CCleaner Incorrect Results

jpritch

I have attached two screen shots showing what happens when I use CCleaner. If anyone can tell me what I am doing incorrectly to receive this obvious erroneous result when I ran Run Cleaner I will appreciate the assistance.

Attachment CCleaner-4.jpg shows the report after I selected Analysis. It is my understanding that all of the files listed should have been deleted when I clicked on Run Cleaner.

Attachment CCleaner-5.jpg shows the report after I selected Run Cleaner

post-41134-073136200 1289881609_thumb.jpg

post-41134-042559500 1289881643_thumb.jpg

Try running CCleaner the first thing after you restart, if you haven't already. I've had pretty good results when I do it that way. Restarting forces a lot of stuff to unload from memory that can cause CC to act a little squirrelly. Other than that I can't think of what it might be. I doubt you're doing anything wrong. It should delete exactly what it reports in the analysis.

• Moderators

Did you accept the UAC prompt when you started ccleaner (Or do you have UAC turned off?) Is Internet explorer killed (Check the Task Manager Processes tab for an occurance of iexplore.exe)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Try running CCleaner the first thing after you restart, if you haven't already. I've had pretty good results when I do it that way. Restarting forces a lot of stuff to unload from memory that can cause CC to act a little squirrelly. Other than that I can't think of what it might be. I doubt you're doing anything wrong. It should delete exactly what it reports in the analysis.

jpritch responds:

I rebooted, then ran CCleaner/Analyze (see attachment-7 which shows many files to be deleted)

(See attachment-8 which shows result from running Run Cleaner)The results are almost complete. I then ran Run Cleamer a few more times and each time a few more items are reported as being deleted. I know that this is abnormal behavior, but I have no idea what is causing it or what I can do to get normal results.

Thank you for your reply.

post-41134-092151100 1289930402_thumb.jpg

post-41134-016254500 1289930423_thumb.jpg

post-41134-063338800 1289930445_thumb.jpg

post-41134-060606300 1289930469_thumb.jpg

post-41134-033901600 1289930488_thumb.jpg

post-41134-051495800 1289930513_thumb.jpg

Did you accept the UAC prompt when you started ccleaner (Or do you have UAC turned off?) Is Internet explorer killed (Check the Task Manager Processes tab for an occurance of iexplore.exe)

jpritch responds:

I saw no UAC prompt, but then, I have no idea if UAC is ON or OFF and I don't know how to check on this. Should it be ON?

I don't understand your question about killing IE. That is my default browser and it is always ON. Should it be closed when CCleaner is running?

Thanks for your suggestions.

• Moderators

yes, ie needs to be closed before cleaning

here is information on UAC do not turn UAC off

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com