Unused File Extensions

LesF

When I scan under Registry/Unused File Extensions in CC, it shows a long list of file extensions (supposedly unused). However, I recignize many of them as being extensions that I do use (.aawdef, .tmp, .psb, .e_e for example). I'm afraid that if I allow CC to "clean" (i.e., delete) these references, I will have problems with my system.

Can you explain why these extensions show up in this list? Perhaps I just don't understand how this category is supposed to function in CC.

Thanks.

• Moderators

Please read my advice on registry cleaning in my signature

usually these items show because the software that uses the extentions doesn't register it's handling correctly

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I have the same issue - and so do many others. My advice is - Don't. By your own admission, you don't know what will happen if you do. Why take such a risk? I use a lot of shareware that is not well-known. CCleaner always lists them. I NEVER let CCleaner delete those references. Maybe what Nergal says, "usually these items show because the software that uses the extentions doesn't register it's handling correctly" is true. Still, there they are and my software is working just fine. I won't risk it quitting and then having to reinstall, contact the vendor to convince them that I have a license, and no, I'm not installing on another computer, yada yada, and then waste more time getting the application set up the way it once was.

Every time I've used the registry cleaner, it has caused me problems. Some minor but once, major. My system is speedy and set up just the way I like it. Having suffered through one disaster, I do everything possible to avoid another.

writeaway, I'm totally in agreement with you about not wanting to screw up a sweet-running machine, so I'll take your advice and leave the extensions alone.

I did, however, let CC clean all the other registry categories, but not before I verified that EACH AND EVERY ITEM LISTED (Type Libraries, Application Paths, etc.) did not, in fact, exist (yes, I followed every path). This gave me the confidence to let CC do the cleaning, and I've had no problems.

Thanks.