Changes to OpenOffice

hazelnut

Will switch to libreoffice when it goes out of beta --- seems it'll get updates more frequently than oracles version, be more compatible with latest MS office formats thanks to features of other OOo forks being included .... have a suspicion that OOo development has been slowed in recent times under some sort of agreement with MS .. am I imagining things?

The OOo developpement has been stopped in response to Oracle. OOo/LibreOffice is not really in a nice position ; they are technically inferior to MSO in every way, thus their only possible users are the ones who don't want to pay for MSO, and the ones who don't like the Ribbon :)

If Oracle really wanted to hurt Microsoft, they could, but...

Piriform French translator

I personally dislike the ribbon interface. I liked being able to have everything I needed in one area, rather than having to switch to a different tab each time I wanted to do something different (the ribbon interface is more user friendly though). Latest version of LibreOffice is nice too, they've been doing some serious work changing the images for buttons and everything. Overall it looks quite different from OOo.

never tried that ribbon thing -- like to stick with what i'm used to -- office 2003 & OOo depending on which computer i'm on

You should try it. It takes a little time to get used to it, but I just can't go back to OOo or Office 2003 now :lol:

^ not going to spend money on something I don't need for home use -- send me a copy of MS Office & I'll try it :lol: :lol:

chose the (mostly) open source software & higher spec PC route a while back

LibreOffice seems like it's a big jump from OOo ... but things still look familiar thankfully unlike the default gui settings on many modern internet browsers ... I'd choose a top menu every time .... add features & improve programs but leave basics alone

Really? I have just recently seen an announcement for OpenOffice 3.3 RC3; to me that looks like "someone" is still developing there...?

That they are Squire: Open Office 3.3.0 RC3

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Really? I have just recently seen an announcement for OpenOffice 3.3 RC3; to me that looks like "someone" is still developing there...?

Most people who were in the OOo project but not Sun employees went to LibreOffice instead. It seems Oracle wants to continue the work, but they'll have to do way more than a minor version...

This video is full of BS I'm not even sure if this was ever produced or endorsed by Microsoft.

If companies are having technical problems with Open Office they shouldn't employ sheep to operate computers.

Richard S.

This video is full of BS I'm not even sure if this was ever produced or endorsed by Microsoft.

If companies are having technical problems with Open Office they shouldn't employ sheep to operate computers.

Richard S.

have noticed that all to often the company users are utterly clueless about anything other than the MS Office they've been trained to use & company policy stops them from tinkering about (extremely limited users) --- company unwilling to switch because a different software suite means staff need training, productivity takes a dip in the learning period & they simply cant afford the downtime. plus of course they'd have to train up their tech dept who might only ever have used MS / MS Office. then there's networks tied to IE6.... vid is a piece of propaganda no doubts, but many would be scared to change to OOo/Lib0 and that vid plays on that fact + of course lucrative MS support contracts could be lost

...sheep to operate computers.

Richard S.

...(extremely limited users)...

All true, but we had the same production dip when just changing from one MS Office version to another. I retired from a training job, we prepared our own materials. We were about as limited as you can get, :lol: and each new release threw us for a loop.

I can still hear the IT instructor saying "It's just like the old version, you can still..."

interrupted by someone in the back shouting "WELL COME HERE AND SHOW ME THE #^%$ THING, THEN",

and someone else muttering "Well, that didn't work, but don't tell him, its lunch time".

So even sticking with MS products only reduces the problem, doesn't eliminate it. Witness the ribbon controversy. :P

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

Latest change. Instead of going to the Document Foundation (which would reunite it with LibreOffice) Open Office is going to Apache.

http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2011/06/01/statement-about-oracles-move-to-donate-openoffice-org-assets-to-the-apache-foundation/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com