My computer won't boot up

UrPhrend

Hi,

One day, I was watching a movie online and all of a sudden my computer froze and then I waited for several minutes and then it crashed by itself. I turned it back on and it wont boot up. There is no Windows logo or any log on the screen. All it is, is the Dell logo and an F2 and F12 select options. After that it is a dark screen and it wont load up. I'm not sure what is going on.

Can anyone tell me what I can do myself to solve this problem? I have had this computer for a while so there is no warranty. It is a Dell Inspirion Mini 10. It has Windows XP SP3. I have all the setup CDs. Can someone tell me how to reboot the computer or something.

Thanks so much in advance. Please forgive me if I posted in the wrong section.

Regards

UrPhrend (Mike)

If Safe Mode doesn't work (F8 before the XP splash screen) I would recommend you download and burn a copy of Hiren's Tools.

Hirens is a bootable CD with an option called Mini XP that provides a workable Windows environment (similar to BartPE).

From Mini XP you should be able to access your hard drive files and more importantly run "chkdsk.exe c: /f" to fix any file system errors.

Richard S.

Yeah, this should probably go to the Hardware section, go to Boot Options and Boot in Safe Mode.

Welcome!

How can I do this? can you please give me step by step instructions? Thanks

If Safe Mode doesn't work (F8 before the XP splash screen) I would recommend you download and burn a copy of Hiren's Tools.

Hirens is a bootable CD with an option called Mini XP that provides a workable Windows environment (similar to BartPE).

From Mini XP you should be able to access your hard drive files and more importantly run "chkdsk.exe c: /f" to fix any file system errors.

Richard S.

Where can I download Hirens tools from? Thanks