Changes to OpenOffice

hazelnut

• Moderators

Info released today announcing changes to OpenOffice. Now to be called LibreOffice.

Anyway info here with comments from users underneath in the thread

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=34510

A short version from another site

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/142247/index.html

Hope it stays free and available to all.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

It seems they want Oracle to give them the OpenOffice.org brand name. LibreOffice ("libre" means "free" in French - free as in free to do what you want, not free beer) is only a temporary name.

Piriform French translator

• Moderators

There seems to be a lot of confusion going on about this. If you read the comments near the bottom of this page the beta version of LibreOffice removed the stable build of OO for one person and yet not for another.

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=34510

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Does this mean that the OpenOffice on www.openoffice.org is no longer being developed, and that users of it have to switch to LibreOffice?

OpenOffice might continue to be developped. It all depends on Oracle. But I doubt they really want to support it - they'd have to rewrite most of it to make it competitive to MSO.

• Moderators

so then, is Libre a fork or will my linux box running Open suddenly be running libre . . . SOOOOO confused (darn Oracle :P )

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

It's a fork.

Cool I'll update my linux box accordingly (if Ubuntu software manager doesn't do this itself)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

It seems they want Oracle to give them the OpenOffice.org brand name. LibreOffice ("libre" means "free" in French - free as in free to do what you want, not free beer) is only a temporary name.

Well the word "libre" also means "free" in Spanish. Even in our language, we use that word that way.

But anyway, I would be happy if they can improve this Libre Office. MS Office 2007 and 2010 are far ahead in terms of innovation. I use Open Office on my Linuxes but its buggier than MS Office and it doesn't have the ribbon interface that I love so much.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Installed LibreOffice on an old computer, yep it installed over the old version of openoffice that was there without offering an alternate install location (well it is a beta) back to old OOo desktop icon & its gui icons seem bigger than OOo norm.

lots of sponsors getting behind it & rumours oracle are heading towards a cloud office!

What would be your suggestion Aethec? Switch to LibreOffice, or stay with OODev for now.

Well, I'd say use MSO, but...I think staying with the stable OOo version is better for now, LibreOffice might die if they don't get enough money.

• 2 weeks later...

This video could have been made by Captain Obvious...nearly everything (except, of course, Randall C. Kennedy's quote at 1:24 - google his name and "Craig Barth" if you want more information) is true.

MSO has more features, is faster, and has a better GUI - but quality has a price.

I know this sounds like trolling, but...I can't see anything done better by OOo than by MSO. :unsure:

Meh, I don't see the point of that video anyway. If you don't like a program, then don't use it. Especially considering that OpenOffice is completely free. If you want to shell out a few hundred bucks on MS Office, then do it.

Meh, I don't see the point of that video anyway. If you don't like a program, then don't use it. Especially considering that OpenOffice is completely free. If you want to shell out a few hundred bucks on MS Office, then do it.

This video is not for you and me, but for big companies thinking about a move to OOo.

Microsoft released a video about users bashing OpenOffice. Didn't expect this lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzdykNa2IBU

I think this was because OpenOffice was affecting their sales.

A very interesting (but true) video.

Those results were similar to the results that we came up with (4 years ago when I was working as a internal network consultant within the world wide Corporate Giant). Open office was mostly used by us NC's and employees on their home PC's where they mostly created basic word processing, spreadsheet & presentation documents.

I also found it was also excellent as a starting point (introduction/learning) for my son & daughter with their home/school PC's and much cheaper to. These days both my son & daughter are mid twenties and employed in the IT industry.

For me these days I am still using Office Pro 2003 on my business PC, but Open Office on my personal and testing PC. It will be interesting to see just what transpires with Oracle now in the box seat.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Hazelnut for the update, I am now reg. with The Document Foundation.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

I have seen that video maybe 2 weeks ago because it was discussed on another forum I was on. But I think individual users are now wise enough to weigh which is best for them.

I love MS Office than Open Office but Open Office is just free and supports more formats that MS office don't. Open office also supports PDF's but MS Office don't by default.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Will switch to libreoffice when it goes out of beta --- seems it'll get updates more frequently than oracles version, be more compatible with latest MS office formats thanks to features of other OOo forks being included .... have a suspicion that OOo development has been slowed in recent times under some sort of agreement with MS .. am I imagining things?