CCleaner Registry Cleaner

skyzyk

I have a problem with CCleaner. Every time I do a scan for registry items it shows 4 or 5 items almost immediately and then just keeps scanning, until I finally just stop it, with nothing else added, I never see %100 as with previous versions I've had. My CCleaner version is the latest. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium x64, with Intel i7-860, 2,8, dual quad core. Has anybody else had this problem before? If not is there a moderator who can help me? It would be a shame to have to uninstall this great little program in favor of another. Please Help. Gary

Aspire to Inspire, ..., Before You Expire.

• Moderators

Hi Gary, and welcome to the forum.

Just for into, the mods on here are no different to the other members, we're all volunteers, and we all endeavour to help where we can. :)

Can you see the item CCleaner appears to be stuck on, as it sounds like it's stuck. Maybe the last item in the results window.

If so, can you try unchecking that item from the list, and then see if you can complete a scan.

• Moderators

Also, what brand and version of security software do you have on your machine? it might be blocking a registry scan <_<

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hi Gary, and welcome to the forum.

Just for into, the mods on here are no different to the other members, we're all volunteers, and we all endeavour to help where we can. :)

Can you see the item CCleaner appears to be stuck on, as it sounds like it's stuck. Maybe the last item in the results window.

If so, can you try unchecking that item from the list, and then see if you can complete a scan.

I thank you for the quick reply

I unchecked all and tried them one at a time and in different combinations. It just keeps going and going, never a sign that it has completed with action bar just going. It used to say %100 at the top. Does it still do that?

Also, what brand and version of security software do you have on your machine? it might be blocking a registry scan <_<

Webroot Spysweeper

Avira Premium

Microsoft Security Essentials Worked before with these installed

Malwarebytes Anti Malware

Iobit Security 360 Pro These two installed within 30 days

They are all the most up to date versions.

Gary, do you have "Microsoft Security Essentials" and "Avira" running at the same time?

If so, you need to switch one of them off as you should only have one A/V running. They'll be conflicting with each other.

I have tried disabling all of them and the result is still the same.

Webroot Spysweeper

Avira Premium

Microsoft Security Essentials Worked before with these installed

Malwarebytes Anti Malware

Iobit Security 360 Pro These two installed within 30 days

They are all the most up to date versions.

why are you running so many AV/AM items together? This will do more harm then any good.

What are you trying to acheive by registry cleaning?

No fate but what we make

why are you running so many AV/AM items together? This will do more harm then any good.

What are you trying to acheive by registry cleaning?

They have always worked in harmony before. I needed to add the last two to get rid of a virus which the others could not find. Security essentials, Iobit and MalwareBytes are meant to work alongside your existing programs/

What is it I am trying to do with Registry Cleaner? TRYING TO GET IT TO WORK PROPERLY AS IT IT IS MEANT TO.

MSE is *not* meant to be ran alongside of others. And I doubt IOBit Security is. (besides, you shouldn't use IOBit software, they have been known for stealing virus databases from MalwareBytes...)

This might sound weird, but having more than one resident protection will detect *less* viruses due to conflicts.

Piriform French translator

• Moderators

What is it I am trying to do with Registry Cleaner? TRYING TO GET IT TO WORK PROPERLY AS IT IT IS MEANT TO.

That's the whole point Gary. Although there may not have been any obvious side effects to running more than one A/V at the same time, there will be consequences, and some programs not working as they should could be one of those consequences.

Worse than CCleaner not working is the fact stated by one of the other guys, that you don't have effective protection from malware through running applications which conflict with each other, and put quite plainly, can cancel each other out.

Before anyone on here can help with your CCleaner issue, you will have to sort out the A/V conflicts issue, and that means correctly uninstalling the ones you don't need.

If you have Avira Premium, maybe get rid of MSE which is free. Keep MBAM as long it isn't the full version running real time.

The choice is yours of course, as is the decision to follow this advice or not.

Let us know what you decide, and we'll help all we can with any advice you may need removing whichever of the A/V's you decide to remove, as there can be problems removing A/V applications with others installed.

See the last post on this page.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/56426422-5c5d-4296-a055-421b554f5eee

And if you've had a Malware problem, it may not have been cleaned from your system. If that could be the case, I would suggest following the advice in this forum thread ...

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=20120

... and then post the logs in our Spyware Hell section where our Spyware Moderator will check them out.

Hope that helps.

That's the whole point Gary. Although there may not have been any obvious side effects to running more than one A/V at the same time, there will be consequences, and some programs not working as they should could be one of those consequences.

Worse than CCleaner not working is the fact stated by one of the other guys, that you don't have effective protection from malware through running applications which conflict with each other, and put quite plainly, can cancel each other out.

Before anyone on here can help with your CCleaner issue, you will have to sort out the A/V conflicts issue, and that means correctly uninstalling the ones you don't need.

If you have Avira Premium, maybe get rid of MSE which is free. Keep MBAM as long it isn't the full version running real time.

Let us know what you decide, and we'll help all we can with any advice you may need removing whichever of the A/V's you decide to remove, as there can be problems removing A/V applications with others installed.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/56426422-5c5d-4296-a055-421b554f5eee

And if you've had a Malware problem, it may not have been cleaned from your system. If that could be the case, I would suggest following the advice in this forum thread ...

... and then post the logs in our Spyware Hell section where our Spyware Moderator will check them out.

Hope that helps.

I will uninstall MSE, I've already uninstalled Iobit Security Pro. I'll get back to you to see if it helped. Thank you for wanting to help me.

Hope that helps.

All this is good, I have now uninstalled MSE, Iobit Security Pro, turned off protection mode with AMW but none of this really helps my original problem, in that The Registry doe snot stop and only finds 6 or 7 erroneous registry entries while JV16T finds over 1100. I always preferred using CCleaner. It didn't even find all the stuff left over from uninstalling all of that.

• Moderators
only finds 6 or 7 erroneous registry entries while JV16T finds over 1100.

CCLeaner is a gentle reg checker and will ALWAYS find less than other programs

next issue taking too long, I assume we are only analysing and not cleaning, if this assumption is incorrct please refer to the advice in my signature.

Procedure

1) uncheck everything

2) check the first checkmark

3) analyis

3) i)if it gets stuck make note of this and move to step four

ii) if this goes through with out a hitch move to step four

4) uncheck the entry

5) check the next entry

6) repeat 3-5 until all entries have been checked and you've noted which entry(ies) have caused the hang

7) report back here with this information

you say you've done this but I see no report of what percentage is shown when you feel it's hung

a percent is shown throughout the scan

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Also can you please try running ccleaner in safe mode.

This can sometimes show that a software driver is preventing it running properly in normal mode if it cleans okay in safe mode.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I always prefer to use RevoUninstaller to remove things.

It uses whatever the target has provided for self removal,

and can observe the strange places that self removal visits.

This provides instant clues of bizarre but relevant registry keys that may need a final wipe,

so RevoUninstaller has powerful clues which no Registry Cleaner will see after the event.

Alan

Also can you please try running ccleaner in safe mode.

This can sometimes show that a software driver is preventing it running properly in normal mode if it cleans okay in safe mode.

I did all of the above. Checking, Unchecking and rechecking the various boxes. The same thing happens, no counter and never finishes.

I started in Safe Mode and it worked fine. The animated ribbon, a;beit a different one, did show 100% and stopped. The problem seems only to be the animated ribbon on top. It didn't find any more values, but on the same hand I did a thorough cleaning with another product,so I wasn't expecting to find anything else. I am not a novice. I was asked by someone up in the thread. "What is it I am trying to do?" I was only trying to make my computer run smoother because start-up and ahut-down were taking forever and I had uninstalled some garbage programs. So I knew there was lot of garbage. Unfortunately I didn't use Revo Uninstaller Pro to uninstall the programs. I have been using this program for 4 years now and I was just trying to be loyal as someone who has donated money to Piriform.

I agree also, that this thread is too long. Unfortunately it got sidetracked into an AV/AM problem when it has nothing to do with it. Thank you for your time and unless you have any suggestions, then please close this thread, but, please reply and tell me what you decide.

• Moderators

If ccleaner works for you in safe mode it points to it being perhaps a conflict with something you have running when in normal mode. This something doesn't load it's drivers when you start in safe mode.

Troubleshooting this would need you to test each startup item and could be quite time consuming. Only you can decide if you want to go down that road.

Even if you decide not to because you cannot face the hassle, don't worry about it, you're still very welcome here :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Hi Gary.

No one has suggested the thread is too long. I think you misread something one of the other guys said.

A topic can get as long as it needs to until a solution is found or not, and I don't really think it was sidetracked either, as sorting out your A/V situation was relevant to generally trying to find the cause of your problem.

No one's in any hurry here to close the thread, and we're happy to take as much time as it needs as long as you don't get fed up and frustrated yourself with the fact that it isn't straightforward.

Hazel's "Safe Mode" suggestion has pinpointed where the problem lies, but it will take a bit of work to isolate the little bugger behind the problem.

And I'll second what hazel says. If you're fed up with it and want to call it a day that's fine, but you can come back to it, or any other problem, any time you like. We aren't going anywhere.

:)

I was going to suggest running CCleaner in debug mode to see what it came up with.

Guess you guys have this one covered.

Peace!

Edit: Meanwhile, have you thought about trying an older version of CCleaner from Filehippo.com?

Perhaps start with 2.05 & see if it gives the same problem or not.

Alternatively, have you done a clean uninstall of the version you have, then deleted the x86 program files/ccleaner folder before reinstalling?

Or tried the CCleaner portable version?

These may or may not help, but I figured I would throw out a few suggestions to try... Perhaps it may help to pinpoint the problem.