CCleaner wants to rid me of my documents

lehoj99

:( hello all, bit of a newbie to CCleaner but thought I'd give it a bash anyhow. i have run the 'issues' side of this with no probs but have noticed that CCleaner flags up my pictures and most of my videos in my documents for deletion. I have verified that these are not just temp links or shortcuts but are actually my things. It even shows the file size is, correct to the last byte. I am reluctant to continue as both the path and file size point to the documents themselves, do not want to lose all my holiday pictures and videos etc etc...someone tell me I won't :)

• Moderators

I've never heard of CCleaner wanting to delete actual files in My Documents. As a precaution against accidental lose for everyday computing you should be making backups to another disk or a removable medium such as CD-RW, CD-R.

I'd recommend before you actually attempt to clean that you post of screenshot of what the Analyze button lists so we can better assist you. To give us a screenshot of only the open CCleaner program press at the same time on the keyboard the following buttons: Alt PrtScn

:o:o:o ok thanks for the advice but I fear it may be a bit late...The complete scan highlighted over 2GB of data it had identified. I did not ask CCleaner to delete any of the files it found only to perform an 'issues' scan, this deleted few reg entries and the like. Now I find that all of my documents (aside from around 6?) have been deleted, file size of all subfolders confirms this. I am currently running get data back to attempt to recover these... :o:o:o

• Moderators

To clear something up, what exactly did you push:

Cleaner tab - Analyze:

Only detects what is removable, doesn't actually delete anything.

Cleaner tab - Run Cleaner:

Deletes what is removable.

Issues tab - Scan for Issues:

Only finds invalid registry data and invalid shortcuts.

Issues tab - Fix selected issues:

Removes the invalid registry data and invalid shortcuts that Scan for Issues listed.

• Moderators

You don't by any chance have the My Documents folder mapped as a temp directory do you. To find out where your system temp directory is mapped to start a command prompt and type in: dir %temp%

It will list the location of the temp directory.

Another thing make sure you haven't inputted the My Documents folder in CCleaner under: Options->Custom

OK have checked and don't actually HAVE any temp variables. Have entered %temp% - C:\WINDOWS\Temp and %tmp% - C:\WINDOWS\Temp in system variables. Guess this would be my fault then..... BTW I have recovered the majority of my photos from an old but trusty 4GB maxtor. :-) One happier girlfriend.. Ta anyhow Andavari...

• Moderators
OK have checked and don't actually HAVE any temp variables.  Have entered %temp% - C:\WINDOWS\Temp and %tmp% - C:\WINDOWS\Temp in system variables.  Guess this would be my fault then.

No, it listed C:\Windows\Temp therefore that's where your temp folder resides. The only reason I was even wondering is because some people edit the location and change it.

Glad to hear you recovered the files.