all the system restore points still I will get red due to sys vol info files ??

How many times do you recommend running Defraggler normally ?

So, what you are saying is that even though I remove all the system restore points still I will get red due to sys vol info files ??

I'll leave that answer for a member who has experienced that situation.

I keep a few restore points and I defrag only the files, so I'm not concerned with a few red cells remaining because that will not degrade performance.

I can't recommend a frequency for a full defrag. What works best for me is to perform a file-only defrag several times weekly -- it takes only seconds.

In File list ☑ Filename to defrag the entire list.

7b2f4234f934.jpg

Edited.

1. Are you sure you removed all your System Restore points because Disk Cleanup doesn't only upto the most recent? If all your points are gone then there shouldn't be anything inside the System_Volume_Information folder.

2. I don't recommend performing a full defrag. Press "Anaylze" and then go to the file list and defrag the specific file from there. This way you can tell if a file is being defragmented or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen similar, if you click on the blocks of red files and then look in the "Highlighted" tab, you will find what files are not getting defragged. They may be files like pagefile.sys & hiberfil.sys, or other system files, that are not defraggable. Another possibility I have seen is where a folder is apparently "embedded" in the middle of a large file moved to end of disk.

The defraggler % shown and the red tends to look worse than it really is. A 400 MB file could be in 100 pieces, and will look terrible but may actually not harm performance significantly if the fragments are clusters of 4MB for instance and represent about a 1000 4KiB blocks.

The Windows defragmenter appears to not worry about huge fragments, probably neither should you.