Memory question

Stephen

My Mobo is an Intel D875PBZLK with Dual CHannel DDR, Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 800MHz FSB, with HyperThreading.

My current memory is Corsair PC3200-XMS DDR400 CL2, 2 512 sticks. After booting up and opening Tuneup Utilities, I have 37% of the memory in use (AV, firewall, etc.). This is without the internet open, and without playing any games or other memory intensive applications.

I'm thinking I should go to 2 gigs of memory. I'm interested in getting memory that is at least as fast as my current memory - but also at least as stable, if not more so. I don't need to overclock.

Is going to 2 gigs a good idea? Should I get 2 more 512 sticks of the Corsair memory or start fresh with all new memory sticks? Is there a better option (different brand, different specs) given my needs?

My Mobo is an Intel D875PBZLK with Dual CHannel DDR, Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 800MHz FSB, with HyperThreading.

My current memory is Corsair PC3200-XMS DDR400 CL2, 2 512 sticks.  After booting up and opening Tuneup Utilities, I have 37% of the memory in use (AV, firewall, etc.).  This is without the internet open, and without playing any games or other memory intensive applications.

I'm thinking I should go to 2 gigs of memory.  I'm interested in getting memory that is at least as fast as my current memory - but also at least as stable, if not more so.  I don't need to overclock.

Is going to 2 gigs a good idea?  Should I get 2 more 512 sticks of the Corsair memory or start fresh with all new memory sticks?  Is there a better option (different brand, different specs) given my needs?

How many slots you have left? Heres what I searched up....

Note: That 1GB of RAM should be enough but... It depends on what you do.

CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory

Heres 2X 1GB sticks. GREAT DEAL! Hurry and buy it! CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Yet another Deal! price is good. Standard 1GB Stick. CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory

Note: That I'm searching up your RAM company that you have Installed. Having the same Company is a good way for standard Performance.

How many slots you have left? Heres what I searched up....

Note: That 1GB of RAM should be enough but... It depends on what you do.

CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory

Heres 2X 1GB sticks. GREAT DEAL! Hurry and buy it! CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Yet another Deal! price is good. Standard 1GB Stick. CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory

Note: That I'm searching up your RAM company that you have Installed. Having the same Company is a good way for standard Performance.

I have room for 4 sticks. Is there another brand that would be better than Corsair?

Here's the memory Crucial has for your MOBO. It may cost more but it's worth it.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...75PBZ&submit=Go

I've looked at the Crucial memory - both regular and the Ballistix line. My current Corsair memory is the Twinx XMS 3200C2 modules, and the latency is 2-3-3-6 (I think I'm saying that right). To help me do an apples to apples comparison or brands, would I see any performance difference (speed and/or stability) between my current Corsair and the Crucial PC3200 CL3 module - assuming I used the same amount of ram? What if I instead went with the Crucial Ballistix PC4000 module, which is 3-4-4-8, again assuming the same amount of ram as I currently have? Also, Intel shows my mobo as compatible with PC2700 and PC3200. Does that mean that PC4000 would run/perform the same as PC3200?

I've looked at the Crucial memory - both regular and the Ballistix line.? My current Corsair memory is the Twinx XMS 3200C2 modules, and the latency is 2-3-3-6 (I think I'm saying that right). To help me do an apples to apples comparison or brands, would I see any performance difference (speed and/or stability) between my current Corsair and the Crucial PC3200 CL3 module - assuming I used the same amount of ram?? What if I instead went with the Crucial Ballistix PC4000 module, which is 3-4-4-8, again assuming the same amount of ram as I currently have?? Also, Intel shows my mobo as compatible with PC2700 and PC3200.? Does that mean that PC4000 would run/perform the same as PC3200?

I think they would run about the same speed. I like Crucial cause they are one of the few companies that actually makes their own memory. Most companies just assemble their memory from parts they get from suppliers. With Crucial, you are buying factory direct and cutting out the retailer. They also "burn-in" all their memory, run it at high temps, to be sure they are shipping a more reliable and stable part. I'm noy sure, but I think that a mobo that is compatible with both PC 2700 and PC 3200, it will use either one but will clock the 3200 at 2700. I know my HP clocks PC 2700 at 2100. If i'm wrong, I'm sure Tarun or somebody will correct me.