New Java Update

hazelnut

New Java Update Version 6 update 22

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Apparently this update reintroduces jusched to MSCONFIG but can be safely unchecked.

I am very confused, Hazel. You said it re-introduces it. As though it did not in time past? As far as I can recollect, Java has long been a program that always installed the Java Updater. I always have to uncheck that after a Java install. I wonder how you went so long without discovering this? Perhaps some program interfered with the updater being installed or used such as a security program that blocks additions to the startup list? Teatimer? Etc?

P.S. Aethec, although Java is something I would rather do without, sometimes semi-critical software requires it, such as Open Office.

Yeah, I don't like Java either, but sometimes you have to have it for certain apps or programs to run, just like that .NET mess.

OpenOffice runs fine without Java. I know some parts of it are written in Java, but I know for sure you can install OpenOffice and run it without Java installed ;)

Piriform French translator

OpenOffice runs fine without Java. I know some parts of it are written in Java, but I know for sure you can install OpenOffice and run it without Java installed ;)

That's good to know.

I hadn't had time to test it without java. That's actually great to know.

Am wondering if there is something hidden in Open Office that demands it? Like spreadsheet calculations?

Or if that works as well? Will have to try your suggestion later.

• Moderators

I hadn't had time to test it without java. That's actually great to know.

Am wondering if there is something hidden in Open Office that demands it? Like spreadsheet calculations?

It gives some Java Runtime missing dialog but I can't remember exactly what it says since I put OpenOffice Portable on my moms laptop months ago which doesn't have Java installed. I don't know exactly what's "missing" since I didn't test everything in it since it's just being used as a documents viewer on her system.